Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    My guild is extending to kill the last few bosses of Siege of Orgrimmar.

Where do you stand on guilds using extend? What do you do if you still need gear off earlier bosses?
    we extended when we reached the 3 last bosses in ToT, to get them all down, but somehow we didn't need it in SoO.
    We only raid a few hours pr week so the long raids gives a rather limited time to progress on a new boss, which often limits the progress. It's a bad idea in the beginning unless you're good enough to clear it all so you can go HC next week, since you miss out on the gear.
    Later on extending is fine though. A bit of gear shouldn't change it since it's out geared already. More about getting mechanics right.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Deleted
    We've been extending for the past 4-6 or so weeks, with a 25-man lockout in between to test the waters with the guild we're planning to raid with come WoD. Our RL was worried we wouldn't be able to down Siegecrafter again fast on a new lockout, so we extended. An evening of hapless wiping totally wasn't because of multiple offspecs and a player on our roster that we haven't ever taken on any of our first kills. *cough* We also accidentally extended the lockout again, so for now we're stuck on Garrosh progression.

But with mythic mode coming up, we are pretty much switching to only do a 25-man farm run every three weeks and do nonstop 10-man progression until we kill Garrosh (both our guilds are 13/14H).

We extend once we're at the endboss with the gear to kill it. No reason to extend before that.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Except if you're playing legion xd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyoken View Post
    The day I die I want the shaman class developers to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.......

Quote Originally Posted by Pennoyer View Post
    Yeah, 572 would probably be a little low for most guilds. Everyone in fully upgraded heroic gear would make your ilvl 574 (plus cloak ilvl). There would be a lot of usable WF upgrades on a farm clear.
    The tricky question with ilvl 572 on garrosh is that it isn't totally clear if the extra clear is worth it. As it stood we killed Garrosh within 2 lockouts of paragons, spending 1 day (more likely 1.5 days) on farm out of the total of the 6 raid days we spent on Garrosh is really borderline. I figure an extra clear worth of gear is worth between 1 and 2 days so saving 1-2 days by spending 1-1.5 days are farm isn't a clear trade.
    Fierydemise-ShaowCraft Engine Guy
    Rogue Chat-Blogging about Rogue PvE and Theorycrafting (Twitter)
    Rogue IRC: #Ravenholdt on Quakenet

Quote Originally Posted by fierydemise View Post
    The tricky question with ilvl 572 on garrosh is that it isn't totally clear if the extra clear is worth it. As it stood we killed Garrosh within 2 lockouts of paragons, spending 1 day (more likely 1.5 days) on farm out of the total of the 6 raid days we spent on Garrosh is really borderline. I figure an extra clear worth of gear is worth between 1 and 2 days so saving 1-2 days by spending 1-1.5 days are farm isn't a clear trade.
    Most of our wipes were to the P3 DPS check and the only difference between our first attempt and our kill was more familiarity and a better comp.

I think our comp was the biggest reason for our P3 DPS struggles. We made that change then started making the DPS check 90% of the time until we killed it. I doubt the extra gear would have effected it as much as you are thinking but there really is no way to know forsure.

How did the better comp do it then? More DPS I'm guessing.

At least in 10 mans, and at least for groups that raid 9 hours or less, an outside chance at an upgrade or two isn't worth several hours of progression.
    Especially if you're already around 573-577 ilvl. You already have 10-15 more ilvls more than the first guilds did. Character optimization and familiarity with the fights obtained by just putting more pulls into it will be far more beneficial than maybe one upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Vedni View Post
    Especially if you're already around 573-577 ilvl. You already have 10-15 more ilvls more than the first guilds did. Character optimization and familiarity with the fights obtained by just putting more pulls into it will be far more beneficial than maybe one upgrade.
    Not sure why there is this conception that people downed Garrosh in ToT Gear. Paragon were around 567 when they downed it.

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    we don't since we sell boosts on 12/14hc . and it still takes a few tries to kill paragons everytime and we are stuck at garrosh

10+ Year Old Account
    10 man 5-6h/week, 9/14 heroic SoO

We extend.

Hi koko.
    Currently Procrastinating

Yep. We extended on Blackfuse, Paragons, and Garrosh specifically. If we added a fourth day we probably wouldnt. If sheer throughput was the issue I'm sure we'd farm gear, but 90% of the time it was just a combination of poor play and learning the fight.

Deleted
    depending how far in progression we have made a lot of use of extending.

the first couple of bosses ain't worth it, but when coming near the end. blackfuse/paragons/Garrosh.
    then extending becomes are very usefull option since those encounters took quite some tries too learn. unless everyone in the guild is fine with adding lots of extra raid days (or if your guild has a lot of them already. think 5-6) then extending isn't needed. however guilds who run 2-4 raid nights, might want too consider extending so they do not atleast lose 1 day too clearing up the place every time. unless gear is really an issue, but it shouldnt be at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorm View Post
    Not sure why there is this conception that people downed Garrosh in ToT Gear. Paragon were around 567 when they downed it.
    563 is tot gear now?

Quote Originally Posted by Vedni View Post
    563 is tot gear now?
    Still an exaggeration. They were out performing people while in lower level gear due to their skill so it was still actually easier for them.

My guild raids 2 days a week with 4 hours per day. We usually have to extend in order to kill the last bosses fast enough. We started extending at siegecrafter this tier I believe.

We extended at the very end of T15 to kill H Lei Shen and Ra-Den before SoO dropped (killed it the last sunday before it dropped) and I feel like that was fine (new tier would invalidate all gear anyway). One thing we identified as a mistake in our progression this tier is when we started extending our lockout to kill Paragons and then continued to extend our lockout to try and kill Garrosh even after we had several roster switch ups and people quitting. Now we're still wiping to garrosh but we've got much better gear so the little time we have (somehow we end up only getting an hour of progression on him before something happens) made some form of progression but its not continuous.

We'll probably extend (if it gets to that point) if everyone is full heroic and not a single non WF upgrade is to be found (yay 10 man). Extending constantly is a great way to cause player burnout though...but after over 2 months of being stuck on garrosh this is really sucking lol.
    Every time you say "Brewmasters need to stay at 40-60% to be optimal" your favorite deity kills 10 kittens. Here is how it actually works from the Sparkle Dragon's mouth
    Play Monster Hunter? Here's my FC: 1779-0791-2717

Thanks Shyama for the awesome Signature

We plan on extending right after killing paragons HC to Kill Garrosh asap. After farming 11/14H almost for several months and siegecrafter dropping a lot of gear in last 4 resets I really dont hink that few extra pieces from paragon will make ultimate difference. Raid ilvl Average is 578 according to WoWprogress so well above requirement for 14/14H clear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very interesting seeing all the different guilds opinions and views on the extend.

Quote Originally Posted by Narna View Post
    Hi koko.
    Hai
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    depends on how much your guild authorities want to outgear content rather than just 'play through the pain' so to speak.

i prefer bashing my head against the wall rather than killing easier bosses.

Honestly I really don't like extending. Farm content helps speed up your clears, gets you used to working with each other and working with any new recruits, and also helps fill the small gaps in people's gear. If everyone can improve their ilvl by 1 point each week, that's an improvement in the guild of at least 10 ilvls which has a marked difference between killing Nazgrim before he can get an extra wave of adds out, or killing Blackfuse before the next belt, etc. Once you get farm content down to a quick, one night clear and you start working on Paragons, I'd say it's fine to extend. Not much additional gear drops past the point and your guild should be pretty well-geared by then.

The reason I don't like extending is because the excuse is often used that "wiping on farm wastes time." In my honest opinion, if you're wiping on farm, you're having major problems in other parts of your raid and need to get those fixed before you'll even have a shot at downing Paragons and Garrosh.