Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #21
    As most people have already said, it depends on the average ilvl of your raid group. If you're around 575 it's more than enough to clear everything and clearing isn't going to net you a whole lot of upgrades.

    I think the way we did it was extend 1 week to kill Siegecrafter once we were close to the kill. Think we went in and it took 2-3 pulls in the new reset to get it down so we had a full reset straight onto Paragons. Again extended since we were close to a kill and came back in to kill it very early into the next reset and spent the rest on Garrosh. Did a clearance run to break it up a bit for everyone and try pick up a few pieces ready for Garrosh. Then extended constantly until it was dead 3 resets later. We raid 10.5 hours per week for comparison.

  2. #22
    Banned anaxie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    My Throne
    Posts
    6,487
    I hate extending raids. Not used in moderation it can destroy guilds.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I ask guilds now that raid sub below 16 hours a week now. What are you going to do in a 17 boss raid tier T17. When there are 4 seperate locks and the progression mode mythic offers 0 gear until u defeat an encounter? It's pretty obvious that the other modes HAVE to be cleared or double split clear Heroic because it's doubtful gear checks will be beaten in 5 man gear. Gotta soften up those brick walls. Esp with having 0 Tier set bonus's initially.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    My guild is extending to kill the last few bosses of Siege of Orgrimmar.

    Where do you stand on guilds using extend? What do you do if you still need gear off earlier bosses?
    Back when I was hardcore, we would only extend if we thought it would help get server first. And if the amount of gear worth getting, wasn't that worth getting. If it was a noticeable dps problem, we would run through. If it was we couldn't do the strat right, we would extend

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    I hate extending raids. Not used in moderation it can destroy guilds.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I ask guilds now that raid sub below 16 hours a week now. What are you going to do in a 17 boss raid tier T17. When there are 4 seperate locks and the progression mode mythic offers 0 gear until u defeat an encounter? It's pretty obvious that the other modes HAVE to be cleared or double split clear Heroic because it's doubtful gear checks will be beaten in 5 man gear. Gotta soften up those brick walls. Esp with having 0 Tier set bonus's initially.
    Remember MSV? That is how. Back in the day on huge raids there was a ramp up in difficulty. the first 3 were gear vendors. Then the next 3 were a bit harder. So on and so forth till you got to the hardest.

  4. #24
    My guild does not extend lockouts because people still need gear from other bosses. Extending lockouts to focus on killing a certain boss only leads to burnout IMO.

    <3 Kuragalolz for the signature and avatar

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Meillquei View Post
    My guild does not extend lockouts because people still need gear from other bosses. Extending lockouts to focus on killing a certain boss only leads to burnout IMO.
    Whereas resetting every week to kill immerseus is compelling gameplay right?

  6. #26
    Banned anaxie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    My Throne
    Posts
    6,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandapuncher View Post
    Back when I was hardcore, we would only extend if we thought it would help get server first. And if the amount of gear worth getting, wasn't that worth getting. If it was a noticeable dps problem, we would run through. If it was we couldn't do the strat right, we would extend

    - - - Updated - - -



    Remember MSV? That is how. Back in the day on huge raids there was a ramp up in difficulty. the first 3 were gear vendors. Then the next 3 were a bit harder. So on and so forth till you got to the hardest.
    It's not the same. You have to farmt he other modes for gear. Then Farm the real raid "mythic" THEN progress. The new lockout system is terrible

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Whereas resetting every week to kill immerseus is compelling gameplay right?
    Obtaining loot is yes. Assuming you play with people capable of having gains from said loot. I'm aware plenty of people do great dps in this game... If we were still 85 and in Dragon soul -_-

    - - - Updated - - -

    Remember MSV? That is how. Back in the day on huge raids there was a ramp up in difficulty. the first 3 were gear vendors. Then the next 3 were a bit harder. So on and so forth till you got to the hardest.[/QUOTE]

    Hey guess what. Not the case nowadays because it's not one mode

    You are expected to clear the lesser modes for loot to progress or split raid the higher tiered modes.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Back in the Day best is slots would be spread among T4 / T5 AND T6. This is not the case in modern WoW. except for a few exploitable items <rune>

  7. #27
    We extend and we make it 100% clear to people apping that it will happen and when it does don't be surprised. When we get onto the last few bosses (depending on the raid) we extend once we are at the ilvl we feel is required to kill the boss. This is purely because we cant afford to spend half our raid week clearing.

    This was the ilvls we aimed for:
    Sha: 500
    Lei Shen: 533 (The ilvl upgrades came out before we killed him so we killed him at 538)
    Garrosh: 572

    It's a little risky because we could come to a boss that we need more gear to kill but it's worked out very well for us and is probably a huge reason for our success.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    My guild is extending to kill the last few bosses of Siege of Orgrimmar.

    Where do you stand on guilds using extend? What do you do if you still need gear off earlier bosses?
    Probably will once we're deep in Heroics, but as of now it's way too easy to clear Normal.

  9. #29
    We raid 3.5h x 3, with the Sunday raid adding another hour. We just killed Garrosh 25HC last reset (yes late I know, we had some trouble with afks and ppl quitting...). We never extended for the first 13 bosses, but once we got to Garrosh everybody in our raid had most of the gear we needed. We cleared up to Garrosh one time after the reset we killed Klaxxi, after that we kept extending Garrosh until he was dead, which took 4 resets (had to restart p2 and p3 progress when our Monk tank that was kiting adds left due to IRL reasons).

    I am 100% sure that if we didn't extend, but went for the few gearpieces that were missing, we would still be 13/14. Using the whole wednesday raid + the beggining of the thursday raid to clear, just takes up way too much time, for very little gain.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

  10. #30
    We extend mostly if we have everyone on Tuesday. If not but several recruits are in we just make Tuesday a farm night. Fuck Malkorok and the pants he never drops.

