Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    The Lightbringer Gaiwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,617

    Question Zero Death Challenges

    Celestalon recently said that ironman levelling is going to become much harder with the changes in WoD. I was just wondering what people's takes are on simply zero death levelling. Has anyone around here done either the zero deaths challenge or perhaps even the ironman one? They both sound fascinating, and I am inclined to want to give at least zero deaths to 90 a shot. Thoughts? Comments? Experiences?

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer Zoaric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The United States of America, Rapture, or Orgrimmar
    Posts
    3,185
    I would absolutely love to try it sometime. So far it has proved impossible due to
    pitifully slow internet speeds, but it looks like a lot of fun.

    (Also, yay, a poster from my second favorite country! XD)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    You can't fight porn on the internet, you may as well declare war on something overwhelming like water on Earth's surface - or something ephemeral like "terror" (lol sorry, had to do it) - or something both overwhelming and ephemeral... like porn on the internet.
    #GamerGate

  3. #3
    The Lightbringer Valyrian Stormclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    World's End Tavern, listening to the ETC.
    Posts
    3,949
    I always ironman challenge new chars now because qute simply, the default 2014 WoW leveling experience is unmeaningful. You have absolutely no idea hw good it feels to get a new char all the way from 1 to 90 ironman style. No heirlooms, no AH, no LFR, grouping only with felllow ironmen for leveling, etc. The no deaths part takes some adjustment, you need to stop rushing in and start strategizing each and every fight. I'm glad it will be even more challenging in WoD.

  4. #4
    Moderator Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    6,961
    Worst part is, the Ironman challenge is harder than just zero death.

    You have so many limitations. Though, it is quite fine... and makes you a bit paranoid.. I have been thinking of doing it, but never got that far, hehe.. Just couldn't go with all those restrictions. Hehe.

    http://www.wowironman.com/rules

    Only White or Grey gear. No Heirlooms of any kind.
    No transfer of gear, items, or money from any other character (yours or others).
    No gear enhancements, including gems, enchanting, and reforging. Class abilities are allowed (eg. Rogue poisons, Shaman imbues).
    No specialization, talent points, or glyphs. No pet talent points.
    No professions or secondary skills, except for First Aid.
    No potions, flasks, or elixirs except for required quest items.
    No food buffs or other external buffs (including buffs from items and other players).
    No groups or assistance from other characters, even if not grouped.
    No dungeons, raids, battlegrounds, or arenas.
    No guilds, except for level 1 guilds created specifically for the Ironman Challenge.
    No Refer-A-Friend.
    No addons which assist in combat and/or leveling (eg. leveling guides, Ovale).
    THE BIG ONE: No deaths. Character death for any reason disqualifies the character
    If you disapprove of moderation, seek an Admin or Global Moderator.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    R.I.P Project 'Titan' - My curious mind will still think of you!

  5. #5
    The Lightbringer Valyrian Stormclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    World's End Tavern, listening to the ETC.
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Worst part is, the Ironman challenge is harder than just zero death.

    You have so many limitations. Though, it is quite fine... and makes you a bit paranoid.. I have been thinking of doing it, but never got that far, hehe.. Just couldn't go with all those restrictions. Hehe.

    http://www.wowironman.com/rules
    I always followed every rule except the no grouping part. Playing a multiplayer game all by your self defeats the point of playing a multiplayer game. Being able to socialize is one of the must have reasons for playing WoW.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    I always followed every rule except the no grouping part. Playing a multiplayer game all by your self defeats the point of playing a multiplayer game. Being able to socialize is one of the must have reasons for playing WoW.
    Well then you never completed the ironman.... breaking a rule is breaking a rule no matter what one it is.

  7. #7
    The Lightbringer Valyrian Stormclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    World's End Tavern, listening to the ETC.
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by re1gn1te View Post
    Well then you never completed the ironman.... breaking a rule is breaking a rule no matter what one it is.
    ...Dude, they are a set of guidelines, not laws.

  8. #8
    Moderator Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    6,961
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    ...Dude, they are a set of guidelines, not laws.
    Indeed, it isn't a life rule as the actual challenge isn't running anymore either. Though, it is fun... but I tend to bore with the equipment rule, haha
    If you disapprove of moderation, seek an Admin or Global Moderator.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    R.I.P Project 'Titan' - My curious mind will still think of you!

  9. #9
    The Lightbringer Gaiwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    ...Dude, they are a set of guidelines, not laws.
    You are absolutely right. We pay, so we get to choose how we play. If I feel up to it, I will definitely at least go for zero deaths. At least with the ironman rules you have no time wasted with professions, tweaking gear, playing the AH, etc. It might take extra time to strategise fights, but you are avoiding a lot of the bloat associated with playing through the game in a "regular" manner. I'm kind of keen to give it a shot, but a bit apprehensive, as I'm not sure how far I would get without the "crutch" of having a normal health pool, talents etc, which make the game fun.

    At least with a zero deaths challenge, you can set a few rules down that you choose if you want it to be more challenging. More like a triathlon than an ironman challenge, hehe.

    Speaking of lag, being in NZ we have some pretty bad lag, so that's another obstacle to overcome. :/

  10. #10
    Stood in the Fire Cylom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    kuwait
    Posts
    397
    I hope they add an achievement for the Iron man challenge, doing it without earning anything is the only reason I'm not doing it :[]

    What can I say, I love Female Gnomes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSwirl View Post
    People don't come back because the game is homogenized with no meaningful progression. Everyone is a winner, all your actions are irrelevant.

  11. #11
    Moderator Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    6,961
    Quote Originally Posted by Cylom View Post
    I hope they add an achievement for the Iron man challenge, doing it without earning anything is the only reason I'm not doing it :[]
    Well, you earn the challenge + a ton of gold from vendoring all you loot, hehe.

    Though, yeah, could be cool if Blizzard added that.
    If you disapprove of moderation, seek an Admin or Global Moderator.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    R.I.P Project 'Titan' - My curious mind will still think of you!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Well, you earn the challenge + a ton of gold from vendoring all you loot, hehe.
    The "challenge" exists only in your mind and what are you doing with the loot otherwise? There are so many heirlooms that only a couple of slots matter, the rest is vendored or disenchanted.
    I run dungeons for the fun when rushing them and pulling as much as possible, ironman challenge is prolonging a boring leveling experience even further.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    ...Dude, they are a set of guidelines, not laws.
    That's like saying you're going to complete the joey challenge on pokemon and you don't catch a rattata. If you're going to participate in a challenge you have to play by the rules if you want to complete it.
    If you ever wonder how dumb people really are then consider this: even in the golden age of smart heals dumb people still find ways to die.

  14. #14
    Moderator Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    6,961
    Quote Originally Posted by banur View Post
    The "challenge" exists only in your mind and what are you doing with the loot otherwise? There are so many heirlooms that only a couple of slots matter, the rest is vendored or disenchanted.
    I run dungeons for the fun when rushing them and pulling as much as possible, ironman challenge is prolonging a boring leveling experience even further.
    Did you read the overall topic, though?

    All challenges are in your mind only...

    .. and if you atleast followed one of the noted guidelines, then you wouldn't be using looms, you would vendor it all but whites and greys.

    The whole idea about the Ironman Challenge is to "earn the challenge" as in, you do it for yourself.. you ain't doing it for others and don't think many would just do it "just because".

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragashii View Post
    That's like saying you're going to complete the joey challenge on pokemon and you don't catch a rattata. If you're going to participate in a challenge you have to play by the rules if you want to complete it.
    Well, the challenge isn't live anymore, so it is basicly just some guidelines you can try to follow. Not laws. Even if you competed, they were only volunteer rules, not laws. Though it was rules to keep you in the challenge, not in the game. Of course, if you didn't follow them, then you couldn't compete on a fair base like others.

    Many near to complete in the challenge got removed due to using potions just before they hit 85,
    Last edited by Gehco; 2014-04-13 at 10:11 AM.
    If you disapprove of moderation, seek an Admin or Global Moderator.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    R.I.P Project 'Titan' - My curious mind will still think of you!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragashii View Post
    That's like saying you're going to complete the joey challenge on pokemon and you don't catch a rattata. If you're going to participate in a challenge you have to play by the rules if you want to complete it.
    Who made up the rules? There are about 20 different versions. You picked the ´rules´ you liked the best and decided those are the official rules for something that isn´t official at all. There have been numerous ´competitions´ and almost without exception, they all had different rules.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaiwyn View Post
    Celestalon recently said that ironman levelling is going to become much harder with the changes in WoD. I was just wondering what people's takes are on simply zero death levelling. Has anyone around here done either the zero deaths challenge or perhaps even the ironman one? They both sound fascinating, and I am inclined to want to give at least zero deaths to 90 a shot. Thoughts? Comments? Experiences?
    If your only goal is to level to 90 without dying, that would be fairly simple just by questing. I think the only time I die with most of my alts is from falling.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    All challenges are in your mind only...
    .. and if you atleast followed one of the noted guidelines, then you wouldn't be using looms, you would vendor it all but whites and greys.
    That was in response to you claiming one benefit of the challenge is getting "a ton of gold from vendoring all you loot", which you would do when wearing heirlooms as well. So the only thing left is the challenge in your mind.

  17. #17
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    469
    Never tried, and don't plan it. The limitations sound ridiculous and illogical. Why no specialization? Why no talents? And at the same time not all addons are restricted, only combat/leveling ones. Why not go further and play with only 3 abilities on action bar at once. Or play only at night. With sound and music off, and ambient on.

    I might understand trying to level vanilla-style, with no addons, quest areas on map and minimap turned off, etc. I even leveled a pacifistic druid who only kills out of necessity, when I abandoned quests like "go kill stuff because they have treasure that I want" with RP.
    But this is stupid.

  18. #18
    Moderator Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    6,961
    Quote Originally Posted by banur View Post
    That was in response to you claiming one benefit of the challenge is getting "a ton of gold from vendoring all you loot", which you would do when wearing heirlooms as well. So the only thing left is the challenge in your mind.
    You gain even more than wearing your looms, and you aren't wearing the looms when doing it. But as I stated, that is one of the only benefits by doing the challenge. The other being that you actually did it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Tirilka View Post
    Never tried, and don't plan it. The limitations sound ridiculous and illogical. Why no specialization? Why no talents? And at the same time not all addons are restricted, only combat/leveling ones. Why not go further and play with only 3 abilities on action bar at once. Or play only at night. With sound and music off, and ambient on.

    I might understand trying to level vanilla-style, with no addons, quest areas on map and minimap turned off, etc. I even leveled a pacifistic druid who only kills out of necessity, when I abandoned quests like "go kill stuff because they have treasure that I want" with RP.
    But this is stupid.
    Well, you take it a bit too off the hook. The challenge rules were made to make it an actual challenge. Things can be completed way faster if you get talents and specc, hence it is not there, to make it more of a challenge. But limiting it further in choices would just make it an undesired challenge.
    Last edited by Gehco; 2014-04-13 at 10:35 AM.
    If you disapprove of moderation, seek an Admin or Global Moderator.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    R.I.P Project 'Titan' - My curious mind will still think of you!

  19. #19
    No one seems to have mentioned the obvious loophole of Pet Battling in those rules.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    No one seems to have mentioned the obvious loophole of Pet Battling in those rules.
    Because that wasn't available when it became popular.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •