Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Why is Frost the only Mages option right now?

Frost is the best leveling spec, the best PvP spec and the best pve spec untill ilvl 550. When you get 550 + ilvl gear, which is only available for 5 - 10% of wow player base, Fire and Arcane also become viable, but not superior. So what is the point of having 3 specs if only one suits to almost everything?
    Last edited by mmoc4f70414cfa; 2014-04-13 at 05:49 PM.

Deleted
    Fire and Arcane also become viable
    So really it's not the only option is it

Deleted
    Only available for 5-10% of the player base?
    It has been said by top arcane mages, that arcane is also very strong in full Flex gear. In that ilvl you could also easily play fire.
    Lvling is stupid as an example. Glyph arcane slow and arcane is easy with lvling.
    Glyph frostfirebolt and fire does the same dmg while slowing mobs = lvling.
    In PvP it's true. The others are viable but frost is better.
    In conclusion: You're wrong, and you should feel bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
    Frost is the best leveling spec, the best PvP spec and the best pve spec untill ilvl 450. When you get 450 + ilvl gear, which is only available for 5 - 10% of wow player base, Fire and Arcane also become viable, but not superior. So what is the point of having 3 specs if only one suits to almost everything?
    And, actually, it looks like this is not enough too. In WoD, in fact, looking at the alpha notes, the crit chance cap on frozen targets will be increased to 35,3 (if I am not wrong) up to 26,5, haste scaling looks high as hell too (frostbolt makes everything proc, even BF), plus, multristrike scaling looks terribly good too (with 200% multistrike your brain freeze will have 100% proc chance).

So, basically, frost could become not only as good as fire and arcane, pve wise, but (if we are really unlucky ) even better than them. So you can just have 2 frost specs and forget about the other ones too, even if you, (sadly), like them.

Ok, we can just speculate about pve and scalings, I agree, still, the gap between frost and fire/arcane, as far as pvp, exping and soloing (fire and arcane will lose lots of ccs too) is concerned, is too wide. So even if, pve wise, these specs will be balanced, frost will still be the clear winner in all the other aspects. If frost will be the clear winner in pve scenarios too, then developers could actually rename the "mage" class into "frost", or "frosty", to make it sounds cute.

Advice: /whisper Sifu "Mate, as a no frost fellow mage, I suggest you to not openly declare war to frost mages. Don't forget that the vast majority of mages play as frost (well, who don't like free wins) and, until frost won't be the ultimate spec, they will fight everyone who stands in their way."

p.s.: Noone can read that but Sifu, if it was not clear :P.
    Last edited by Seneca; 2014-04-13 at 01:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread is ridiculous. Frost is the best Mage PvP spec, it always has been. Is it really too much for it to be usable in raids?

Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    This thread is ridiculous. Frost is the best Mage PvP spec, it always has been. Is it really too much for it to be usable in raids?
    No what's ridiculous it's that frost is the go to spec for everything in MoP, it's broken OP in PvP and far ahead of the other two in PvE, I know arcane was OP in PvE during cata but it needed to be adjusted not being completely gutted and made unplayable unless you want to glue yourself to the same spot till the end of time, I hate frost because I if I would want to deal with a derpy pet I would play a hunter and I don't like fire rngfest and dots, really wish they fix arcane and fire for WoD and make them superior pvewise, forst is already king in pvp making it the best in pve too is overkill
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromedes View Post
    Welcome to the Alliance, faction of compromises and unfulfilled desires. Want Vrykul? Here is compromise in form of kul tiran half giants we never heard of. Wanna High elves? Here is compromise in form of void elves we never heard of. Wanna broken draenei? awww fuck it
    About ganking ("world pvp") being dead now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Maybe you could wear a mask and push over little kids while they walk home from school instead?

Deleted
    Guys stop complaining. We have 3 completely different specs where each is good in specific situations. If you are going to play only ONE spec then yea Frost is the spec that offers more choices. But still it's not THE best in PvE in Single Target, it's not THE BEST in multy-target not the best in mobility, not the best in cleave. It is the best pvp spec and that is due to the whole idea of the spec.
    we have alot of options and all specs are competitive

Quote Originally Posted by rpdrichard View Post
    far ahead of the other two in PvE
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Berlinia View Post
    Guys stop complaining. We have 3 completely different specs where each is good in specific situations. If you are going to play only ONE spec then yea Frost is the spec that offers more choices. But still it's not THE best in PvE in Single Target, it's not THE BEST in multy-target not the best in mobility, not the best in cleave. It is the best pvp spec and that is due to the whole idea of the spec.
    we have alot of options and all specs are competitive
    Frost has a good mobility almost as good as fire, frost constant damage paired with that makes it far superior to arcane, the little reliance on rng makes it better than fire, and is already broken OP in pvp, I don't see much of a choice there
    Welcome to the Alliance, faction of compromises and unfulfilled desires. Want Vrykul? Here is compromise in form of kul tiran half giants we never heard of. Wanna High elves? Here is compromise in form of void elves we never heard of. Wanna broken draenei? awww fuck it
    Maybe you could wear a mask and push over little kids while they walk home from school instead?

Frost is the best leveling spec, the best PvP spec and the best pve spec untill ilvl 450. When you get 450 + ilvl gear, which is only available for 5 - 10% of wow player base, Fire and Arcane also become viable, but not superior. So what is the point of having 3 specs if only one suits to almost everything?
    I doubt the 450 ilevel. 450 is ready for dungeon heroics not raids. Even a boosted 90 starts with a 480. Frost is very powerful at lower ilvls. But Arcane over takes it around 560-570ish. Fire has always needed a high ilvl as has been the case in almost every xpac to date. Usually you'll start seeing fire mages in the last tier of an xpac. Just with mop though frost has been really good for longer than it normally is pve wise.

Can we please just close this? It's either incredibly stupid and the OP needs to go us the search function, or thar be trolls here.

Deleted
    All 3 mage specs are viable, at least in pve. Yea, fire is pretty shit until you get some decent gear, but why would you care what spec is viable for doing previous content LFR. Fire is viable in flex/lfr gear. Aslong as you can get 4pc. Arcane is pretty viable at all gear levels, just not so much in 10 man raids.

...When you get 450 + ilvl gear, which is only available for 5 - 10% of wow player base, ...
    I'm sure 450 is easy to reach for everyone. 496 gear is dropping on Timeless Isle and you get 528 gear in LFR.
    If you mistyped and actually wanted to refer to 550+ you estimation may be correct.

It's people who interpret "slightly better" as "only option" that are the problem. If you're a little bit better at playing another spec that will generally be better.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frost is the most common PvP spec, but fire can work just as well. Frost is definitely the strongest PvE spec at low gear levels, but it is not be any means the best at mid/high gear levels. OP is making baseless accusations. I can't tell if you were serious with the 450 ilvl thing or if it was a typo. 450 ilvl is barely above quest greens lol.

All this in-fighting is something I only find within the mage class. Spec vs spec doesn't happen with my Warrior, my druid or my paladin. I've never seen locks or hunters do it either.

My advice? STFU and like your mage and not your spec.

let frost have its moment its been shit for far too long.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    All this in-fighting is something I only find within the mage class. Spec vs spec doesn't happen with my Warrior, my druid or my paladin. I've never seen locks or hunters do it either.

My advice? STFU and like your mage and not your spec.
    Maybe because they don't have three different specs aimed to the same job? And hunters and locks have the same fight all time...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    let frost have its moment its been shit for far too long.
    Frost has always been the go to for pvp

Deleted
    Ups, i meant ilvl 550. 450 was a typo. Fixed that. What i want to say, if Frost is the strongest pve spec at lower gear levels, that means, that majority of casual players who are not able to finish mid/harder raids, are somehow forced to stay frost if they want to be competitive ... I really don't get that Blizzard obsession with Frost ... Not that I don't like Frost, but I just feel some lazy design for other 2 specs ...
    Last edited by mmoc4f70414cfa; 2014-04-13 at 06:01 PM.

Ups, i meant ilvl 550. 450 was a typo. Fixed that. What i want to say, if Frost is the strongest pve spec at lower gear levels, that means, that majority of casual players who are not able to finish mid/harder raids, are somehow forced to stay frost if they want to be competitive ... I really don't get that Blizzard obsession with Frost ... Not that I don't like Frost, but I just feel some lazy design for other 2 specs ...
    That's the main issue and the other main problem I have with frost is the pet, if I would want to deal with a derpy pet I would play a lock or a hunter, miss the days when the elemental was a cd and you weren't stuck with it all the time
    Last edited by rpdrichard; 2014-04-13 at 06:06 PM. Reason: typo