Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    DAO started off good. The namesake 'origins' are fairly well done... but the story is fairly linear, nothing particularly mindblowing, and I found the gameplay a detriment to the experience as well after a while.

I remember very little of the storyline of DAO, but there are other CRPG's I played long before that I remember those 'memorable moments' at the very least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    DAO started off good. The namesake 'origins' are fairly well done... but the story is fairly linear, nothing particularly mindblowing, and I found the gameplay a detriment to the experience as well after a while.
    Bioware games are often like that. Main stories in their most praised titles - Mass Effect, Neverwinter Nights, KotoR, Dragon Age - are usually quite generic and linear. It is character interaction and side quests where their games really shine. Story usually only serves as a base holding the "main game" - conversations, multiple choices, reveals and plot twists, lore, etc. And that's why I love their games so much. It is not the story itself that defines a game, it is how it is delivered, and in this Bioware is the best without real contest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah man, not even close. The setting is extremely generic/dull and the plot was fairly mediocre for the majority of the game. While I give them credit for crafting fairly unique and fun Origin's for each race combo. The majority of the game was pretty straight forward 'Tolkien-esque' fantasy. They didn't really take any risks, the gameplay was fairly archaic (basically a better version of Neverwinter Nights engine), and the characters where the same generic group you get in every Bioware game.

All that said, I still think the game was very good. Definitely one of the better RPGs that Bioware has released in the last 10 years. It's still not even on the same level as KoToR or the original Mass Effect game. My biggest problem with the DA series is that Bioware chose to create a new IP that was basically just another D&D game. They didn't really do anything new or impressive. The high-fantasy, elves/magic/dragons/dwarves setting has been done to death. I thought they where going in the right direction with the release of Jade Empire; which had a pretty unique setting (ancient Chinese mythology) as far as western games go.

I can't believe you found DA:O better than some of the games you mentioned like FF:6, Chrono Trigger and KoToR. I think you are just suffering from post-game hype, when you play a game you really enjoyed but are unable to see it's obvious flaws due to the impression it left on you. It's kind of how I felt after beating Xenogears for the first time, back in 98. For like a good year, I refused to play anything else and really thought it was the epitome of gaming. I still consider it to be one of my top 5 favorite RPG's of all time but after replaying it again after 10+ years I can say it really had it's flaws. Especially on that second disk.

TL;DR No way OP, you mentioned other games that are way better than DA:O. I think you are just suffering from post-game hype.
    Last edited by Fullmetal89; 2014-04-28 at 09:46 PM.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was a decent game. The RPG parts of the game were good. The combat imo left a lot to be desired. I think it would be considered for a slot in any top 10, but there are far better games out there. Any of the Baldur's Gate games would rank higher in my opinion. Again best ever is very subjective, and everyone has an opinion.
    Patience is a virtue. I never claimed to be virtuous.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    I would like to see Baldurs gate re-done and tweaked with modern graphics.
    Oh yea I loved Baldurs Gate back in the day, I remember playing it all day and then my brother came home and said what is this shit. But after he played it for a bit he actually enjoyed it too