Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can create a larger list of all the things they are removing than what they are adding in WOD....With all the things they are removing/ not doing why is it taking so long compared to past expansions >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    You can create a larger list of all the things they are removing than what they are adding in WOD....With all the things they are removing/ not doing why is it taking so long compared to past expansions >.<
    Because they're evil and greedy and are obviously trying anything just to hurt your feelings and break your heart. Didn't you know?

Quote Originally Posted by mofi View Post
    is it opposite day where you come from? because they´ve been adding more and more with each expansion
    You're joking right? Go count the dungeons and raids up and compare.

Honestly, I do like reading all the quest text, on every character that does them. I do it for nostalgia (Elwynn Forest in the classic beta... a lot has changed but some stuff hasn't) and also for the immersion. I actually find the main WoW storyline to be fairly boring, but I like "immersing" myself in all the little storylines throughout the zones. I'm quite disappointed about this change, but I think maybe I don't understand it?

So now I could walk into a town and just click an NPC with a ! over his head, and then I'll get an objective to kill 10 pigs? That's all it's going to say? That can't be right.

Also, even though I love the quest texts, I can understand people not caring about them being removed. I also don't really agree that quest text is "horrible writing" either. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    Less work put into things that have barely anything to do with the zone story; more work put into things that have something to do with the zone story.

Or you can put that more work elsewhere.
    Except Blizzard's current approach is "less work here, so that over here we can do...errr....less work as well". Everything I see about their current approach suggests cost cutting, corner cutting. Trying to do things cheaper. For a company that generates over a billion dollars of income a year from this game, that isn't what the players should expect, is it?

Building the zones takes too much time? Cut out flying, it will be cheaper. Balancing mulitple stats, lets cut down the number of stats. Quest text needs writers? Cut most of it out.

The most used word in the patch notes is going to be "removed".
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    You're joking right? Go count the dungeons and raids up and compare.
    because that´s the only ingame content, amirite? i did count them, so what now?
    8 dungeons, 17raid bosses, ~10scenarios
    Last edited by mmoc6d823f96e4; 2014-04-15 at 10:43 AM.

honestly, in addition to what I said on the first page, theres also the fact that we can have ingame chat and notifications/alerts for these side objectives. quest text is not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Except Blizzard's current approach is "less work here, so that over here we can do...errr....less work as well". Everything I see about their current approach suggests cost cutting, corner cutting. Trying to do things cheaper. For a company that generates over a billion dollars of income a year from this game, that isn't what the players should expect, is it?

Building the zones takes too much time? Cut out flying, it will be cheaper. Balancing mulitple stats, lets cut down the number of stats. Quest text needs writers? Cut most of it out.

The most used word in the patch notes is going to be "removed".
    It's not like Draenor is about as big as Northrend (or slightly bigger) and bigger than pandaria and Outland, but they are cutting zone development. Right. Logic? Reasonable arguments? Not in WoW-Forums.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    honestly, in addition to what I said on the first page, theres also the fact that we can have ingame chat and notifications/alerts for these side objectives. quest text is not needed.
    It's never needed, it's just nice to have.

Deleted
    "Go collect 10 Pigdicks, those pigs have been attacking my farm lately!"

"Now that is interesting Mr. Farmer, please tell me more, because your lore is important to me. And don't be afraid to cut corners, give me the full story!"

Or you know you could follow along WoDs heroes and see how they react to everything and how things unfold, who get's killed and so on.

OP is just complaining because he somehow thinks it's the "cool" thing to do.
    Last edited by mmoc10bda09cc4; 2014-04-15 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    I think people are forgetting that this is an mmoRPG. Quest text and fluff are extremely important for immersion purposes.

The guy who lives in the house by the swamp... I want to know his story, and I'd like to help him hunt some elk to feed his family dinner that night. Or helping a peasant woman collect rare flowers to make medicine for her dying husband. Or even bringing a soldier his forgotten lunch and helping out with a little romance in town. To me, that makes a true hero. Being concerned for citizens outside the main story arch, that have nothing to do with the great threat of whoever.

I realize that players from all different genres of the gaming industry are playing wow, and they don't care about this, but that doesn't mean the devs should abandon all immersion elements because they're time consuming to make. It's a bad move and I really hope they reconsider. This will be a huge blow to the game, and for me, the final nail in the coffin as I love leveling, and reading the quests.

Deleted
    This will be a huge blow to the game, and for me, the final nail in the coffin as I love leveling, and reading the quests.
    i guess that about 99% of the playerbase don´t even care.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabos View Post
    "Go collect 10 Pigdicks, those pigs have been attacking my farm lately!"

"Now that is interesting Mr. Farmer, please tell me more, because your lore is important to me. And don't be afraid to cut corners, give me the full story!"

Or you know you could follow along WoDs heroes and see how they react to everything and how things unfold, who get's killed and so on.

OP is just complaining because he somehow thinks it's the "cool" thing to do.

Just because you don't care about NPCs in the game that aren't heroes doesn't mean everyone is apathetic.

IMHO - removing side quest text will reduce immersion for the people who enjoy them. There is already a summary in quests for those who don't care about quest text. Why remove the side stories though? Some are pretty funny and entertaining. And writing silly side stories does not take a lot of effort. None of them are real intricate or need to be balanced. I guess I just don't understand Blizzard's logic on this one.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am a little worried about this, as I find the tiny quests to add flavour. A little minor info about some stranger NPC you meet on the road. I kinda like that. It's gonna feel very shallow just to be told to go get 10 pelts without an attempt to make it sound usefull to the NPC you are giving it to.

In such case I think it's better if they use those types of quests as something you do to help fill out some kind of storage, where they need stocks of say pelts, fangs, feather and what not, for the sake of crafting for the society as a whole. If some random NPC at a house somehwre asks me to gather 10 pelts for him, he better tell me what he is gonna use it for. I'll be okay with that storage though. "Hey. I need 10 pelts for XX storage in Hearthglen"(just came up with the first name that popped into my head).

On the bright side. Less time spent on writing text to shallow filler quests should give more room for development elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    should give more room for development elsewhere.
    Hopefully :S

If I had the choice I'd remove text from all quests. Want some lore? Read a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post

On the bright side. Less time spent on writing text to shallow filler quests should give more room for development elsewhere.
    *Pat*

I wish I still had this kind of optimism. The reality is that blizzard is probably just doing whatever they can to cut costs and line their pockets before this thing goes under.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    IMHO - removing side quest text will reduce immersion for the people who enjoy them.
    you´ll get immersion via not being able to fly. enjoy

15+ Year Old Account
    I think people are forgetting that this is an mmoRPG. Quest text and fluff are extremely important for immersion purposes.

The guy who lives in the house by the swamp... I want to know his story, and I'd like to help him hunt some elk to feed his family dinner that night. Or helping a peasant woman collect rare flowers to make medicine for her dying husband. Or even bringing a soldier his forgotten lunch and helping out with a little romance in town. To me, that makes a true hero. Being concerned for citizens outside the main story arch, that have nothing to do with the great threat of whoever.

I realize that players from all different genres of the gaming industry are playing wow, and they don't care about this, but that doesn't mean the devs should abandon all immersion elements because they're time consuming to make. It's a bad move and I really hope they reconsider. This will be a huge blow to the game, and for me, the final nail in the coffin as I love leveling, and reading the quests.
    This is basicly how I feel aswell. It makes me worried. I am not gonna fully judge it just yet, but I know I don't like gathering stuff if I don't get explained why. I also love those mini stories about that total stranger far out there in Azeroth. Why he lives by the lake, and what's up with him or the fish there, that makes him incapable of getting them by himself.

I am one of those who would also hate to see grey items go. They add flavour. Flavour is cool. Details are cool. Details matter a lot, even the tiniest one.