Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Question] Are there any new and exciting MMOs on the horizon?

Are there any? I mean, I suppose the Titan project is one, but we barely know anything about it, it's been scrapped and restarted, and it's apparently not aiming to target the same demographic as WoW players. So, I don't have my hopes up for that.

Are there any other games? I feel like SW:TOR was the last game that had any real potential to be enjoyable/really popular, but it's pretty much dead now (due to a myriad of reasons related to game design.)

Are there any other projects on the horizon? I love MMOs, but I feel like I'm done with WoW. I just want a good replacement already! So, anything on the coast?

Deleted
    ESO is out and has mixed reviews, better to do your own research before buying. Wildstar is out in June, it is an action RPG made by former WoW devs, you may be able to get a beta key for next weekend if you keep an eye out on Curse.

The MMO craze is finally starting to wind down. Seems it took 10 years for devs to figure it out.

Wildstar; expands upon WoW's telegraph system and Tera's action combat and merge them into one. I believe if you preorder right now that you can play it, not sure.

Star Citizen's online multiplayer will be good. You can buy the game for thirty bucks. Its out for Christmas.

Some new Camelot game made by the guys whodid DAoC. They have a kickstarter somewhere.

Shroud of the Avatar Chapter 1 will be out this year, has an optional online multiplayer componnent if you want an MMO style.

And...thats about it.

Give wildstar a chance.

and thank me later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually SW:ToR is doing fairly well at the moment and the QoL changes have been fairly decent. There's still a lot locked behind the Free To Play model but the $5 Preferred Status does help with those restrictions quite a bit. There's always FFXIV: A Realm Reborn as well. You can find it for about 15 bucks with a month free so even if it isnt your cup of tea at the end of the month you're only out $15.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    The MMO craze is finally starting to wind down. Seems it took 10 years for devs to figure it out.

Wildstar; expands upon WoW's telegraph system and Tera's action combat and merge them into one. I believe if you preorder right now that you can play it, not sure.

Star Citizen's online multiplayer will be good. You can buy the game for thirty bucks. Its out for Christmas.

Some new Camelot game made by the guys whodid DAoC. They have a kickstarter somewhere.

Shroud of the Avatar Chapter 1 will be out this year, has an optional online multiplayer componnent if you want an MMO style.

And...thats about it.
    MMORPGs are actually stronger now than ever. you just don't realize that the number of people who play an MMORPG are in the tens of millions nowadays vs ten million back in bc

there are more mmorpg options now than ever, more quality options, and there are more coming. people keep pretending that since wow is dying down that other MMORPGs are too and its' not true. it's a coping mechanism

10+ Year Old Account
    Wildstar; expands upon WoW's telegraph system and Tera's action combat and merge them into one.
    No. It isn't.

ESO just came out.
    Wildstar is sometime no idea.
    EQ Landmark is in beta.
    EQ Next is no idea.

I want EQN and Black Desert.

mmo-c might as well cover front page wildstar news now =3

or at least have a sister site cause its gonna be the new hotness.

Wildstar, you should try it.

I tried ESO and Wildstar and neither were for me, they both felt sloppy and unfinished. Granted Wildstar is at least still a few months away from launch, but I can't see it make the progress it needs to make me want to play it. As far as new and exciting MMOs, I would have to say no. They all seem to be very similar with very little to make them unique. I can't wait until an MMO comes out that I feel like I need to really play.

Everquest Next is the MMO that sounds the most interesting in my opinion. Wildstar is coming soon, but I believe it will have a sub fee, which is a no-go for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barcasaur View Post
    Give wildstar a chance.

and thank me later.
    I've heard mixed things about Wildstar. I suppose I'll look into it.

- - - Updated - - -

And...thats about it.
    I doubt that the MMO craze is really gone permanently. WoW was FAR too successful for game developers to just ignore MMOs. If a game developer gets it right on MMOs, they've basically struck a proverbial gold mine. I just think that there aren't many announced right now.

Ideally, I'd like a sci-fi MMO that was kind of WoW-style, but was done very well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    ESO is out and has mixed reviews, better to do your own research before buying. Wildstar is out in June, it is an action RPG made by former WoW devs, you may be able to get a beta key for next weekend if you keep an eye out on Curse.
    Thanks! If Wildstar is out in June, I'm definitely going to look into it. It seems interesting thus far. This was helpful.

Nope. Well, WoD, but that's an expansion.

Will give Everquest Next a try, but that's so far away.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Deleted
    Just from my point of view

When I got out of the "I need to just play the most popular MMO" mindset I found that things got a lot better. Games like Rift and SWTOR are far from dead, in fact they both have expansions in the near future.

I've tried Wildstar and wasn't impressed at all, there won't be any new MMO that comes out that instantly eclipses wow in sub numbers. You also have to take into account that based on recent history sub based MMO's just don't seem to work anymore and any that release with that framework will go through that horrible "dead" period where most people abandon it and they awkwardly adjust it to a F2P model.

It depends what you mean by "on the horizon."

• I personally am most excited for Everquest Next, but we probably won't see the alpha for that until at least mid 2015. Landmark (its "sister game," the building tools for EQN) is out in beta right now, but if you don't enjoy building stuff, there's not a whole lot to do yet.
    • You might like ESO if you're looking for something different from WoW. I personally don't like the direction the devs took with it, and reviews have been very mixed, but some people really like it so far. PvE endgame is a huge question mark in this game still, but PvP is decent.
    • I can't really recommend Wildstar, especially if you're bored with WoW. It's basically a straight WoW clone with action-y combat. If you're looking for something that is a little different, but not too different, you may like it. This will have 40 man raiding, if that's your thing.
    • Guild Wars 2 might be worth a look, if you never tried it. A lot of people hate this game because of the hype and all the promises it made, but it has no sub fee, and I thought the leveling experience was pretty fun on my first character. There is no traditional "end game" here, though.
    Last edited by Bigtimmy; 2014-04-13 at 10:53 PM.

“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, I just finished checking out Wildstar.

It looks AMAZING.

Now I'm hyped up for June.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimmy View Post
    It depends what you mean by "on the horizon."

• I personally am most excited for Everquest Next, but we probably won't see the alpha for that until at least mid 2015. Landmark (it's "sister game," the building tools for EQN) is out in beta right now, but if you don't enjoy building stuff, there's not a whole lot to do yet.
    • You might like ESO if you're looking for something different from WoW. I personally don't like the direction the devs took with it, and reviews have been very mixed, but some people really like it so far. PvE endgame is a huge question mark in this game still, but PvP is decent.
    • I can't really recommend Wildstar, especially if you're bored with WoW. It's basically a straight WoW clone with action-y combat. If you're looking for something that is a little different, but not too different, you may like it. This will have 40 man raiding, if that's your thing.
    • Guild Wars 2 might be worth a look, if you never tried it. A lot of people hate this game because of the hype and all the promises it made, but it has no sub fee, and I thought the leveling experience was pretty fun on my first character. There is no traditional "end game" here, though.
    GW2 didn't seem like my cup of tea. ESO seems to not be that fun either, according to many people I've asked. I think I'm going to go with Wildstar. It's not that I'm bored with WoW's game-style, it's that I'm bored with WoW period. I'm bored of Azeroth, I want something new, but not necessarily new in terms of gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post

It looks AMAZING.

- - - Updated - - -

GW2 didn't seem like my cup of tea. ESO seems to not be that fun either, according to many people I've asked. I think I'm going to go with Wildstar. It's not that I'm bored with WoW's game-style, it's that I'm bored with WoW period. I'm bored of Azeroth, I want something new, but not necessarily new in terms of gameplay.
    If you want a WoW clone, play SWTOR, Rift or WildStar.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is FFXIV v2.0 ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post

It looks AMAZING.

- - - Updated - - -

"It looks AMAZING." is a bit of a stretch. Graphically it doesn't seem much better than WoW to be honest.

AngryJoe's first impressions killed a lot of the buzz for me.

GW2 and FFXIV spoiled me rotten graphically.

Both Wildstar and ESO have gotten mixed reviews and both end up falling into that category of "love it or hate it." Would recommend trying either one depending on what you're more personally interested in.

If you really like the gameplay of WoW though but want a breather, would recommend Wildstar. It's similar with some twists and a good way to sort of "ween" off of WoW.

FFXIV, despite being out for a bit now, is a pretty damn good game too after its relaunch.

There is "The Repopulation" a new sci-fi mmorpg that is coming out later this year or next. Supposed to be pvp sandbox/

Comparable to Star Wars Galaxies and UO I think, cant remember what they compared themselves to.