Thoughts on this build for D3, WoW, (Potential) Occulus Rift stuff?

I've been out of the PC Game for several years as I've been mostly doing iOS development (and thus doing everything on Macs), but I've been gaming more and getting interested in dabbling in some Occulus Rift development.

A lot of the parts came straight from the March setup of the month.

I'm not allowed to post links yet, but if you go to pc part picker you could find the build at /p/3sdVW

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card
    Power Supply: Rosewill Fortress 750W 80+ Platinum Certified ATX Power Supply
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
    Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case

Main Concerns/Points of Interest:
    • WoW WoD with fairily high settings, if not max
    • Diablo 3, preferably at max settings
    • Occulus Rift Development / Playing Around - nothing serious, I would mostly want to be able to run the demos that have come out, if it takes forever to compile or some such it's no big deal
    • I don't feel I need a non-ssd as I won't be installing too much (Blizzard games and a few non-blizzard), and I don't need to keep mundane data on it (I have other computers + a NAS for storage)
    • I plan on purchasing one of the Philips 27 inch G-Sync monitors when it's released in the next few months, so Nvidia is a must for the gfx card.
    • It would be nice if it was a quieter machine, which is why I went with more expensive case and heatsinks
    • I'm willing to spend a little more on parts that will be reusable throughout upgrades (case, heatsinks, power supply, stuff like that) or if spending a little more would increase the longevity significantly.
    • I probably won't be actually pulling the trigger for a month or two at the earliest (maybe 3 or 4 if I'm told it'd be better to wait by someone knowledgeable about future releases)

Any obvious things I missed and/or anything that should be swapped out? Will what I've configured work well for the intended games?

I've also been out of the Windows as a main operating system scene for a while - is Windows 8.1 good or would it be better to stick with 7? My Windows experience drops off sharply after XP.

Thanks!

Edit: I noticed the case has a rebate, so I'm guessing it'd be best to get that right away as I don't think case technology will be changing much - correct?

There's also a combo deal for the RAM and Heatsink on new egg - is it worth getting those while the combo is on, or are those a frequent thing?
    Last edited by AberrantJ; 2014-04-15 at 05:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Build looks good. I have no idea what requirements OR dev requires, so I won't haggle on the 16gb of ram.

However, I would switch from the Samsung 840 Pro, to the Samsung 840 Evo. There's few benefits of the pro, and a significantly higher price tag.

I'd also swap out the PSU. It's a good PSU, but you can get one just as good, that suits your needs, for nearly (if not actually) half the price.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Build looks good. I have no idea what requirements OR dev requires, so I won't haggle on the 16gb of ram.

I'd also swap out the PSU. It's a good PSU, but you can get one just as good, that suits your needs, for nearly (if not actually) half the price.
    I figure if 8gb is the usually recommended amount, that I should probably double that as I'll need to be running the program plus the development environment/debugger at the same time. I might go with 8gb to start knowing that I can upgrade pretty effortlessly down the line.

Something more like the Seasonic M12II 620 - $90? Or even lower watts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, unless you plan on going SLI at some point... I'd probably recommend just this:
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)

If you wanted a modular one, either of these would do fine.

Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    OR
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.98 @ OutletPC)

Your system won't ever break like... 350w. Even if you stressed GPU and CPU to max (which never happens outside of stress testing both at once), it won't even break 450w.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab