Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    My friend was an exchange student in the US couple of years ago. He had sex with a black woman in Detroit.
    Holy nonsequitur, Batman!
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    How about Hunger Games Detroit?

Just trying to brainstorm good ideas here.
    As long as the showhosts look ridiculous like in the movies I'll watch ^-^
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

District 13!

10+ Year Old Account

No.....we have enough death here as it is

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    No.....we have enough death here as it is
    Good, so you only need to add the hunger. You are like 50% done!
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Just build a wall around it and sell action packed trips there to thrillseekers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    As long as the showhosts look ridiculous like in the movies I'll watch ^-^
    So... get Graham Norton to host it?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's kinda embarrassing for a first world nation to have a massive semi-abandoned third world city in our bourders.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raivosoturi View Post
    Just build a wall around it and sell action packed trips there to thrillseekers
    Fuck that shit, I've had enough Detroit to last me a lifetime.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Because it's kinda embarrassing for a first world nation to have a massive semi-abandoned third world city in our bourders.
    Many of our cities have semi-abandoned neighborhoods. Here's Houston's 5th ward:

That's like a mile and a half from downtown. Actually, that last one is like a half mile from Downtown. Yet Houston is a thriving metropolis, and no one would ever consider shuttering it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Why pump money into it?
    I was under the impression that the state has been essentially stealing from Detroit for years. The feds certainly pumped money into the big automakers, but who's pumping money into rebuilding Detroit?

Definitely not an expert on Michigan politics, but I think the idea that anyone outside Detroit is working really hard to save the city doesn't ring true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Many of our cities have semi-abandoned neighborhoods. Here's Houston's 5th ward:

That's like a mile and a half from downtown. Actually, that last one is like a half mile from Downtown. Yet Houston is a thriving metropolis, and no one would ever consider shuttering it.
    I'm not saying we should shutter it. I'm saying we should fix it. Houston is thriving despite these neighborhoods, but Detroit is struggling. We shouldn't close or raze Detroit though, we should try to fix it. And what I was trying to say is that we should fix it because its an embarrassment for a first world country to let a city get as bad as Detroit is.
    Putin khuliyo

Detroit has a ton of problems, not the least of which is an utterly corrupt to the bone city council, mayors that cared more about blaming the suburbs than actually fixing the problems of the city, and catering to political bosses over doing what was right for the people, regardless of how popular or unpopular it may have been.

It's going to take tough love to save Detroit but it can be done. As one of the people who wants to see it saved, I'd really like to see some practical ideas on that front.
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bayushisan View Post
    Detroit has a ton of problems, not the least of which is an utterly corrupt to the bone city council, mayors that cared more about blaming the suburbs than actually fixing the problems of the city, and catering to political bosses over doing what was right for the people, regardless of how popular or unpopular it may have been.

It's going to take tough love to save Detroit but it can be done. As one of the people who wants to see it saved, I'd really like to see some practical ideas on that front.
    White flight sucked away a lot of potential property tax, that factually happened, that's not blaming, that was reality. What political bosses and what catering? Stop talking in vague buzzwords.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    turn 7 mile area into a prison to house the dangerous elements? When you have gangrene you amputate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

15+ Year Old Account

Don't you have bulldozers there? Smash those dangerous "buildings" down and clean the place.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Why don't companies and the country cut the losses, and abandon Detroit? If it doesn't work, start anew, instead of beating a dead horse.
    Why pump money into it?
    Because it'd be more expensive and incur more liability to burn it or leave it alone.

I feel the same way about New Orleans, not because it's crime ridden, (It's really an awesome city) but for natural disaster reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't you have bulldozers there? Smash those dangerous "buildings" down and clean the place.
    Those dangerous "buildings" are owned by people, and the city can't just go bulldoze willy-nilly. People hold onto the properties in the hopes that someday they'll be worth something, and can't be asked to maintain them in the meantime, because they hope someday someone will want to buy the property and will be willing to bulldoze it themselves.

15+ Year Old Account
    Those dangerous "buildings" are owned by people, and the city can't just go bulldoze willy-nilly. People hold onto the properties in the hopes that someday they'll be worth something, and can't be asked to maintain them in the meantime, because they hope someday someone will want to buy the property and will be willing to bulldoze it themselves.
    Don't you have laws and regulations which specify structural and aesthetic requirements for buildings?

In Finland you couldn't have those kinds of piles of shit around. If the property isn't managed/upkept properly, the city/state has the right to demolish it. Buildings like those are environmental/safety hazards.

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    I feel the same way about New Orleans, not because it's crime ridden, (It's really an awesome city) but for natural disaster reasons.
    I think rebuilding New Orleans is an abomination. A city under the water level? crazy!!!!
    For same reasons I believe long term investing in NYC is unwise, if you believe the water is rising.