View Poll Results: How do you think Blizzard should handle Challenge Mode Sets?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stick with the current plan, and retire them

    62 62.63%
  • Give all rewards for completing all Golds right now

    14 14.14%
  • Earn existing rewards in the new CM's

    6 6.06%
  • Further downscale players to run existing CM's

    17 17.17%
Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    How do you think existing Challenge Modes, and their rewards, should be handled?

    Here are the options:

    1. Exactly as they are. Remove the existing CM's and their gear from being attainable.

    2. Remove the CM's, but like the mounts, make the Armor account-wide, allowing someone with 9/9 Golds to get all of the Classes' armor.

    3. Allow the existing CM armor to be earned in the new CM's, either in addition to or as an alternative to the new CM armor.

    4. Further downscale players running MoP CM's by disabling all lvl 91+ abilities, and also tertiary stats.

  2. #2
    Stood in the Fire Cylom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    kuwait
    Posts
    397
    Nope, remove them.
    I wanna flex with my hard earned CM gear in WoD.

    What can I say, I love Female Gnomes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSwirl View Post
    People don't come back because the game is homogenized with no meaningful progression. Everyone is a winner, all your actions are irrelevant.

  3. #3
    High Overlord toomes211's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    130
    I really don't think downscaling them is a good idea. A hug amount of CC and CD's are disappearing, they'd have to rebalance them from scratch, essentially. It SEEMS like a great idea on paper, but, honestly, it would require a huge amount of work and balancing, and I would rather see that time spent on the new CM's rather then trying to rehash old content.

    I like the idea of the old CM gear being earnable in the new CM's in some way, but I really don't know how they would implement that in a fair fashion.

  4. #4
    I would love to see the Armour account wide but i doubt that will ever happen

  5. #5
    I agree with Cylom. I think Blizzard is handling this correctly, and as much as I'd like to get all of the CM sets, I don't have the patience or even necessarily the ability to on every single class. They've given us plenty of warning, as I don't expect 6.0 until late summer anyway.

  6. #6
    The Lightbringer Valyrian Stormclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    World's End Tavern, listening to the ETC.
    Posts
    3,929
    Same plan as right now, but with ALL CM rewards made account wide. Nothing like starting a new character and then wishing you could've gotten the CM gear for him.

  7. #7
    I am Murloc! Volitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victory Road.
    Posts
    5,202
    I don't want them gone CMs aren't hard they are just annoying to make a set for and find a group. Actually doing them is the easiest part.

    Not sure why people think there is any sort of prestige in them but whatever.

  8. #8
    I personally agree with Volitar; the CM's themselves aren't terribly difficult, just committing the time until it becomes muscle-memory. It's forming a group that's the real killer, and in a lot of ways, I feel like Blizzard made it infinitely more difficult when they announced their retirement. Suddenly, if you were capable of running CM's, it was a valuable commodity to be sold, instead of a community banding together to help each other earn them.

    And also, I think Valyrian touched on a good point, too. Myself, for example, I played my Warlock during most of MoP, so naturally that was the character I got the CM armor on. I was looking forward to leveling my Orc Warrior and Tauren Shaman up for WoD, since I've never had a high-level Horde character before, but it sucks knowing that even if I dedicate myself to learning those classes inside and out, those sets will remain out of reach. Hell, even my DK, I played him exceptionally well but I could never find a group; the CM armor was out of reach purely due to the social aspect (that, and apparently Heroism is the only way to get a DPS slot).

  9. #9
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,318
    In general, I disagree with anyone who wants something removed to preserve their 'prestige', but that's mainly because they need to get with the program: nobody cares what you have if they don't have it.

    I haven't been that bothered to get the CM sets, mostly I prefer older sets that very few people use, like BC dungeon sets or Wrath PvP sets. I still think the option to get them should be there for players to obtain later - removing things to protect the fragile egos of special snowflakes more often than not pisses people off who haven't yet reached the point where they could even try to get such things (like new players). Not much is really lost if anyone throws a tantrum and quits because other people can more easily get what they already have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's nothing wrong with Keynesian theory.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamwheedle View Post
    In general, I disagree with anyone who wants something removed to preserve their 'prestige', but that's mainly because they need to get with the program: nobody cares what you have if they don't have it.

    I haven't been that bothered to get the CM sets, mostly I prefer older sets that very few people use, like BC dungeon sets or Wrath PvP sets. I still think the option to get them should be there for players to obtain later - removing things to protect the fragile egos of special snowflakes more often than not pisses people off who haven't yet reached the point where they could even try to get such things (like new players). Not much is really lost if anyone throws a tantrum and quits because other people can more easily get what they already have.
    Hmm, I agree that removing stuff is in poor taste, but I do think it's important to have certain status-symbols, as well. Accurate or not, many players view Challenge Mode sets as a sign that "Oh, that guy must be pretty badass", because it's something that is truly earned, through something that is far more difficult than most of the content in the game is. I think it should still be attainable, but not in such a way that allows players to "steamroll" it. It's one of the reasons I think the Judgement Armor, for exactly, has lost much of its luster; it's *so* easily attainable, virtually anyone with a Paladin has it.

    The reason I want to see the sets remain, though, is because I think they play a pivotal role in inspiring players to actually play better, same as the Green-Fire quest. I went into the Green-Fire quest with an ilvl of something like 482, and the shit was rough -- far moreso than anything I'd ever faced. However, it inspired -- not forced, but inspired -- me to *really* learn the Warlock, inside and out, to truly master the Class. The shame, of course, is that players can easily steamroll that content even with SoO gear, and by the time players are lvl 100, it won't even register as an "achievement" of any sort.

    The Green-Fire quest-chain is, in that way, the ultimate representation of the best and worst case scenarios of "prestige" rewards. I still maintain they should automatically downscale players to a certain ilvl, since it's a purely visual reward. But at the same time, I would never recommend that they remove it, either. Do *something* to maintain the sense of challenge, keeping is as a "prestige" reward.

    Honestly, Blizzard is shooting themselves in the foot with some of their design-choices. They're already developed that content; if they keep those items in the game, it ensures they're getting the most out of it. Overwise, players are going consume the new content all that much faster, and grow bored all the more quickly. If they develop content to test players' abilities, then by God, preserve it!

  11. #11
    Scarab Lord Gimlix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands!
    Posts
    4,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Cylom View Post
    Nope, remove them.
    I wanna flex with my hard earned CM gear in WoD.
    This so hard.

    Srsly people should stop bitching about rewards pple greatly earned that is going to be unavailable.
    It would be a massive letdown if pple still can get the reward in WoD.

    CM is special for a reason.
    » Active MMO-Champion visitor since: 12-12-2012 «
    » Predict Warlords of Draenor to sell 3 Million copies at first day «

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    This so hard.

    Srsly people should stop bitching about rewards pple greatly earned that is going to be unavailable.
    It would be a massive letdown if pple still can get the reward in WoD.

    CM is special for a reason.
    It would only be disappointing if people could get it through *less* effort. CM's were never advertized as something that would be retired, so don't pretend that it factors into their appeal, as those plans were only announced just recently. It just seems a complete waste, to me, to retire something so iconic now, when they could tweak the CM's to provide the same challenge during WoD, and actually keep that content relevant.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Here are the options:

    1. Exactly as they are. Remove the existing CM's and their gear from being attainable.

    2. Remove the CM's, but like the mounts, make the Armor account-wide, allowing someone with 9/9 Golds to get all of the Classes' armor.

    3. Allow the existing CM armor to be earned in the new CM's, either in addition to or as an alternative to the new CM armor.

    4. Further downscale players running MoP CM's by disabling all lvl 91+ abilities, and also tertiary stats.
    Options 1/3 are the only viable.

    I like that the gear is character specific, and I've got it on both my characters (dps & healing).

    If they offer it retro in WoD CM's, I would like to see them at least require Gold in those as well.

    If they were to make it so everyone can get it with little to no effort, I wouldn't bother with CM's anymore. Sure, there are those who pay to get carried, but they're not nearly as prominent as they would be if it were just easier to get in general.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    I don't want them gone CMs aren't hard they are just annoying to make a set for and find a group. Actually doing them is the easiest part.

