Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    Overall, the game is good but the combat can get so unbearably boring and it's super linear.
    I went back to playing it one day and I almost fell asleep playing it. The combat is just so boring to me now, it's like just watching your characters auto attack and then pressing like two buttons for your abilities, there's no interaction with the combat.
    What? Do you play on Casual or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I wouldn't say so. There were 2 races of elves: Ljosalfar ("light elves") and Dokkalfar ("dark elves"). To me (considering only females, of course), Ljosalfar looked like innocent girls, always friendly smiling, while Dokkalfar looked more like some special force agents. Hookers... I would say human females were kind of like hookers in KoA.
    I think it was the dark elf that was one of the main characters that poster had in mind, she did wear quite revealing armour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    I think it was the dark elf that was one of the main characters that poster had in mind, she did wear quite revealing armour.
    Ah, Alyn Shir... Well, that is true, her gear was quite spectacular. But I remembered here more like my mirrored image. I just happened to customize appearance of my female Dokkalfar in such a way that she looked almost exactly as Alyn Shir.

Deleted
    Terranigma on the SNES.

Brutal game, ran up a £100 phone bill to Nintendo helpline for that baby haha, only about 7 yrs old.

Dragon Age Origins is a good RPG with good characters and voice acting but I would never say it's the best of all time. I went back to playing it one day and I almost fell asleep playing it. The combat is just so boring to me now, it's like just watching your characters auto attack and then pressing like two buttons for your abilities, there's no interaction with the combat. Dragon Age 2 made it better where you could actually control more of the combat
    Like, WHAT? DA:O combat is infinitely better than DA2's. This isn't even an opinion. There's no such thing as controlling the combat in DA2. Playing as warrior on Hard, the only thing I did, other than mashing Hawke's buttons when they came off CD, was popping Anders' Heal and Barrier. The rest just played itself. In DA:O on Hard I had to utilize every character's skills in order to beat any harder fight. Programming the characters on Tactics screen helped a lot, but still my space button got abused harder than when I played any given action game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Like, WHAT? DA:O combat is infinitely better than DA2's. This isn't even an opinion. There's no such thing as controlling the combat in DA2. Playing as warrior on Hard, the only thing I did, other than mashing Hawke's buttons when they came off CD, was popping Anders' Heal and Barrier. The rest just played itself. In DA:O on Hard I had to utilize every character's skills in order to beat any harder fight. Programming the characters on Tactics screen helped a lot, but still my space button got abused harder than when I played any given action game.
    Hmm, I have to disagree here. On Nightmare, at least, Dragon Age 2 was way more challenging to me than Origins. If you don't use any item packs or other cheats like that, the 1st act in DA2 on Nightmare is just brutal, you have to control your party all the time and hit pause like every 2 seconds to even not die right away in some cases.

That said, DAO on Nightmare also requires a lot of skill to win consistently. I really don't understand how Geminiwolf managed to only autoattack and use 2 abilities with his/her main character, unless he/she played on Casual or Normal, or maybe with those cheating item packs where you get items at start that are better than what you would normally have by the end.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I loved it. It made my top 5. But I would not say it made "The" best of all time. But damn near. Then again this is all a matter of a player's preference. For example, I liked the first Witcher, but did not care for the second one. Sure, better graphics and more nudity. But it still sucked imo. Mass Effect 1 and 2 I rank up there also in the top 5. Have not played the third one. I heard they messed up the ending bad and how the game's ending is very important for myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Have not played the third one. I heard they messed up the ending bad and how the game's ending is very important for myself.
    Don't listen to other people. Play the game, it is amazing. The ending has been improved with Extended Cut and Leviathan DLC, it is still a bit messy, but far not as bad as raging people make it to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    No, it is an opinion. If you think the combat in DA: O was better, that's fine, that's your opinion but not everybody likes it over DA 2. Maybe no interaction was a poor choice of words. I meant mainly the auto attacks. In DA 2 you could at least mash A to do your basic attacks and you feel more involved with the combat, you're more in control instead of just auto attacking and constantly switching characters (at least that's how I felt). In DA: O your guy is just standing there auto attacking and you would press just a couple buttons for your abilities. I know about the whole switching party members and stuff but when it comes to the combat in RPGs I like to just focus on my guy and support my other party members like healing or buffing when needed instead of pausing the game every 10 seconds to use a potion or spell or constantly switching to another character, it's just not my thing. Also in a RPG like DA or Mass Effect where you can create your own character why would I want to even control anybody else but my character? That's just how I look at it and why I never really control any of my other party members unless I really needed them like if I die or when I need to use a potion when mine's on cooldown or something.

Now DA 3 is something more my style. That game looks really good.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2014-04-19 at 01:59 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe no interaction was a poor choice of words. I meant mainly the auto attacks. In DA 2 you could at least mash A to do your basic attacks and you feel more involved with the combat, you're more in control instead of just auto attacking and constantly switching characters (at least that's how I felt). In DA: O your guy is just standing there auto attacking and you would press just a couple buttons for your abilities.
    Sorry, I don't follow you. How is auto attacking different in DAO from DA2? If you don't issue any orders, your characters will do what you set them to do through tactics. If you haven't issued any tactics at all, they will just auto-attack and you will have to use every ability manually. If you set your tactics right, you can focus on things that really require your attention, everything else your characters will do automatically. For example, I always set my party members to automatically use single target damaging spells and buffs, so that I need mainly to do manual healing and AOE spells and also position my characters. Of course it all depends on the battle; in some battles I will focus more on one set of things, in others in another.

Really, DAO and DA2 are similar in this regard. I don't see how you are more involved in DA2 combat.

I know about the whole switching party members and stuff but when it comes to the combat in RPGs I like to just focus on my guy and support my other party members like healing or buffing when needed instead of pausing the game every 10 seconds to use a potion or spell or constantly switching to another character, it's just not my thing. Also in a RPG like DA or Mass Effect where you can create your own character why would I want to even control anybody else but my character? That's just how I look at it and why I never really control any of my other party members unless I really needed them like if I die or when I need to use a potion when mine's on cooldown or something.
    Once again, you don't have to control anyone else. You can just set their tactics, and they will act like companions in Mass Effect. But their effectiveness will not be optimal, of course, and, just as companions in Mass Effect, sometimes they will mess everything up. So you need to control them from time to time, if you play on Hard and above.

Hell, if you want so much to focus only on your characters, you can, you know, play solo - people do that and succeed. But, the way I see it, if party-based combat is not for you, then you shouldn't play games like Dragon Age, right? So, instead of saying that combat is "unbearably boring and super linear", maybe you should say that it is "unbearably boring and super linear if you don't play it right"?
    Last edited by May90; 2014-04-19 at 02:48 PM.

How is any game better then skyrim?

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Deleted
    No...I won't even bother to start a discussion with people who claim their opinion equals facts.

My top is probably Golden Sun and Mass Effect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    There are many games that are better than skyrim. Even within TES franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    Considering that Skyrim has the depth of a shallow puddle spread over wide flat seaground, quite many.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Where would you rank DA:O?
    It's one of the worst I have ever played. I got the game having heard it was good and after 40 ish minutes I took the game out and have never touched it again because it was so bad.

I loved sitting in the camp and just chat with my allies, it just felt so calming and immersive for some reason.
    The combat was "meh" but the conversastions made the game for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    It's one of the worst I have ever played. I got the game having heard it was good and after 40 ish minutes I took the game out and have never touched it again because it was so bad.
    40 minutes is pretty much still on-rails starting experience though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glowzone View Post
    I loved sitting in the camp and just chat with my allies, it just felt so calming and immersive for some reason.
    The combat was "meh" but the conversastions made the game for me.
    A good story doesn't make a game great, good gameplay doesn't either. If you want to call something "the best" it needs both. There is plenty of games that are good on 1 area but suck on the other...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    40 minutes is pretty much still on-rails starting experience though.
    In a singleplayer game one shouldn't have to wait 45-60mins for stuff to get interesting though, in an MMORPG I could understand having a long intro.

10+ Year Old Account
    I LOVED DA:O, but i think I've played it SO many times Im a bit bored of it now lol. I will certainly have to make sure I get a complete playthrough sorted soon, so I can get DA2 done and dusted ready for Inquisition.

Oh my anus. I cannot wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    A good story doesn't make a game great, good gameplay doesn't either. If you want to call something "the best" it needs both. There is plenty of games that are good on 1 area but suck on the other...
    I didn't call it the best, I just claimed I liked the conversations and found the combat rather meh.