Deleted

Remote Desktop on Windows 7

I have 2 computers on the same network, both with Windows 7 Ultimate. I want to run remote desktop, so i went to start, right click on computer, properties, remote settings and toggled the second option (allowing connections from any remote desktop versions) I did this on both PCs. I then went to ''Start, computer, network'' rightclicked on the pc i wanted to connect to (They are on the same network) and clicked on Connect with Remote desktop connection. However, it asks for MY password, even though i don't have one set. I then went to make a password and entered it, and still couldn't connect to it. I also tried using the Homegroup password, no results either.

Anyone that can help me out?

10+ Year Old Account
    Just to be clear, you have the username and password of the system you want to log into, correct?

Example.
    Computer 1 = Computer you are at
    Computer 2 = Computer you are trying to connect to

Using Computer 1, you remote connect and need to enter Computer 2's login/pass.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    you need to use the remote desktop client

the computer you are connecting to must have a password set

when the username and password dialog box comes up, put in the username and password of the computer you are connecting to

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    the computer you are connecting to must have a password set
    ^^ This. It's a requirement to use a remote desktop connection.

You may also need to specify the computer name of the remote system.

Username: Computer2\username
    Password: ***********

Deleted
    MS remote desktop is probably the most annoying feature cut thing you can use as remote desktop. MS limit so much stuff. Did you know that MS limit number of users that can use single XP/7/8... machine? With simple patch many users can work on it at the same time, but no, MS decided to not allow it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fauier View Post
    MS remote desktop is probably the most annoying feature cut thing you can use as remote desktop. MS limit so much stuff. Did you know that MS limit number of users that can use single XP/7/8... machine? With simple patch many users can work on it at the same time, but no, MS decided to not allow it.
    I agree MS should make that feature available for a reasonable price to home users. However that don't give you the right to bypass said restriction simply because you cannot or will not pay the higher price for a server edition os that includes such feature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    However that don't give you the right to bypass said restriction simply because you cannot or will not pay the higher price for a server edition os that includes such feature.
    Pro and up all supports RDP
    or you could imply install VNC for free

10+ Year Old Account
    Pro and up all supports RDP
    or you could imply install VNC for free
    I never said they didn't support RDP. We're talking about concurrent connections that only terminal services provides(at least without using cracks).

10+ Year Old Account
    I never said they didn't support RDP. We're talking about concurrent connections that only terminal services provides(at least without using cracks).
    how is using your own software wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    how is using your own software wrong?
    I really shouldn't have to explain this to you but here goes. The original person I was replying to is most likely using a pro or ultimate edition, which as you are aware has rdp. What it don't have is full blown terminal services. Terminal server allows multiple concurrent remote desktop sessions to the same machine where as normal rdp disconnects the current local or remote user when another user logs in. Modding or patching those services to accomplish that is exactly what is wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really shouldn't have to explain this to you but here goes. The original person I was replying to is most likely using a pro or ultimate edition, which as you are aware has rdp. What it don't have is full blown terminal services. Terminal server allows multiple concurrent remote desktop sessions to the same machine where as normal rdp disconnects the current local or remote user when another user logs in. Modding or patching those services to accomplish that is exactly what is wrong.
    Terminal services is no longer around, it was replaced by hyper-V (several years ago in fact), and that's only really used for VDI, also afaik it simply accepts multiple RDP sessions, but it doesn't let multiple user sessions per windows installation

and the person you were replying to said nothing about multiple sessions anyway

but again, why is it wrong to use something like VNC instead?

10+ Year Old Account
    Terminal services is no longer around, it was replaced by hyper-V (several years ago in fact), and that's only really used for VDI, also afaik it simply accepts multiple RDP sessions, but it doesn't let multiple user sessions per windows installation

and the person you were replying to said nothing about multiple sessions anyway

but again, why is it wrong to use something like VNC instead?
    1. They should probably use hyper-v then.

2. Ok I shall quote them again and bold it this time.

To me multiple sessions = many users can work on it at the same time. What else could they possibly be talking about?

3. To answer your final question I never mentioned once about 3rd party remote software as there is no problem with it. I also apologize if you got that impression when I quoted a post of yours that mentioned vnc.
    Last edited by lockblock; 2014-04-17 at 09:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me multiple sessions = many users can work on it at the same time. What else could they possibly be talking about?

To answer your final question I never mentioned once about 3rd party remote software as there is no problem with it. I also apologize if you got that impression when I quoted a post of yours that mentioned vnc.
    i thought he meant number of simultaneous logins to a box, not necessarily RDP sessions

10+ Year Old Account
    i thought he meant number of simultaneous logins to a box, not necessarily RDP sessions
    If they aren't RDP sessions I assume you mean multiple console/local logins?

I'm going to assume it to be RDP sessions as you wouldn't modify RDP services to allow multiple concurrent console/local logins.