    Not sure why people think there is any sort of prestige in them but whatever.
    The entire point behind the armor is prestige. And I'm not sure why people think you should be able to wear CM armor on a new toon that you didn't run through the CMs. All of these kind of things should be tied to the expansion in which they're earned and the character on which they are earned.

  15. #15
    I really think they should be account wide for gold. I understand Blizzard wants to treat it like PvP, but the truth is challenge modes are not as much specific knowledge about your class, but of general play. I mean, if I have done it once as a DPS, changing the class and following the same strategy isnt too hard. For example, going from a destro warlock to ele shaman isnt that difficulty. Instead of Destro AoE I chain lightning, drop cap totem instead of dropping Shadowfury, stuff like that isnt too hard, what takes you doing well in challenge modes is knowing the pulls, knowing the strategies, being prepared.

    The titles shoudn't exist, imo, because they are far to comp-dependent. If you arent using one of the OP tanks, you just arent going to get a realm best time.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    The entire point behind the armor is prestige. And I'm not sure why people think you should be able to wear CM armor on a new toon that you didn't run through the CMs. All of these kind of things should be tied to the expansion in which they're earned and the character on which they are earned.
    Because knowing the pulls on my DK means I know the pulls if I did it again on my warlock, hunter, shaman, priest, etc.

  16. #16
    should have some huge event similar to blizzcon, but online(region wide) to create a hall of fame for the previous expansion with new special rewards/gear, and keep the old ones, while bringing new CM gear in wod.

  17. #17
    Whatever. I'll be rocking around in WoD with my Mistwalker title. Because THAT is prestige. Not a silly set of xmog armor you got and a fancy bird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonwolfe View Post
    In other words, he's worried about how sharp your bayonet is when you are firing RPG's.

  18. #18
    As long as my mounts are account wide I don't really care. The gear looks shit anyway.

  19. #19
    Mechagnome Razecog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandwrong View Post
    Whatever. I'll be rocking around in WoD with my Mistwalker title. Because THAT is prestige. Not a silly set of xmog armor you got and a fancy bird.
    Mistwalker? Did I miss something?

    OT: The armor should be account wide imo.
    Shaman Warrior Monk Rogue

    Stream
    When I feel earthquake, my hand automatically go to the dick. I stroke the dick and feel I have sex with the earth. All becoming calm.

  20. #20
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Hmm, I agree that removing stuff is in poor taste, but I do think it's important to have certain status-symbols, as well. Accurate or not, many players view Challenge Mode sets as a sign that "Oh, that guy must be pretty badass", because it's something that is truly earned, through something that is far more difficult than most of the content in the game is. I think it should still be attainable, but not in such a way that allows players to "steamroll" it. It's one of the reasons I think the Judgement Armor, for exactly, has lost much of its luster; it's *so* easily attainable, virtually anyone with a Paladin has it.
    The problem with what you're suggesting is that to have 'status symbols', such a thing as 'status' has to exist. Apart from a few friends a person might play with, or guild peers if they got into a particularly good one, nobody really cares what other people have, and every ostensible achievement can be written off as not earned if the audience determines that the subject was carried, or paid for it, or whatever.

    So they're not status symbols. What are they, then?

    Toys. And the kids who have these toys don't want other kids to be able to buy them, even when they're old and discounted, and they already have the newest, flashiest toys.

    My warlock has green fire, too. I got it a while back, before SoO and Timeless Isle were out, and the quest was pretty damn hard at my low ilvl. I don't care if they leave the quest in the game for people to do once WoD comes out, because I don't measure the value of my so-called 'status symbols' against other people, who else has them and who doesn't. I couldn't care less whether other people get green fire, it has absolutely no impact on my gameplay, but might make someone else happy.

    When you're arguing against something that won't impact your gameplay at all, but has the chance to make someone else happy... Well, you're just a despicable person. A nasty, immature, selfish person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's nothing wrong with Keynesian theory.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •