BM monk Heroic Klaxxi Rikal

Hi so it is my job to be our 3rd tank and tank rikal so i am wondering if anyone else has done this job and has a way to track how many parasites are up

I can't possibly imagine what you'd need a third tank for, but DBM has an option that you can turn on that announces number of parasites every time a group is summoned or some are eaten so you can keep track. Also both Elusive Brew and Guard block Injection.

Unless you get really really bad rng you should never fail an injection. Talent Chi Brew and between Chi Brew and Gaurd that should make up for almost every bad rng situation where you don't have up elusive brew already. Monk's aren't the best tank at this, as it still comes down to rng but pretty reliable if you don't have a better option in the raid.

Also not sure what the point of a 3rd tank is.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2014-04-12 at 10:14 AM.

We used 3 tanks on our normal kills, because it made it easier. When we went to heroics though, we just went with a 2 tank strat because dps was much more important.

On Heroic, there are only 2 injections you want to go off. The very first one, and then one that gets cast about 10-15 seconds before the 3rd mutation. If you delay that second one, you can have people dying from the mutation timer wearing out. As Tech614 said, monks aren't the best at Rikkal because the cooldowns needed to use to prevent injection can potentially be rather RNG (I'd argue that paladin is worse, as their timing window is considerably smaller than the other tanks), it is 100% possible to do it as a monk.

Can't see why you would want a 3rd tank. I usually let the 1st Injection through, and since i'm using a 2hander that generates EB stacks by multiples of 3 usually, i'm counting on having 12 stacks of EB before the next injection. If popped right when he starts the cast, 12 stacks should suffice for every 2 injections. If RNG is not on your side and you didn't get enough stacks, just pop guard instead before an injection.

If you're having trouble with stacks, even tho it's far from optimal - you can always glyph your guard and just soak pretty much all injections only with your guard since it will not drop off to damage but will only run out when duration ends. Again, really far from optimal cause you will get melee spanked rather hard later on and will need the physical guard.

Quote Originally Posted by promdate View Post
    We used 3 tanks on our normal kills, because it made it easier. When we went to heroics though, we just went with a 2 tank strat because dps was much more important.

On Heroic, there are only 2 injections you want to go off. The very first one, and then one that gets cast about 10-15 seconds before the 3rd mutation. If you delay that second one, you can have people dying from the mutation timer wearing out. As Tech614 said, monks aren't the best at Rikkal because the cooldowns needed to use to prevent injection can potentially be rather RNG (I'd argue that paladin is worse, as their timing window is considerably smaller than the other tanks), it is 100% possible to do it as a monk.
    Hmm is this 25 man strat? Cuz in 10 man we just let very first one go and everyone turned to scorpion eat 1 parasite, and Rik'kal will be dead by the time last parasite was eaten. If dps is good we might ended up with one extra parasite, or just let last person eat 2 of them. But yea monk could be unlucky, there were a couple of times I think that I just didn't have EB and there is nothing I could do about it. But rarely happen tho as long as you have 60%+ crits chance. Among the 4 tanks I played (I don't have a warrior) I would say bear is the easiest and most reliable for Rik'kal. It's certainly doable for every class but just as a rage user you worry less about your resource (like dk or pally) and 6 sec SD is a super large time window. You just chill our way more than other tanks /shrug.

And yea no reason for 3 tank afaik.
    Last edited by jasonleekungfu; 2014-04-14 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonleekungfu View Post
    Hmm is this 25 man strat?
    Yes, 10 can kill him before the time required to take another injection. It's partially why paragons is somewhat "easier" on 10s than 25s.

Quote Originally Posted by promdate View Post
    Yes, 10 can kill him before the time required to take another injection. It's partially why paragons is somewhat "easier" on 10s than 25s.
    I can't say for sure but I think I did hear some ppl who have done 25m before mentioned some complicated strat, which we didn't really see the need on 10m when we got there.
    Last edited by jasonleekungfu; 2014-04-14 at 07:17 PM.