Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    Wait.. what's a tobacco tax?
    Exactly what it sounds like. An extra tax levied on tobacco products.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    It's kind of odd when you think about it, since we have taxes to increase the cost of tobacco to discourage it's use while at the same time we have tobacco subsides to keep the price low.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

It's not really so much a "tobacco" tax as it is a cigarette tax. Pipe tobacco, you pay sales tax on. That's why RYO is becoming so popular now.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I look at my gross vs net on every check. It's pretty ridiculous. Comes with the territory, I suppose, but still. It's more in tax than a good chunk of people make in an entire year. Pretty crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    It's kind of odd when you think about it, since we have taxes to increase the cost of tobacco to discourage it's use while at the same time we have tobacco subsides to keep the price low.
    Most people don't even know who makes the most money on the sale of a pack of cigarettes or a gallon of gasoline. Hint: it isn't the company who made or sold the product.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes I think America needs to take one of their states (let's say... Mississippi) quarantine it off from the rest of the country - and then declare it "Little Somalia".

We can name it Paradise. It can be a tax-free zone where free trade and the will of the market determine the value of all goods and services. Entrepreneurs are free from government regulation or oversight to do business as they please, and everyone can have guns - lots of guns.

This way, whenever the far right starts barking about how great the world would be if only there was no government - they can go sign up to spend a month inside the 'Paradise' quarantine zone.

There's nothing like seeing what an absence of government buys you like going to a place where there is no functional (or a small) government.

I fully understand the concern about money in politics (and share that concern), or that far too much money gets spent ineffectively. America spends 70% more than the next biggest spender on healthcare per capita, Norway, yet ranks 37th in the world in terms of quality of coverage. Every country above the US uses some variant of single-payer, probably not a coincidence.

Making the government run more efficiently - while maintaining or increasing effectiveness - is a great idea everyone can get behind. The idea that if you just remove government everything would be great though... there are plenty of examples of such places in history - and around the world - and I'd hate to live in any of them.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitkanen View Post
    The fact that employers aren't required to contribute doesn't bother me that much. We have a mandatory contribution system called SS. If we want to increase employer contribution the nob is there, rather than new mandates.
    There are penalties for early withdrawal from a 401k that require Proof of Hardship to dodge, I'm ok with that.

At the end of the day, the issue with a 401k is that the people with the lowest after-retirement SS revenue are the one's least able to contribute to their 401k, and least likely to have employer contribution.
    The penalties for withdrawing from 401k are not nearly severe enough to constitute a real deterrent to touching the money, especially in "emergency situations".

Ideally, 401k should resemble the Australian superannuation system which has proven extremely successful and has resulted in Australia having one of the most self sustaining retirement programs alongside its pension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Ah ok, I thought it's something non-smokers were paying as well..
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

I know how much I pay in taxes. I pay far too much for what I get back, because of all the corporate tax breaks and how the government and our society encourages large employers to not pay their employees a living wage, which means I have to help cover the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khoranth View Post
    But I do understand credit cards, they are optional here in the USA, if you do not like a companies policies, do not use their product.
    Once again that's not the point though. The meat of the matter is that Delaware's potential success stems from dubious business practices which you are unwilling to recognize - instead you choose to promote them and urge other states and countries to follow the suit.

Also, when it comes to Delaware's alleged profiting from all the companies it should be noted that given the staggering amount of corporate entities in the state - more companies than people - the streets of Delaware should probably be paved with gold.