Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    The Lightbringer Tehterokkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,880
    Quote Originally Posted by rpdrichard View Post
    Maybe because they don't have three different specs aimed to the same job? And hunters and locks have the same fight all time...



    Frost has always been the go to for pvp
    If I could reroll to same iLvl Lock from my Hunter, I'd do it. Hunter specs are the same rotation wise, no flavour.

    As a Lock you have 3 clear options: DoT spec, Whack-a-mole spec, Nuke spec focusing on massive hits with Chaos Bolt.
    For the expansion after WoD, I sincerely hope they revisit all classes/specs(especially the pure DPS classes) and remake them from scratch like Warlocks.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by rpdrichard View Post
    Frost has always been the go to for pvp
    i was talking about PvE. until WoD comes out PvP is nothing but a pathetic CC fest.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
    Ups, i meant ilvl 550. 450 was a typo. Fixed that. What i want to say, if Frost is the strongest pve spec at lower gear levels, that means, that majority of casual players who are not able to finish mid/harder raids, are somehow forced to stay frost if they want to be competitive ... I really don't get that Blizzard obsession with Frost ... Not that I don't like Frost, but I just feel some lazy design for other 2 specs ...
    The problem with this entire thread is that you assume casual players who cannot finish normal modes care about being competitive.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    It's people who interpret "slightly better" as "only option" that are the problem. If you're a little bit better at playing another spec that will generally be better.
    Yeah, I don't think frost is slightly better in pvp or solo/lvling, try again.
    It's that lvling is so easy that no matter how big the diffrence you can still level and do quests fine, but that doesn't change the big diffrence. At high itemlvl though Fire might be better at soloing elite rarespawns than frost because you can kill them in the altertime combo with all cooldowns used. Altertime and Pom will be lost in WoD so that's gone :P

    Also viable in these context are such lousy arguments. Even if mages did less damage than 90% of all the other dps specs we are viable (raiding). Competitive is what matters, but you can argue that in certain scenario's having all or any spec be competitive isn't as important. Soloing for example, but there is also a limit on how far the diffrence should be between classes, I find that the diffrences there are now too big between classes however and have gone beyond the term viable. Here I use the term viable in how much diffrence in raidperformance is acceptable being described as viable.
    Last edited by taelon; 2014-04-13 at 06:29 PM.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
    Ups, i meant ilvl 550. 450 was a typo. Fixed that. What i want to say, if Frost is the strongest pve spec at lower gear levels, that means, that majority of casual players who are not able to finish mid/harder raids, are somehow forced to stay frost if they want to be competitive ... I really don't get that Blizzard obsession with Frost ... Not that I don't like Frost, but I just feel some lazy design for other 2 specs ...
    Why would they want to be competitive? They aren't doing any real content apparently.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    If I could reroll to same iLvl Lock from my Hunter, I'd do it. Hunter specs are the same rotation wise, no flavour.

    As a Lock you have 3 clear options: DoT spec, Whack-a-mole spec, Nuke spec focusing on massive hits with Chaos Bolt.
    For the expansion after WoD, I sincerely hope they revisit all classes/specs(especially the pure DPS classes) and remake them from scratch like Warlocks.
    Destruction is such a mindless spec to play. Bores the pants off of me.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    All this in-fighting is something I only find within the mage class. Spec vs spec doesn't happen with my Warrior, my druid or my paladin. I've never seen locks or hunters do it either.

    My advice? STFU and like your mage and not your spec.
    Imo, (and this is not ironic, but my humble theory), we fight much more than the other classes (more than ther other pure classes too), because, in order to bring arcane and fire more in line with frost, you have to basically nerf frost, and noone likes to be nerfed, so there the fight begins. Why frost has to be nerfed? Let's make a clear example.

    PvP Lock's specs and where they shine (MoP wise, more or less):
    Affliction Warlock: High sustained damage (dots), high pressure (multi dotting), dispel protection (ua).
    Destruction Warlock: High on demand burst (cds + chaos bolt), High built up burst (chain chaos bolts), high aoe burst (fire and brimstone /havoc)
    Demo Warlock: High tankiness (metamorphosis), High mobility (chain instant casting/demonic leap), High utility/debuffs (pets,auras)

    So basically you can buff/nerf their main strenghts to bring them more in line with the other specs. No "in-fightning" happens.

    Now Let's make a comparison between mage's specs and where they shine:
    Frost: High on demand burst (IV, FO, AT), High built up burst (FoF, BF, Icicles), high control (lots of cc spells), high mobility (IL, FOF, BF, even higher in WoD with double blink), high survivability (ccs + mobility = higher survivability) high utility (pet).
    Fire: nothing better than frost.
    Arcane: nothing better than frost.

    This time, imo, to bring arcane/fire more in line with frost, you have both buff arcane and fire and nerf the absurd arsenal frost has, in order to achieve (for example):
    frost: control, survivability, utility.
    fire: mobility, built up burst, aoe burst.
    arcane: sustained damage, on demand burst, aoe pressure.

    Tl;dr: to balance the mage's specs, (even if you buff arcane and fire), frost has to be nerfed and noone likes to be nerfed, so the fight between arcane/fire and frost mages will take place everytime. That's my theory.
    Last edited by Seneca; 2014-04-13 at 06:56 PM.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
    in order to bring arcane and fire more in line with frost, you have to basically nerf frost, and noone likes to be nerfed, so there the fight begins.

  8. #28
    There is far too much trolling going on in this thread, hence the lock.

    Thread Closed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •