Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Harvard Researcher On Aging: There's No 'Limit On The Human Lifespan'

http://news.yahoo.com/katie-couric-a...035336385.html

Pretty interesting stuff explained by the scientist (Sinclair) on the prospect of us having an extended lifespan.

Thoughts?

Deleted
    Inb4 people start raging about humans not being able to live forever and it would suck and yadda yadda.

Would be a cool thing for us to live forever but when you think about resources and such us only having one planet for us to harvest from is a very deadly thing since it would turn everyone into a warmonger and have groups of next gen hippies that go around killing anyone beyond x age.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Quote Originally Posted by Naftc View Post
    Would be a cool thing for us to live forever but when you think about resources and such us only having one planet for us to harvest from is a very deadly thing since it would turn everyone into a warmonger and have groups of next gen hippies that go around killing anyone beyond x age.
    The thing with this is, with effectively infinite lifespans, we'd be able to sustain projects for longer. There's plenty of historical evidence of projects that could have revolutionized the world that were abandoned when their initial author died. Imagine if they hadn't? There's no reason to expect us to be permanently locked to the Earth, assuming we survive long enough.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yahoo? You gotta give me a better source than that.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Yahoo? You gotta give me a better source than that.
    Does the Harvard site itself work?

Obviously those Harvard researchers aren't familiar with astrophysics and the ultimate fate of our universe and everything in it, including us. Life wont even be possible in 100 trillion years.

Unless we can find a way to ascend like they did in the Stargate franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post
    Obviously those Harvard researchers aren't familiar with astrophysics and the ultimate fate of our universe and everything in it, including us.

We're a long way away from the heat death of the universe.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Only reason I'd want to live forever is if everyone else can too. Another thing is I wouldn't mind is if I could look and feel like a 20-25 year old but be 150+.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We have had multiple threads of white people complaining that black people were offended over some racist thing some white person said.
    Here we have a thread of white people offended over something some racist black person said.
    The key difference is that the white people in this thread aren't being told "shut up stop being offended get over it."

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    We're a long way away from the heat death of the universe.
    Ya but for a species that doesn't have a limited lifespan, their perception of time changes.

Also its not really the death of the universe, there will still be energy and black holes, its just things wont look like what we see now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Thats better , I stopped reading yahoo news after one of the 'reporters' was horribly stupid in science.

Ana Gomes, a postdoctoral scientist in the Sinclair lab, had been studying mice in which this SIRT1 gene had been removed. While they accurately predicted that these mice would show signs of aging, including mitochondrial dysfunction, the researchers were surprised to find that most mitochondrial proteins coming from the cell’s nucleus were at normal levels; only those encoded by the mitochondrial genome were reduced.
    So while the mice still show signs of aging, they will still be healthier?

Edit: this is my 9,999th post, I have reached the Final Fantasy damage cap!
    Last edited by apepi; 2014-08-22 at 05:22 AM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post
    Obviously those Harvard researchers aren't familiar with astrophysics and the ultimate fate of our universe and everything in it, including us. Life wont even be possible in 100 trillion years.

100% agree, and boy did I love me some Stargate SG-1. That show and Fringe have some top notch story telling! Back to the topic at hand, everything in the known universe is chaotic and destructive. Stars are born, stars die, things get recycled. The only thing to even appear limitless is space itself. At the end of it all(if we had no limit on lifespan), it would be us competing with space itself on who's going to disappear first.

It just all seems science fiction to me in that research. We are all going to die, just like all the stars die and black holes, and yes one day it is almost certain the big crunch will occur. The end of all ends for this universe session.
    Last edited by Cheerbleeder; 2014-08-22 at 05:26 AM.

I can just picture it.

"We've developed a cure for aging! You can live forever."
    "oh..how much does it cost?"
    "100 billion dollars."
    "Oh well I don't ha..."
    "You can work it off for us."

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a more important limit on genetic engineering though.

It can only effects the inner-workings of the body.

The inner-workings of the mind is dangerous waters. Once that is cracked the notion of sentience and free will is destroyed.

Once the mind is cracked, the body no longer necessary.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    There's a more important limit on genetic engineering though.

It can only effects the inner-workings of the body.

The inner-workings of the mind is dangerous waters. Once that is cracked the notion of sentience and free will is destroyed.

Once the mind is cracked, the body no longer necessary.
    If you want to get all philosophical on us, I can share with you why I believe free will does not exist.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TZK203 View Post
    If you want to get all philosophical on us, I can share with you why I believe free will does not exist.
    I'm using my free will to disagree with your statement that free will does not exist. Or was that mandated?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    I'm using my free will to disagree with your statement that free will does not exist. Or was that mandated?
    Well, the sole purpose of his post was to drag someone's attention onto disagreeing with him, and therefore, that makes your "free will of disagree" actually not ?

I intend to submerge myself in a mixture of white wine vinegar, cloves, peppercorns and kosher salt. If pickled eggs can survive forever, pickled humans can do the same!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    First we need cure for cancer. What's the point to prolong life span if huge percentage of people is not reaching old age cause of sickness number 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Agraynel View Post
    First we need cure for cancer. What's the point to prolong life span if huge percentage of people is not reaching old age cause of sickness number 1?
    Isn't heart disease #1?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.