  11. #31
    We raid 2.5 hours a night 3 nights a week, so we do occasionally extend the ID if we're close to a progression kill so we don't have to spend too much time getting back to it. This week we extended to work on H Spoils Tuesday knowing today and Sunday would likely be shot attendance wise due to Easter.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    We extend and we make it 100% clear to people apping that it will happen and when it does don't be surprised. When we get onto the last few bosses (depending on the raid) we extend once we are at the ilvl we feel is required to kill the boss. This is purely because we cant afford to spend half our raid week clearing.

    This was the ilvls we aimed for:
    Sha: 500
    Lei Shen: 533 (The ilvl upgrades came out before we killed him so we killed him at 538)
    Garrosh: 572

    It's a little risky because we could come to a boss that we need more gear to kill but it's worked out very well for us and is probably a huge reason for our success.
    Its worth noting that it hasn't always worked out perfectly. Garrosh in particular was almost a big problem. Our ilvl target for Garrosh may have been slightly too low and it caused a lot of issues meeting the p3 dps check consistently. You can argue that we had some comp related issues but really we didn't have the comp we killed it with online until the night we killed it. With slightly better gear we probably could have killed Garrosh a night or two earlier because we could have started to get consistent p3 pulls with a slightly weaker comp.
    Fierydemise
    The Horsemen-US 25 (25 man). 9 Hours per Week.
    Rogue Chat-Blogging about Rogue PvE and Theorycrafting (Twitter)

  13. #33
    Hell yeah we extend. As another 6 hour/week raider not extending essentially means no or minimal progression that week.

    Our raid is already at something like 574 average ilvl. It's wholly possible we go an entire farm clear with something like 0-3 upgrades for the entire raid - not worth a week of non progression.
    The only reason for not extending at this point is to give people a break from progression to avoid burnout.

    We're 11/14H. On average we extended once every three weeks, sometimes more. We're going to extend for the second straight week to try and get a Seigecrafter kill (best pull ~40%, first full night of progression)

    It helps that everyone in the guild is pretty much on the same page and knows that H Garrosh is the goal. Not full best in slot, or ranked parses on easy heroic bosses.

  14. #34
    Extending is a bad idea with Heroic Warforged around.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Farabee View Post
    Extending is a bad idea with Heroic Warforged around.
    I don't have words for how stupid your statement is.

    Unless your whole raid is heroic WF BiS then you shouldn't extend? Is that the implication to your trite one liner?

    There comes a time when you have enough gear to get the job done, its time on target that matters. If you raid for 6-9 hours a week you need to weigh up the benfits of a farm to those of extending a lockout. Please stop with the pants on head retarded oversimplifications.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by fierydemise View Post
    Its worth noting that it hasn't always worked out perfectly. Garrosh in particular was almost a big problem. Our ilvl target for Garrosh may have been slightly too low and it caused a lot of issues meeting the p3 dps check consistently. You can argue that we had some comp related issues but really we didn't have the comp we killed it with online until the night we killed it. With slightly better gear we probably could have killed Garrosh a night or two earlier because we could have started to get consistent p3 pulls with a slightly weaker comp.
    Yeah, 572 would probably be a little low for most guilds. Everyone in fully upgraded heroic gear would make your ilvl 574 (plus cloak ilvl). There would be a lot of usable WF upgrades on a farm clear.

    The issue is when you get to that 575-577 level. The value of farm goes down significantly, because then you're hoping that the specific gear you need drops AND that it's WF, as opposed to just hoping it's WF when you're 570-574. Of course, everyone needs different ilvls to down heroic bosses, but I think asking people to clear for some 5% chance that some useful gear for you drops starts to get a little ridiculous (which, again, depends on if your guild actually does need to hope for that extra gear to kill a boss).
    Last edited by Pennoyer; 2014-04-17 at 08:50 PM.

  17. #37
    I agree, extending for the hopes of getting WF BiS gear is not the most compelling reason to commit a raid night or more to killing bosses you've been farming for months, especially if you're 10 man. With that said, I think an appropriate place to begin extending is Thok and onwards. At that point, most of your raid should be ~575 which is more than enough to kill the remaining bosses. You'll benefit more from attempts and people learning the fights than from the slight chance of earlier bosses dropping something that someone can use.

    I also agree that it is important to switch it up between extending and doing a fresh clear from week to week. Some of the later bosses can take multiple raid weeks, and having your raid group doing one fight for a month likely won't be a crowd pleaser.

  18. #38
    High Overlord Azulor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    190
    For reference below:
    25man
    3h x 3 nights
    Raid average ilvl: 575-577 depending on attendance.
    2 Kills on Blackfuse,
    1 Kill on Paragons

    We've extended only once for Blackfuse, twice for paragons (8 raid nights with 1 week reset) and three times for Garrosh (9 raid nights). We've since reset twice these past 2 weeks due to a break, and attendance over Easter holiday. We're jumping back into a Garrosh save next week, no matter our kill count this week.

    Our major problem with Garrosh has been group consistency; it changes erratically each night.

  19. #39
    We are now on a break till Warlords but the last 4 weeks we extended the lockouts so we could have a shot at Blackfuse and Paragons. We got them both down which was great so I would say it was really worth it for us. We raided 3 nights a week.

  20. #40
    I think it just depends.

    My guild extended on Lei Shen for a while because it was getting close to 5.4, and we wanted him dead before that. They are now extending on Heroic Garrosh and have only killed Paragons once.

    I can see the need for it, but to keep doing it all the time can get very monotonous. But farm can be just as boring too, especially if people screw around and then we wipe on silly crap. I think there has to be some switching, just because of burnout (smashing your face against the same boss for weeks on end while doing only that can get very tiring very quickly).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •