Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Glad vets aren't negatively impacted by the ACA, but if I have to read more about how the US Military has kept us safe since WW2 I might be physically ill. For all the good that has been done by our armed forces over the last almost century it's just as easy to point out the ill they've brought.

Nothing against vets, would just like a little more reality here. There's a very good reason that quite a few of the founders and early Americans were opposed to standing armies.

Quote Originally Posted by Niroshi View Post
    Glad vets aren't negatively impacted by the ACA, but if I have to read more about how the US Military has kept us safe since WW2 I might be physically ill. For all the good that has been done by our armed forces over the last almost century it's just as easy to point out the ill they've brought.

Nothing against vets, would just like a little more reality here. There's a very good reason that quite a few of the founders and early Americans were opposed to standing armies.
    I understand where your coming from, but understand that that world is alot smaller than it used to be. We are all united on a global economic scale.

Fact is, we haven't had another worldwide conflict since WW2 and I'd argue that having a strong military is partially a reason for that.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I understand where your coming from, but understand that that world is alot smaller than it used to be. We are all united on a global economic scale.

Fact is, we haven't had another worldwide conflict since WW2 and I'd argue that having a strong military is partially a reason for that.
    I agree with you that American military might is one major reason there hasn't been another large scale conflict like that, it makes me uncomfortable to admit but there is something like a Pax Americana going on in the world today and it's not an entirely bad thing. From the American perspective anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping View Post
    Why should veterans be treated any different from non-army folk? I have never understood this. All of this "hero" stuff annoys me too. Here in the UK at least it is easy to sign up, and all the people I know have gone into the forces because they haven't found another job. They are not heroes, they are just making a living like everyone else.
    Like Rich said, most vets don't like being called heroes.

A buddy of mine earned the Navy Cross for his actions in Afghanistan and really doesn't like being called a hero. Even though I consider him one (a lot of our brothers would be dead if it weren't for him) I don't call him that because I know he doesn't like it.

And a lot of people join the military because it is a good job opportunity. Whether you agree with it or not, you put a lot more on the line when joining the military (especially a combat job) then you do at most jobs.

And I've had the honor of meeting some of your guyses SAS warriors. Top notch guys all around. Very few people I'd rather have around in a firefight. And I love the tea that those guys had. That shit was legit.

OT: Thanks for the info!! Greatly appreciated.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

15+ Year Old Account
    I like to hear that the SAS are also renowned for good tea, you learn something new everyday on Gen-OT

The More You Know! .--*
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    I like to hear that the SAS are also renowned for good tea, you learn something new everyday on Gen-OT

The More You Know! .--*
    Is definitely reassuring to know that after rescuing you from kidnappers, the SAS can make you a good cup of tea to help calm you down.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am very happy with the service I get when I go to my local VA clinic. Those who complain about it, are those who like to point out the negative things because they feel like they deserved even more special care. One also must remember those who work at the VA hospitals and clinics are human. Some are good and some are bad. Just like the rest of the health professionals.

The VA is a reflection of what we could have in this country if we had Universal health care. Which would be good. Use to veterans had to fill out a eligible form each year to see if they still qualified for the same benefits. It is income dependable. But recently they stopped that and now the veterans have to do nothing. The VA will occasionally look at income tax returns to see if a change needs to be done to their benefits. You can make 40k a year and still qualify for no cost doctor visits and only have a 8 dollar per prescription cost. The income threshold is pretty high and those who would have no out of pocket costs even for drugs, can be higher than some think. I urge all veterans to check it out. It is ton better program for them than the crappy Obummercare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post

The More You Know! .--*
    Yeah I have no clue what it was or where they got it but man it was good stuff lol.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis