Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Shield and a one hander? How bout you blow me before i drop my 2hander.

Now a 2h + shield I could get on. Totally weird but it go for it. We would need a good shield slam or similar filler though.
    Change Divine Storm to Shield Storm! Throw a shield at every enemy within 8 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurfz View Post
    My Main is a Paladin and I used to run as a ret. I have since switched to primarily Protection spec. Because, lets face it. Retribution Paladins are soooo boring to play. I had so much fun leveling my paladin and then I got to level 90 and started raiding with it in Ret spec and I started falling asleep. Furthermore, there is something wrong with a paladin using a two handed weapon. I don't know what it is. But, when I think paladin. I think Mace and a Shield. I see paladins as Holy Crusaders that weild a Mace and a Shield. So, I think ret paladins should play a little bit more like an enhancement shaman. But with a mace and a shield. I mean Protection paladins already use complete DPS gear to tank with. But, a protection paladin with a 2 handed weapon that would just be silly. My as well just call us DKs...of course Death Knights with the ability to heal themselves seems kind of odd anyhow( I know they do have the ability to heal themselves) but it still seems odd. But, that's a different topic.

I think seems how prot uses DPS gear My as well just make Ret use Mace and a Shield. you could allow them to use axes and swords. It is just a personal ideal that paladins should use a mace. That way you could just use all the same gear for both specs. Blizzard could set it up pretty much like they already have it. Where Protection paladins would get active mitigation abilities and Retribution paladins could get Dmg enhancement abilities. That way Ret paladins could tank in ret spec. They would still have to switch specs to tank.

But, I just think a Paladin looks silly with a 2 handed weapon. Also, the DPS rotation of Retribution paladins needs to be fixed...it's to boring and really doesn't take that much skill to play. It's basically everything on CD. All the time. Plus if I could use Sheilds as a retribution paladin I could use avengers shield which would be alright by me.

Well those are my thoughts. Pls post your thoughts about this. I get a half of penny from Jesus every time someone responds
    But Uther used a giant hammer!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to see a sword & board option but sadly they give it to the class, who already has the most weapon comps possible over two specs (soon 3). 1h+shield, dualwield 1h, dualwield 2h, 2h alone. Ret has.... 2h... with exactly 1 spec..... yay, i like the wide variety of playstyle ret offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurfz View Post
    As for the boring part I get tired of the neverending Holy Power > Templar verdict combo....with the occasional Divine storm. Protection is far more engaging even though its just a Holy power > SotR combo with the occasional Eternal flame; because, you need to try and watch for high dmg moments to use SoTR and try and Time your EF usage. It makes it more interactive. In PVE its very easy to just zone out and lose focus and just continue Spamming your Templars verdict as ret. PVP it's much less boring. But, that is because you trying to constantly adjust to an ever changing situation.

But, I'm glad your not totally against the idea of Rets being able to use a Shield. I still think the idea was a win. I guess to many ret paladins are stuck in their ways. I thought the idea of avengers shield in a dps spec would have swayed some people.

It's an opinionated topic. As a personal philosophy I would assume most posts are opinionated. Especially, in the world of computers. Everything inside this box can pretty much be adjusted at a few keystrokes whenever the powers that be decide. So, its all capable of being adjusted. But, for the most part. Yes, this topic is based entirely on my opinion. As for true belonging of the "paladin" seems how no one alive today was alive in the true time of the paladin it's really hard to say if paladins used sword and shield more or a two handed weapons. The only resources you have to declare one over the other would be a handful of historical references which may or may not be valid. Seems how no one can truly give an eye witness account.
    The problem is you're asking for an objective change on a singular subjective maneuver. Can't really end well.

As for 2 handed paladin weapons, the paladin hero in WC3 used a 2h hammer (not to mention Arthas himself wielded one too, which you had to get as part of the Shadowmourne questline). And you may have missed the post on page one about tirion with the Ashbringer. So yes, there were paladins in the past with 2h paladin weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Veritus7 View Post
    The problem is you're asking for an objective change on a singular subjective maneuver. Can't really end well.

As for 2 handed paladin weapons, the paladin hero in WC3 used a 2h hammer (not to mention Arthas himself wielded one too, which you had to get as part of the Shadowmourne questline). And you may have missed the post on page one about tirion with the Ashbringer. So yes, there were paladins in the past with 2h paladin weapons.
    Maraad and Uther use huge hammers

To be honest Paladins ever since WC3 were the 2handed hammer guys. It's iconic for Ret.

If there should be a class to dps Sword/Board that should be a Warrior. Especially something like Polearm/Shield or 2hander/shield.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Maraad and Uther use huge hammers
    Two handers ftw >.>
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    To be honest Paladins ever since WC3 were the 2handed hammer guys. It's iconic for Ret.

If there should be a class to dps Sword/Board that should be a Warrior. Especially something like Polearm/Shield or 2hander/shield.
    this is Sparta moment?
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    After playing Crusader in D3, I'd like an option to dps with a 1h + shield. But, of course, they had to give that to warriors. Yay.

Makes things to easy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Telwar View Post
    After playing Crusader in D3, I'd like an option to dps with a 1h + shield. But, of course, they had to give that to warriors. Yay.
    yes this would be nice

I think there should be an option to play tank specs as DPS for the lose of mitigation.

A shield isn't just for defense. It is also a weapon. And a weapon isn't only for offense. You parry with it.

I certainly don't want ret to lose the 2H option - it's iconic, like others have said. But I'd love to see the equivalent of Gladiator Stance for either prot or ret, because 1H + shield is also worthy.

I always thought it might be cool and unique for Ret to be able to wield a 2hander and a Shield, I think it would fit them well.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    Just wait for 7.0 and Stance of the Palliator.

(sort-of serious — Blizz is onto a new experimental path of using talent choices to allow you to have a "4th spec" without really having a 4th spec, so if Glad Stance works out they'll probably expand it further)
    Bookmarking for future told you so post.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Shield and One Hander dpsing is just a no no for Blizzard to even think about balancing.

The fact that you have a shield means you "should" be taking less damage, like a tank, but you are a dps spec and shouldn't be trying to take less damage rather you are trying to deal as much as you can.

You can only have a single one handed weapon so every ability you have has to deal a ton of % weapon damage to compete with a 2 handed build. Overall just too much number crunching for a small aesthetic look.

The fact that you have a shield means you "should" be taking less damage, like a tank,
    By that logic a Holy Paladin and an Elemental Shaman can also tank the boss. They have a shield.

You can only have a single one handed weapon so every ability you have has to deal a ton of % weapon damage to compete with a 2 handed build. Overall just too much number crunching for a small aesthetic look.
    Fury warriors use 2 ; 2 -handed weapons. That has to screw up the numbers. Monks can Use a 2 hand or Dual wield. That has to screw up the numbers.

Ultimately, Since its blizzard job to crunch numbers I have no sympathy in the idea of making them break out there calculators. I mean who wants to play a game developed by people that can get away with saying. " it was just to much work". Its like buying a game from a developer that says here at blizzard we don't really like to make video games that require mathematical content.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Do Prot then if you like that playstyle so much. Paladins aren't always using shields. I like my two hander Paladin thank you.

Yeah, a 1h and shield would kill the feeling of everything for me, if I'm being honest. I'd leave 1h and Shield for Prot.

I wouldn't so much mind a 2her and shield as an option, but as a regular thing I wouldn't want it.

If anything I'd want for visual flavor only, the ability to wield a 2her in one hand and a Libram in another, with no practical purpose other thank looks, and to see you toss out spells with that hand.

Paladins definitely do not look silly, or out of a place with a 2h weapon. Paladins to me have always perfectly exemplified the use of a 2h weapon, either a Big mace or Sword.

Something that did throw me off was that Yrel's mace (upgraded Hammer of the Naaru?) is listed as a 1her, while the graphics are the size of a 2her.

Yrel's Mace

Bastard Mace, perhaps (like the Quel'delar blades)? I wonder what they are doing/going for there, or if the model is a simple placeholder for the actual 1h model (which is the most likely reason, as Beta is Beta).

Perhaps waiting for a personalized/unique/alt version of this 1h Mace.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    Just wait for 7.0 and Stance of the Palliator.

(sort-of serious — Blizz is onto a new experimental path of using talent choices to allow you to have a "4th spec" without really having a 4th spec, so if Glad Stance works out they'll probably expand it further)
    I actually see this as a replacement to traditional leveling, much in the ways of Paragon Levels in Diablo 3.

I truly think that post WoD we'll ditch the normal leveling system we have now, since we'll hit the milestone of Level 100, and instead focus on instead of our traditional levels, Paragon levels with bonuses to add flavor. They see leveling as tedious and a deterrent to most people, and with their Level 90 boost, I think that's one of the first signs that they too are over leveling and their old stance on it.

Honestly, it'd be much more effective to allow everybody to be max level, and then scale them/their gear down to go through past content for added bonuses, clearly the advantage going to those at "max" paragon level.

It definitely opens up the options of, as you said, an effective 4th spec, at the least, unique flavored specs.
    Last edited by Krekko; 2014-04-22 at 03:01 AM.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Well, changing what kind of weapon you're wearing wouldn't change the ret rotation, so it wouldn't be a real impact really.

But would be cool with different weapon choices for sure

what about paladin plates only have int, and prot/ret damage are sp based?

Quote Originally Posted by paladative View Post
    what about paladin plates only have int, and prot/ret damage are sp based?
    I think I could accept that. As far as I can tell Holy paladins are the only plate wearers that use intel. I might be wrong. But I can't think of any other plate wearers that would benefit from intel. TBH there really is a lot of gear going to waste right now in groups that don't have a holy paladin in it. I think I have 3 pieces in my bank on my paladin that I picked up just for xmog that are plate intel. That I don't even use because my paladin is Prot/ret.