Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why are people looking for such drastic changes in the updated models?

From what we have seen in the new models, Blizzard kept their word in that they still look and feel like the characters we have come to know throughout the world of warcraft. Why were so many people expecting drastic changes to how model's skin, hair, and even structure looked?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because these are the same people who pitched a fit about Worgen looking "too human" and now we have the abominations that we do now.

I for one love the new models, and they keep the Blizzard-WoW feel instead of copying other games.

Because people aren't very bright.

10+ Year Old Account
    After 10 years we wanted humanoids that looked more like humans, and less like street fighter characters from 1992.
    Last edited by -Superman-; 2014-04-13 at 06:35 PM. Reason: People were getting hung up on the sample photos and missing the damn point.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    After 10 years we wanted humanoids that looked more like:

And less like:

People are ready to start seeing technology work for them in an MMO. Maybe someday, we will get this:

sadly people that want that from wow are playing the wrong game, the "Cartoony" graphics are a stylistic choice for the franchise, and it's never going to go away, we're never going to get / have the elder scrolls "realism" for humans, blizzard WANTS the embellished features.

Nonsense.
    This doesn't even make sense. The new models perfectly represent the art style of Warcraft. Warcraft beings are slightly whimsical. They've always been that way and it would be absolutely retarded if it stopped now.

If you expected the artistic style to take a drastic 180 like that then you're frankly delusional.

He's not talking about a realistic vs. cartoony approach

He just wants the humans not to look mentally retarded with the update.

Because they don't understand that WoW has an art-style.

I love WoW's art-style, it's quite unique.

The only drastic change I would want for the new models is the orc male to have a non-hunched back so they can start looking more like the orcs from Warcraft 3. I'd prefer it to be an option though, I wouldn't want to take away the hunch from those who like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarlordsofDraenor View Post
    He's not talking about a realistic vs. cartoony approach

He just wants the humans not to look mentally retarded with the update.
    I don't even mind the old models. The new models still look good. My point was, most people play MMOs OTHER THAN WoW and see what CGI is capable of. When you look at the more realistic models, it would still be possible to make them look more real, but still have an animated feel to them. For example:

Cairne Bloodhoof is a Tauren. This is real game art. Now, would you rather see your Tauren look like that ^, or like this:

The new models are not bad, but there is so much more they could have done with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of the old models have big problems. For instance, the human male running animation and male night elf walk are both just completely atrocious. I don't think anyone who is really familiar with them would argue otherwise. The female blood elves have piranha teeth and use the same faces as female draenei. Have you seen male dwarves without beards on live? They look like demonic molemen. So, basically, what I'm saying is this: do you think people just want a revamped version of something that's fundamentally broken? Why just improve upon something that's extremely rigid and ugly? People are just hoping some broken things get amended and changed for the better, mostly.

Unless of course you're referring to people wanting orcs to lose their hunch, in which case I'd agree. That's just a dream.
    Look! Words!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkblade95 View Post
    Because they don't understand that WoW has an art-style.

I love WoW's art-style, it's quite unique.
    I agree, Wow's artstyle is unique, it perfectly suits the game and is never going to be changed. It's the underlying graphics that are being updated, essentially higher resolution textures, more refined animations and a higher poly count, whilst keeping the look and feel of the game. Essentially Blizzard are adding more polish to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkblade95 View Post
    The only drastic change I would want for the new models is the orc male to have a non-hunched back so they can start looking more like the orcs from Warcraft 3. I'd prefer it to be an option though, I wouldn't want to take away the hunch from those who like it.
    I really hope that doesn't happen, the Orcs in World of Warcraft have always had the hunch, it is part of what defines the look and feel of their character in game. If you want the Orcs without the hunch then you should be playing Warcraft III instead of World of Warcraft. Even as an option I would oppose any Orc in World of Warcraft losing the hunch just as much as I would oppose the Forsaken being able to hide their bones.

Short answer: disagreement with stylistic choises made with characters.

Specially when compared to artwork or previous incarnations.

Deleted
    I actually think the female Dwarf looks quite different now, but I'm all for it - so much so, that I will be making one my main come WoD.

All the other examples we've seen so far, seem to keep to the same style we've gotten used to over the years, with the exception of the male Tauren, which seems ridiculously cuddly-ified imo - looks far to clean, in both a literal and metaphorical sense. Only one I am disappointed with so far.

I've found that the updated female models have impressed me more, for the most part - for example, I think the female Orc update is fantastic, I'm really impressed with it (which is great cos my original main/first character is one).

Can't wait to see the remaining ones, with both genders of Trolls intriguing me a lot.

However, I'm most interested in seeing the female Tauren update - I've always considered them to have the worst player models in the game: an update is long overdue. I've never played one as I consider them so bad, but I would strongly consider playing one if the updated model reaches my expectations.
    Last edited by mmoc12ebfdbb38; 2014-04-13 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Conscripts View Post
    From what we have seen in the new models, Blizzard kept their word in that they still look and feel like the characters we have come to know throughout the world of warcraft. Why were so many people expecting drastic changes to how model's skin, hair, and even structure looked?
    Because some models look just wrong I don't see what's the big deal with fixing things that need being fixed as long as they keep the spirit of the race, take for instance male night elves, their siloutte looks like a freaking cobra and when they walk it looks like someone put a stick on their ass, or the male human dog face.

PD: I was forgetting the male draenei they are the most fugly model in wow, hope they make them look more like Velen
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromedes View Post
    Welcome to the Alliance, faction of compromises and unfulfilled desires. Want Vrykul? Here is compromise in form of kul tiran half giants we never heard of. Wanna High elves? Here is compromise in form of void elves we never heard of. Wanna broken draenei? awww fuck it
    About ganking ("world pvp") being dead now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Maybe you could wear a mask and push over little kids while they walk home from school instead?

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    Some of the old models have big problems. For instance, the human male running animation and male night elf walk are both just completely atrocious. I don't think anyone who is really familiar with them would argue otherwise. The female blood elves have piranha teeth and use the same faces as female draenei. Have you seen male dwarves without beards on live? They look like demonic molemen. So, basically, what I'm saying is this: do you think people just want a revamped version of something that's fundamentally broken? Why just improve upon something that's extremely rigid and ugly? People are just hoping some broken things get amended and changed for the better, mostly.

Unless of course you're referring to people wanting orcs to lose their hunch, in which case I'd agree. That's just a dream.
    I made this thread in relation to the orc hunch thread. However, your point about the animations, those have been in the game a decade with no changes and they have been immortalized into what the character is.

Quote Originally Posted by Conscripts View Post
    And I completely disagree and giggled a bit. Only the female Draenei and male Dwarf have been "the same models but much higher resolution." All the others have had noticible changes to them and that's mostly because of how "blurry" they were to begin with so upping the polycount meant that you had to add features that gave a personality to it that was lacking before. (Nose-bridges, lip shapes, eyebrow density, jawline, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by rpdrichard View Post
    PD: I was forgetting the male draenei they are the most fugly model in wow, hope they make them look more like Velen
    I absolutely adore the male Draenei model. Particularly the facial details and chest proportions.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

I really don't mind the changes they made and not wanting to change it too much, hell I actually love the new models. It's just that I want more, more customization, rather than having only 12 character faces/hair/features to choose from why not 20? And I know how much people dislike the "one face syndrome", but yeah adding some new things shouldn't hurt I mean it is a visual update after all and a huge part of the upcoming expansion.

I love most of the new models, the Tauren looks awesome.. Though at the same time the male looks more like a cuddly teddy-bear tauren from a Disney movie than a powerful warrior race some of the artworks show. But cuddly disney Tauren is better than what we have currently by miles.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    And I completely disagree and giggled a bit. Only the female Draenei and male Dwarf have been "the same models but much higher resolution." All the others have had noticible changes to them and that's mostly because of how "blurry" they were to begin with so upping the polycount meant that you had to add features that gave a personality to it that was lacking before. (Nose-bridges, lip shapes, eyebrow density, jawline, etc.)

I absolutely adore the male Draenei model. Particularly the facial details and chest proportions.
    You'd be one the few that does I don't really like looking like a fridge and marker drawed mustaches, and seems a lot of people doesn`t since they are one of the least represented races
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromedes View Post
    Welcome to the Alliance, faction of compromises and unfulfilled desires. Want Vrykul? Here is compromise in form of kul tiran half giants we never heard of. Wanna High elves? Here is compromise in form of void elves we never heard of. Wanna broken draenei? awww fuck it
    About ganking ("world pvp") being dead now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Maybe you could wear a mask and push over little kids while they walk home from school instead?

10+ Year Old Account
    After 10 years we wanted humanoids that looked more like:

http://www.swtorsecretsguide.com/wp-...di-knight1.png

And less like:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...108_173354.jpg

People are ready to start seeing technology work for them in an MMO. Maybe someday, we will get this:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...rayEdwards.jpg
    Ya this is will never happen, if you expect this or want it to happen from new character models than you better off playing other game that actually has thoses graphics. Realism doesn't age well. Also most games with Realism have performance problems.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.