Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe that this verdict did in fact have a high amount of educational value for the guy.
    If nothing else, he likely experienced the same or at least a similar feeling a bullied victim has to go through.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    That doesn't do anything to guarantee it clicks and he realizes why what he did is wrong, not to mention you're just doing the same thing he got in trouble for to him. It's not the worst punishment, but it is far from the best punishment.
    I see that point..
    But I believe that's exactly what the judge intended with the verdict.
    Plus, if the guy, who is a grown up adult in his 40s or 50s. dunno, doesn't learn from that lesson, and repeats his crime, the next punishment might be a lot more serious.
    Color me naive. But I have a certain belief in people taking the hint rather sooner than later

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    That doesn't do anything to guarantee it clicks and he realizes why what he did is wrong, not to mention you're just doing the same thing he got in trouble for to him. It's not the worst punishment, but it is far from the best punishment.
    there's no lesson learned from this, it's only purpose was to humiliate which is sad, since that's not what the courts are for. This however could lead to a psychopath later on.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I miss the 80's when you can whoop a kid to prevent them from being bullies and to show respect.

Isn't this unusual/humilation kind of thing against the law?

And while I don't agree with what he said, I can't believe that such a thing can be a crime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I think public embarrassment was a great punishment (the stocks), won't be long before people here start defending the bully though.
    I agree as well as long as he actually broke the law. verbally bullying someone is freedom of speech and should not be prosecuted under the 1st Amendment. If he physically abused them, then he got what he deserved

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctim View Post
    As a german, I can't approve this!
    As an Austrian, I still think that it's an appropriate and a good form of punishment for people like him.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    Agreed, public humiliation actually makes people think about their action. This is why I am also an advocate of community service.
    Humilation is often shown to enhance suspicion and vengefulness though, I don't think it's a great punishment for this kind of crime.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Danifilth View Post
    I miss the 80's when you can whoop a kid to prevent them from being bullies and to show respect.
    That never happened. In fact that just teaches a child they can control other people with violence, which leads to bullying or worse.

More kids might be spoiled and whiny these days, but less of them are violent. Strong-armed parenting does not work.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Beats locking them in a small room for several years like they do in the USA.
    This is in the United States you buffoon.....Cleveland. I'm assuming your an ignorant European from your blind and unfounded disdain for Americans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I agree as well as long as he actually broke the law. verbally bullying someone is freedom of speech and should not be prosecuted under the 1st Amendment. If he physically abused them, then he got what he deserved
    he did physically abuse them...
    From the link in the article posted:

Court records say Aviv later made a device that linked kerosene to a fan in his garage. The fan blew the fumes onto Prugh's property, reports say. One of Prugh’s children became ill because of the fumes, Williams-Byers previously said.

Prugh called police on April 9 and April 11, 2013, reports say. Firefighters and police discovered the kerosene contraption and made Aviv dismantle it, reports say
    One could call that chemical warfare.... That guy is imo bat shit crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal89 View Post
    Heard this on the morning radio today, being that I'm from Cleveland I found this extremely funny and a great punishment for bullying.

The guy was forced to stand by a sign on a street intersection saying the he's a bully who makes fun of disabled children and his diverse community.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...sign-in-public
    Cool, so bullying is wrong and the proper reaction we should have to it is to bully the bully into humiliating himself. Seems legit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Isn't this unusual/humilation kind of thing against the law?
    In many countries such form of punishment would be unlawful.
    Public humiliation would violate privacy laws from the get go.
    It's not the case in the US though..
    A valid example for a random crime, as reported in a newspaper..
    Let's say Joe Doe committed a burglary.
    US Newspaper reads: J.Doe broke into a house at <street name>...
    German Newspaper reads: J. D. broke into a house at <street name>...
    The German newspaper is not allowed to print out the full name. They likely won't get it anyway, since the police would not release that type of information.
    Protection of privacy to prevent acts of retaliation, shaming and slander.
    Doesn't always work 100%, especially when celebrities/public figures are the ones committing the crime, but for the average person it works perfect.

The 62 year old neighborhood bully is probably so lonely and filled up with anger and hate that I doubt this does anything other than make him hate more.

If you actually read the article he build a device that blows kerosene fumes at his neighbors house because their laundry chute smells like downy.

My guess is for the people that have lived in his neighborhood for years, this is like watching King Jofferey choke to death.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmoe View Post
    I won't lie, I was a bit taken back to see the article is a grown man. We, or at least I, tend to forget that the term Bully isn't just for cruel children.
    I hadn't really thought about that until now. Now that I do. the connotation of "Bully" (to me anyway) implies a child. Someone who is not aware of their actions and consequences. They have an narcissism complex that isn't fully developed. To me, Bully is related to Child.

A grown person who does things a bully does, is called an Asshole. Assholes are entirely aware of what they're doing, and what the consequences are, and just don't care. Eventually they may well end up falling into the Criminal category. I personally don't feel grown people can be bullies, especially because they can actually be prosecuted for most of that stuff.

In school if you rough up a kid, you get suspended or have detention. A veritable slap on the wrist. If a grown man roughs up someone on the street, you go to jail.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    he did physically abuse them...
    From the link in the article posted:

One could call that chemical warfare.... That guy is imo bat shit crazy.
    Yeah, in that case he got off easy. He shouldve been put in a dunk tank full of rotten vegetables with the sign next to it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    In many countries such form of punishment would be unlawful.
    Public humiliation would violate privacy laws from the get go.
    It's not the case in the US though..
    A valid example for a random crime, as reported in a newspaper..
    Let's say Joe Doe committed a burglary.
    US Newspaper reads: J.Doe broke into a house at <street name>...
    German Newspaper reads: J. D. broke into a house at <street name>...
    The German newspaper is not allowed to print out the full name. They likely won't get it anyway, since the police would not release that type of information.
    Protection of privacy to prevent acts of retaliation, shaming and slander.
    Doesn't always work 100%, especially when celebrities/public figures are the ones committing the crime, but for the average person it works perfect.
    Thats bullshit if they do that after conviction. People should have a right to know who the criminals in their neighborhood are so they can look out for them and avoid them.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    That never happened. In fact that just teaches a child they can control other people with violence, which leads to bullying or worse.

More kids might be spoiled and whiny these days, but less of them are violent. Strong-armed parenting does not work.
    It got me out of gangs and taught me to treat others with respect and help those in need. My dad whooped me 50 times with a 2 inch thick belt and never again i caused trouble in my life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctim View Post
    Well, this reminds me in a very bad way of:

As a german, I can't approve this!
    are we as germans not allowed to dislike jews? don´t be ridiculous

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I honestly do not know how to feel about authorities using bullying to punish for bullying. On one hand, he fucking deserved that. On the other, that's uncomfortably ironic.
    Yep, pretty much this, responding to bullying by bullying the bully is just...

It makes about as much sense as beating someone up for beating someone up, ie none at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    Yep, pretty much this, responding to bullying by bullying the bully is just...

It makes about as much sense as beating someone up for beating someone up, ie none at all.
    We detain people against their will for detaining others against their will.

Sometimes the punishment tallies with the crime.