Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gateways to strong.

According to blizzard gateways were to strong this expansion. Personally it is a convenience spell I can't think of one fight it was mandatory on. Maybe going forward into mythic there are unforseeable circumstances where it may become mandatory or to OP but I can't say I agree with blizzards view on this. Mind you I raid 10 man and only PvP for fun. Maybe I am missing or forgetting something?

In case you missed it: Warlock Gateways were too strong this expansion, so the range is being reduced and cooldown increased.
    Last edited by Dethh; 2014-04-14 at 07:14 PM.

Deleted
    Iron Qon, Megaera HC, Thok, 2nd boss in HoF and Leishen HC are bosses I´d consider a lot easier if you got a warlockportal.

I know you're focusing on PvE but Portals completely change how an arena team plays with a warlock. its why warriors will risk getting jibbed jumping across the map to stop the warrior from getting a portal off.

Maybe it isn't overpowered in the grand scheme but it is certainly extremely strong.

Very very strong in pvp, and strong in a few pve encounters. With the pve ones having the caveat of having the gateways sometimes despawning at random.

Deleted
    Strong in PVP and useful on every boss encounter in MoP.

Every single encounter can benefit from this. Well as long as your raid team is using brain ofc.

examples:

Immersus - drop gateway and use it on swirl to avoid it
    Protectors - gateway ina Cross on map for kittinging of the adds
    Nourishen - Gateway to portals so it is easy to get there from 2 side of map
    Sha Gateways - to Prison unlocks and Add back
    Galakras - Gateways for people moving to towers and melee going back with fire ball
    Iron Jaggernaut - gateway for people having troubles with positioning and being kicked to back
    Shamans - gateway to help tanks kite if its kite tactics
    Nazgrim - Gateways across so people can kite assasins while they are being killed, melee can get to shamans faster etc
    and so so much more....

simply every boss can heavly benefit from gateways.
    Last edited by mmocd8c4266675; 2014-04-14 at 07:44 PM.

Honestly I wish they'd just remove this spell. because they're going to turn it into something that is going to be almost never used. An ability like demonic gateway is just too hard to balance, because it just is too useful in pvp and pve. I personally don't use them too much anymore because they're unreliable with the despawning issues, but yeah i agree with voidytv it can be used for almost every encounter as long as other raiders know how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by VoidyTv View Post

Every single encounter can benefit from this. Well as long as your raid team is using brain ofc.

examples:

Galakras - Gateways for people moving to towers and melee going back with fire ball
    Iron Jaggernaut - gateway for people having troubles with positioning and being kicked to back
    Nazgrim - Gateways across so people can kite assasins while they are being killed, melee can get to shamans faster etc
    and so so much more....

The only one of these we used was Sha, rest were like w/e. Also a tank using Gateway drops their threat to 0 for some time, so a tank should never use it.

Here's a list of fights where the portals were really good:
    Patch 5.0-5.1
    Imperial Vizier Zor'lok - Getting across the mess in the middle in P1.
    Blade Lord Ta'yak - Getting across the room in P2
    Garalon - We had 3 warlocks with portals from the middle to 3 different parts of the room for when the kiter needed to switch

Patch 5.2-5.3
    Horridon - 3 Warlocks, 3 portals across the 3 last gates
    Magaera - Kiting the Frost to the back of the room, then portal back
    Ji-Kun - Obvious one for not getting knocked off
    Iron Qon - Getting out from the storm
    Lei Shen HC - Obvious here
    Ra-Den - Made the debuff switching a lot easier

Patch 5.4
    Immerseus - avoiding Swirl
    Sha of Pride - Portals to the Prisons
    Thok - Good for getting away from him
    Siegecrafter(HC) - Portals to the pipes for melee that go on the belt

Yes, you can use them on every fight, but I feel like for these fights they were a major help.

Deleted

examples:

and so so much more....

Some of these feel like you would be using gateway just for the sake of using it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    The only one of these we used was Sha, rest were like w/e. Also a tank using Gateway drops their threat to 0 for some time, so a tank should never use it.
    Not anymore mate since 5.4 it was fixed and it is not dropping threat anymore you had old info. But before this change it was OP for DPSeres just to drop threat.

Well it is not like it is needed on every boss, it just helps a lot to make some part of fights better/more reliable. And on some bosses it helps to "cheat" mechanics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Pretty sure the threat dump was removed in 5.4.

It stuns me in every group I go someone puts a portal down and it either despawns 14 seconds into the fight because the warlock ran out of range, or it just sits there unused because barely anyone has an excuse to zip over to the other side of the map and reposition, rather than simply take the 1.4 seconds it takes to walk there

There's been about five or six bosses tops in the entire expansion where a portal was game changing and maybe three more that's 'useful' (IE engineers on Garrosh for one phase). Three patches and well over a year since beta and I still think it's a pretty shit spell, 75% of the time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jackvii View Post
    It stuns me in every group I go someone puts a portal down and it either despawns 14 seconds into the fight because the warlock ran out of range, or it just sits there unused because barely anyone has an excuse to zip over to the other side of the map and reposition, rather than simply take the 1.4 seconds it takes to walk there

There's been about five or six bosses tops in the entire expansion where a portal was game changing and maybe three more that's 'useful' (IE engineers on Garrosh for one phase). Three patches and well over a year since beta and I still think it's a pretty shit spell, 75% of the time.
    You should add that you clear stuff on heroic mode and still think gateway is shit

They should remove it and give us a tier that buffs our personal teleport.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizelda View Post
    They should remove it and give us a tier that buffs our personal teleport.
    We already have a glyph that reduces the cooldown, in affliction it can give us an immunity to slows and roots while giving us a movement speed increase aswell.
    What more can we get? 2 charges on teleport?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by login View Post
    Honestly I wish they'd just remove this spell. because they're going to turn it into something that is going to be almost never used. An ability like demonic gateway is just too hard to balance, because it just is too useful in pvp and pve. I personally don't use them too much anymore because they're unreliable with the despawning issues, but yeah i agree with voidytv it can be used for almost every encounter as long as other raiders know how to use it.
    this.. just remove it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wesneed View Post
    We already have a glyph that reduces the cooldown, in affliction it can give us an immunity to slows and roots while giving us a movement speed increase aswell.
    immortality

You should add that you clear stuff on heroic mode and still think gateway is shit
    What fights is it mandatory on though?

Quote Originally Posted by jackvii View Post

I have to agree, my guild is 13/14h atm. The only fight I use gateway on is Garrosh, because I do engineers and we tank him away from them for w/e reason. I have yet to see a boss where I need it or we can't kill it. Even Garrosh I have forgotten to drop a gateway and still killed the engineer with darkflight and self portal for the next one. When I do drop it no one uses it anyway. Now PvP it seems a little better yet there are still top teams without a lock to drop it.

I also noticed they are changing healthstones: A raid shouldn't feel like they need to bring a Warlock for Healthstones, which is why Healing Potions and Healthstones will share a cooldown and only be usable once per fight. DPS potions are not on the same cooldown as Healing Potions. Can't remember the last time someone brought a lock for HS and not dps.
    Last edited by Dethh; 2014-04-14 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    I have to agree, my guild is 13/14h atm. The only fight I use gateway on is Garrosh, because I do engineers and we tank him away from them for w/e reason. I have yet to see a boss where I need it or we can't kill it. Even Garrosh I have forgotten to drop a gateway and still killed the engineer with darkflight and self portal for the next one. When I do drop it no one uses it anyway. Now PvP it seems a little better yet there are still top teams without a lock to drop it.

I also noticed they are changing healthstones: A raid shouldn't feel like they need to bring a Warlock for Healthstones, which is why Healing Potions and Healthstones will share a cooldown and only be usable once per fight. DPS potions are not on the same cooldown as Healing Potions. Can't remember the last time someone brought a lock for HS and not dps.
    I second this.

Rather have them removed if they're gonna balance us arround gateway.

EDIT: not all this, lol.

Anw, it's pretty clear that they make warlock's gateway a MUST HAVE instead of a bonus in PVP and we don't NEED it on PVE so the losers can make an excuse saying that warlocks utility is overpower. Not every arena you can place a gateway unless you do it right from the start and the enemies are so bad that they're gonna come over to you.

Remove it, and I'll be more than glad.
    Last edited by evertonbelmontt; 2014-04-14 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesneed View Post
    Sure. Two charges would be a good one.

Invis for 3-5 seconds after. Make portal invisible. Longer range. Porting could grant a shield, speed boost. Cloak of shadows effect.

So many options to spruce up our personal portal.

Quote Originally Posted by Boblet View Post
    Seriously? http://www.wowhead.com/spell=144798

No wonder you think the spell is worthless.
    You linked

Exploding Iron Star Level 90
    Unlimited range
    Instant
    The impact of the Iron Star causes it to explode, inflicting 1950000 to 2050000 Fire damage to nearby enemies. The damage inflicted decreases the farther away an enemy is from the explosion.

What is your point?