Page 1 of 34
... LastLast
    Deleted

Thumbs down now they even can't be arsed to put work into writing text anymore?

"The bonus objectives no longer have any story text that go with them, just a list of objectives. Now when there is quest text, you will know that it is really worth reading"

can you please make questing even more boring as it is

Mod-note: Before you all go high over and such, thought I would like to share with you an announcement about the subject to be better explained. https://twitter.com/DaveKosak/status/456236776793702400

Remember again, bonus objectives aren't quests though.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-04-17 at 04:44 PM.

Do you really sit and read all the quest info they give you? I know I sure don't.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

You don't go through all the Quest Text anyway, and they're removing it from non-Story Quests, side quests that are literally; "Go get my 10 Pelts because I said so".

I see no issue with this, I want to know the objectives, and get it done A.S.A.P.

Deleted
    I don't see anything wrong with it, I never read them anyways. Might read them now if only some more important quests have text though, makes me notice them for once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Less work put into things that have barely anything to do with the zone story; more work put into things that have something to do with the zone story.

Or you can put that more work elsewhere.
    Last edited by Auxis; 2014-04-15 at 07:28 AM.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

As someone who's done every single quest in the game at least once, on both factions, and read every piece of quest text, I fully support this move.

If it's not important to move the story forward, don't write anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by hypetrain View Post
    Reading pointless text is exactly the kind of boredom they're trying to avoid?

Remember this quest?

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=27729/o...re-with-eeling

Edifying.

Admittedly, kind of funny.

Not as funny as this old one though:

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=4063/th...f-the-machines
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2014-04-15 at 07:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Shouldn't it be the other way around? The main quests told through actual dialogue and actions and the side-quests told through quest text? I mean theoretically this could work out great if they're using it as a testing ground for showing not telling, which will then be applied to all quests. But I could also see it just resulting in a complete lack of story. When they said WoD would have side stories I thought they would be just that, side stories. The ability to optionally get some Talbuk pelts isn't a side story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Do you really sit and read all the quest info they give you? I know I sure don't.
    I do, I read every quest at least once. Sometimes when you do that, those objectives make sense instead of. "Why the fat bearman want green stones?"

Deleted
    Kind of sad.

They are put together a half job expansion that you have to wait 8 more months for.

Stopped reading the quests since TBC. Honestly their writing isn't that good. Who even bothers to read quests lol?

I have an ex-friend whose OCD means he has a compulsion to read every single bit of text before he does anything. I had to be the one to run him through dungeons while he leveled, because he was getting kicked from LFD for reading the instance quests. And it doesn't matter how many times he's done said quest, he HAS to read the text. This will go a long way to shutting up people like him.

Granted, I will read the text for all the quests I do the first time, because having an NPC give me a reason for doing something helps with the immersion. (In instances, I will wait until I finish the instance to read, that way I'm not holding anything up--dude I know simply can't do that.)

10+ Year Old Account
    "The bonus objectives no longer have any story text that go with them, just a list of objectives. Now when there is quest text, you will know that it is really worth reading"

But, so what? Bonus objectives aren't lore, not even bits or lore or needed information. It is just a secondary goal. "can you please make questing even more boring as it is" - I'll have you know, I enjoy many quests, and I mostly read them once or twice in total pr. faction.

But the bonus objectives we have today, doesn't say hardly anything either. Just says, "Bla. bla. bla. do X within Y time" They never actually say anything worth.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

This does not mean that there will be no questtext anymore, only that the BONUS objectives in an Area will not have any quest text. Who enjoys the story will still have plenty of things to read and who skips everything will still have to skip everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    With all the changes they are making, I have no idea why this expansion is taking so long to release.

It's about time the main story quests should be voiced.

Another thing is, side quests can still have a fun story, it just doesn't haven't to be one main story plot, this is where they are being lazy.

these are side objectives, they don't need text. They're part of the greater series of events going on, outside but not separate from the central storyline.

Isn't this part of that system they mentioned before (a continuance and refinement of the timeless isle system) where we "encounter" situations and objectives?

I like this change..... normally, I only read the objective anyway.
    Now, when there is actually text, may (just maybe) I will be tempted to read it, cause it will tell the story instead of some random talk I'm not interested in.

I think this is a good change.

Deleted
    ok so the elitist minority that rushes through game without consuming lore content at all is in this tread so far. some of us, silent majority do like the fact that there is a written thing as well, especially on lore or immersive playthroughs. saying "kill 5 boars" is boring and no text at all on these side objectives is a rushed out lazy choice

Because we need a major explanation as to why we should go kill 10 Boars while we get these herbs for a miracle elixir to save someone from lethal poison. "While you're out there, kill some boars, makes it safer, gets us meat, tusks, pelts, etc etc, Go"

Right!

I'll be happy to just have some story for the important bits.

Not too big a deal, but will be a subtle difference in "immersion" even if the quests are largely irrelevant to the core story. (Yes, I read every quest even when they are poorly written. It's not hard or time consuming for anyone of slight intelligence)
    Stay salty my friends.

Deleted
    ok so the elitist minority that rushes through game without consuming lore content at all is in this tread so far. some of us, silent majority do like the fact that there is a written thing as well, especially on lore or immersive playthroughs. saying "kill 5 boars" is boring and no text at all on these side objectives is a rushed out lazy choice
    Elitist minority? Wow, really? How does it make people elitist? They can add all the text they want, don't matter to me, I just want the objectives. As long the main story have lore and text I'm happy, the small side stuff, I don't really bother with, I just want the exp and reward from it.