Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    If you can't meet the spectacularly low requirements of community college, college might not be for you at this point in life.
    Outside of missing 1 more class than it states is allowed through the syllabus which is the only thing i mentioned, i don't see how you could develop an opinion such as i don't meet the spectacularly low requirements for community college. You know absolutely nothing about my grades or my work quality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Aren't community colleges mostly 2 year job training type diplomas? And if that's the case then arbitrary attendance expectations make perfect sense.
    I thought it was more of a school funding thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    It doesn't sound like the professor is treating the class like high school.

It sounds like you are.
    missing four classes = treating a class like highschool?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Dude, this is every language class in every college pretty much. I mean, think about the purpose of the language class. To teach you a language (reading, writing, speaking, listening). You build those last two skills by doing work in groups and generally interacting with people.
    I understand the benefits of groups but at the same time people like me, who just don't have the mentality for other languages, get put into groups on a whim with class work grades reliant on both parties, it becomes a bit stressful. A lot of our assignments are turned in through the schools online program and i do get my work done it just takes a quite a bit longer than my other subjects even with a comparable workload.

I guess i've just developed a skewed opinion based on negative experiences that makes me equate this kind of group work to lower forms of education.

honestly, most courses you can pass by just showing up.. if you can't even do that.. why bother taking classes in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield View Post
    honestly, most courses you can pass by just showing up.. if you can't even do that.. why bother taking classes in the first place?
    Requirement for major. Also where did i say i could not show up for class?

Quote Originally Posted by Coraulten View Post
    Requirement for major. Also where did i say i could not show up for class?
    If that's the case, you should attend the lectures and embrace your professor's teaching style.

My teacher treats the class like highschool (spanish). "lets all get into groups and do -insert assignment here-" fucking horrible at spanish and now someone elses work is reliant on me. Makes it a very stressful learning environment.
    So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you are horrible at the subject matter and do not wish to do the assignments. You have not attended class. Really now, what good will keeping you in the class do? If you are not good at the subject and you are neither attending the class nor doing the work, what possible hope do you hold out for passing? If you do in fact pass, considering your current performance, your instructor would be doing a disservice to both you and everyone else who takes the class.

Outside of missing 1 more class than it states is allowed through the syllabus which is the only thing i mentioned, i don't see how you could develop an opinion such as i don't meet the spectacularly low requirements for community college. You know absolutely nothing about my grades or my work quality.
    Well, let's see.
    Say i get dropped from a class due to having too many absences, is there a way to be put back into the class?
    Rather than just showing up for class, you're looking for some way to skirt the rules. This is not a great sign.
    "lets all get into groups and do -insert assignment here-" fucking horrible at spanish and now someone elses work is reliant on me.
    You're complaining that a relatively standard learning format doesn't work for you and that you're having trouble with the material.
    Makes it a very stressful learning environment.
    You're concerned about the level of stress from this relatively standard classroom environment.

I guess you can settle on me just being a total asshole that wants to say mean things, but in all seriousness, if you're unable to deal comfortably with community college level Spanish, it might be best to reconsider whether academics is your thing or not. There's other fruitful avenues in life.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you can't meet the spectacularly low requirements of community college, college might not be for you at this point in life.
    It's a good thing a large number of community college professors also teach at universities then isn't it? The requirements to get in aren't as strict as a university, but the coursework isn't any weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Aren't community colleges mostly 2 year job training type diplomas? And if that's the case then arbitrary attendance expectations make perfect sense.
    They offer a combination of 2 year degrees, vocational degrees, and transfer programs for people who wish to move on to 4 year universities.

OT: Most schools have a method of getting re-added to the class roster but it's usually a pain in the ass. Depending on the teacher they may go through the trouble to add you again; it's worth a shot at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by dusselldorf View Post
    So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you are horrible at the subject matter and do not wish to do the assignments. You have not attended class. Really now, what good will keeping you in the class do? If you are not good at the subject and you are neither attending the class nor doing the work, what possible hope do you hold out for passing? If you do in fact pass, considering your current performance, your instructor would be doing a disservice to both you and everyone else who takes the class.
    You did not understand at all. I was merely asking a couple questions out of curiosity with giving some of my backround as a sort of relevancy.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, let's see.

Rather than just showing up for class, you're looking for some way to skirt the rules. This is not a great sign.

You're complaining that a relatively standard learning format doesn't work for you and that you're having trouble with the material.

You're concerned about the level of stress from this relatively standard classroom environment.

I guess you can settle on me just being a total asshole that wants to say mean things, but in all seriousness, if you're unable to deal comfortably with community college level Spanish, it might be best to reconsider whether academics is your thing or not. There's other fruitful avenues in life.
    Where did i say i'm trying to skirt the rules. Wanting to know out of genuine curiosity = wanting to commit the action? So if i'm curious about how terrorists managed to hijack a plane that must mean i want to do it.

I'm complaining about how she forces some grades becoming dependent on someone other than yourself. Looking at it from the persons perspective that i would be working with, i take longer with spanish work as it is not something that naturally clicks with me so i was criticizing the teaching method.

Clearly because i find this specific teaching method stressful in a class i have to take due to my major that has little to do with my major that means i should reconsider academics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Permatree View Post
    It's a good thing a large number of community college professors also teach at universities then isn't it? The requirements to get in aren't as strict as a university, but the coursework isn't any weaker.

They offer a combination of 2 year degrees, vocational degrees, and transfer programs for people who wish to move on to 4 year universities.

OT: Most schools have a method of getting re-added to the class roster but it's usually a pain in the ass. Depending on the teacher they may go through the trouble to add you again; it's worth a shot at any rate.
    I appreciate an actual answer without making a bunch of assumptions.

Not sarcastic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    If that's the case, you should attend the lectures and embrace your professor's teaching style.
    When did i fucking say i don't show up for my class lectures outside of the 4 missed classes.

There's always the possibility of OP just manning up and getting through it. Language and lab courses both make me extremely uncomfortable, but I just keep on trucking because sometimes you just need to get through the tough stuff to get where you want to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

I'm complaining about how she forces some grades becoming dependent on someone other than yourself. Looking at it from the persons perspective that i would be working with, i take longer with spanish work as it is not something that naturally clicks with me so i was criticizing the teaching method.

Clearly because i find this specific teaching method stressful in a class i have to take due to my major that has little to do with my major that means i should reconsider academics.

- - - Updated - - -

I appreciate an actual answer without making a bunch of assumptions.

Not sarcastic.
    Hmm, well, working with and depending on others is part of life, especially once you get out of college and into the workforce. All I can suggest is that you try your hardest to stick it out, don't skip class, and perhaps try to form friendships within your class to make working with your peers more fun.

I realize it may vary from school to school but my school website doesn't give a sufficient answer.
    It varies so much from school to school that any answer we give you would be less than useless. Why are you asking a bunch of random people from all over the world who probably don't even go to your school - hell, who don't even know what school you're talking about - instead of, say, your school's admissions office? They'll know exactly what the policies are for that sort of thing and can give you the correct, most applicable answer. We just have guesses and conjecture that may not even apply to your school anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    It varies so much from school to school that any answer we give you would be less than useless. Why are you asking a bunch of random people from all over the world who probably don't even go to your school - hell, who don't even know what school you're talking about - instead of, say, your school's admissions office? They'll know exactly what the policies are for that sort of thing and can give you the correct, most applicable answer. We just have guesses and conjecture that may not even apply to your school anyway.
    I'm fairly sure that this question is not one that the school administration would find amusing. If anything, it would put him on the radar if he isn't on there already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

When did i fucking say i don't show up for my class lectures
    4 missed classes
    Here? /10char

Quote Originally Posted by Kantalope View Post
    Here? /10char
    Apparently there are only 4 classes in a semester, thanks for the info i had no idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    There's always the possibility of OP just manning up and getting through it. Language and lab courses both make me extremely uncomfortable, but I just keep on trucking because sometimes you just need to get through the tough stuff to get where you want to go.
    When did i say i'm not going through it? The fuck is wrong with everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rabian View Post
    Hmm, well, working with and depending on others is part of life, especially once you get out of college and into the workforce. All I can suggest is that you try your hardest to stick it out, don't skip class, and perhaps try to form friendships within your class to make working with your peers more fun.
    It would be different if say we were working on a project, i would be able to contribute due to having the time. But this she just out of the blue "hey lets get into groups and turn it in, in about 15 minutes".

Apparently there are only 4 classes in a semester, thanks for the info i had no idea.
    You said yourself in an earlier post, that the 4 classes corresponds to 20% of the classes. That's a pretty large amount of class to be missing. You seem to me, another entitled youth that thinks they are so awesome they don't have to show up for class. I hope they revise their policy to an instant fail rather than a drop after excessive absences so that it sticks on your transcript.

You said yourself in an earlier post, that the 4 classes corresponds to 20% of the classes. That's a pretty large amount of class to be missing. You seem to me, another entitled youth that thinks they are so awesome they don't have to show up for class. I hope they revise their policy to an instant fail rather than a drop after excessive absences so that it sticks on your transcript.
    I'm sorry you form opinions based on very little information. Not at all knowing my reason for missing said classes. How you could possibly know how i view myself with regards to missing class is beyond me? I do not believe i even stated my age so that fact that you assume i'm a youth just contributes more to the ignorance of your post.

But hey me being curious about something means i'm an entitled youth. I guess it had nothing to do with having no class today (teacher canceled it just so you don't assume i skipped) which made me think about these situations googleing for an answer and thought, why not ask the mmo-champion community they seem pretty knowledgeable on a variety of subjects. But no, i get people like you who like to make assumptions and talk out of their ass.

Holy frack the pessimism and assholishness in this thread. The amount of people that are in situations where they can't 100% guarantee they can make classes regularly but still want to actually get somewhere in life in the US is pretty large. From personal experience working 2 hourly jobs with a high turnover rate in managers at one of them, you can only plan for so much when trying to make it through school with out rich parents to make it easy.

In reply to the op. Most of the time it's best to talk to the instructor if they're even moderately approachable. As long as your outward attitude in the past has been good you will be fine. Mention that you're stress is towards worry for your classmates reliance on your performance and see what he/she says. As to the attendance you do need to ask as some instructors won't give you any heads up whatsoever.

10+ Year Old Account
    For future reference, OP: Ratemyprofessor.com will make your life a lot easier before adding classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohreeree View Post
    Holy frack the pessimism and assholishness in this thread. The amount of people that are in situations where they can't 100% guarantee they can make classes regularly but still want to actually get somewhere in life in the US is pretty large. From personal experience working 2 hourly jobs with a high turnover rate in managers at one of them, you can only plan for so much when trying to make it through school with out rich parents to make it easy.

A person knows their life better than anyone else, it is their responsibility to structure things like academics around their other responsibilities. Most colleges provide adequate avenues to do this such as night classes and online learning. There are even totally online programs and colleges that provide flexibility for students who have a lot going on.

Speaking as someone who teaches at a University, the attendance policy is generally furnished by the university not the instructor. I don't give a shit if you come to my class or not, I take attendance as the policy requires. However, don't come to me at mid-term crying because you failed the exam and I have no idea who you are because you've never come to class.

My responsibility is to provide an education, it is the student's responsibility to make sure they receive it.

10+ Year Old Account
    In college, how the class operates is pretty much up to the professor.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.