Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Average Player, Average Cards, and then Ragnaros!

I play Hearthstone for simple fun. I like the interaction between the cards and the quick mental calculations you have to make to get best use of the cards and their interactions. So I play a variety of decks, some fairly weak but fun. I have a deck for every class and play them all. I like my rating to hover around 18 - 20 because I get the greatest variety of opponents and see interesting play.

That being said I've noticed an odd thing lately. I'll be playing a very average opponent with a very average deck, feels like a guy who recently got into the game or who didn't spend much of any money. And then out pops Ragnaros. This happens over and over, sometimes 2 or 3 times out of 5 or 6 plays against decidedly average players. Rarely do these players play any other legendary at all.

It's as if tons of average players somehow have picked up on the notion that a new player should dust most of his cards and craft a Ragnaros as quickly as possible. It's a very odd way to approach the game. But sadly it does tend to work. Late game with average players and weak cards Ragnaros will often serve as an "I win" button.

Wondering if anybody else has seen this pattern recently with average player, average cards, average gameplay and then, Ragnaros!!?

I don't know about average players or any of that, but even in high rank(rank 5)I see decks that just have legendaries thrown in with no thought behind them. I played a Warlock rush deck that was like half murloc, half zoo, that also had Cairne Bloodhoof. I was like uhh....okay. But I'll take the easy W.

Seems like a lot of people just like to throw legendary cards into any deck they have as soon as they get them because OMG LEGENDARY.

I'm not sure what problem you have with newer players disenchanting cards they won't use in order to craft a really good card they will use. Sounds to me that you're just angry you will have to work harder for your "easy wins"

Quote Originally Posted by Neos300 View Post
    I'm not sure what problem you have with newer players disenchanting cards they won't use in order to craft a really good card they will use. Sounds to me that you're just angry you will have to work harder for your "easy wins"
    Did you even read my post with any tiny attempt at comprehension?

I play very casually and am happy to lose as many as I win. I don't play to gain rank. I play constantly changing fun decks of all classes.

The question was about the recent pattern of average players seeming to have Ragnaros and only Ragnaros when they don't seem to have any other legendaries and hardly any epics.

And, no, I think it's foolish for a new casual player to dust massive number of cards to buy one big powerful card. He's better off keeping a full set of basic cards to try a variety of decks.

Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    I don't know about average players or any of that, but even in high rank(rank 5)I see decks that just have legendaries thrown in with no thought behind them. I played a Warlock rush deck that was like half murloc, half zoo, that also had Cairne Bloodhoof. I was like uhh....okay. But I'll take the easy W.

Seems like a lot of people just like to throw legendary cards into any deck they have as soon as they get them because OMG LEGENDARY.
    Well with Rag you can really do that. His power and presence requires an immediate response from the opponent which can completely turn games around. My murlock agro has rag in it and I'm legend rank. Hearthstone is all about value and Rag always gets it except against polys (lol mage) and hex.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Binko View Post

I play very casually and am happy to lose as many as I win. I don't play to gain rank. I play constantly changing fun decks of all classes.

The question was about the recent pattern of average players seeming to have Ragnaros and only Ragnaros when they don't seem to have any other legendaries and hardly any epics.

And, no, I think it's foolish for a new casual player to dust massive number of cards to buy one big powerful card. He's better off keeping a full set of basic cards to try a variety of decks.
    A lot of cards just flat out suck so you can totally disenchant them and save up for a Rag. He's easily one of the first ones you should craft.

Well with Rag you can really do that. His power and presence requires an immediate response from the opponent which can completely turn games around. My murlock agro has rag in it and I'm legend rank. Hearthstone is all about value and Rag always gets it except against polys (lol mage) and hex.
    Thing is ... I don't think Rag is actually in any of the latest iterations of top decks. Literally, none, not even control warriors. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a bad card, but it's actually quite unfavored in the current meta.

Unfortunately, it looks like an amazing card, especially to newer and less experienced players. They see a renewable source of damage that doesn't even get hurt while attacking and it's like woah! So oftentimes, it's the first suggested legendary to craft. On top of people thinking legendaries and epics are better than basic/common/rare, they are also under the mistaken impression that crafting legendaries only and just waiting on packs for common/rares gets you to a full set of cards sooner (it's actually slower.)

So, yeah, due to widespread ignorance and misinformation, Rag is one of the most often crafted legendaries.

Tirion beats them all

*summon tirion, place down redemption #1

watch them try to kill him then he comes back

place redemption #2 down watch again or heal him then watch then win after words after knowing the opponent just face desked fighting tirion 3 times

and he gets bubbles and i get ashbringer so i always win if i get these cards place right *assume he is anot a gay ass OP priest with Mind control or shadow word death

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    Tirion beats them all

place redemption #2 down watch again or heal him then watch then win after words after knowing the opponent just face desked fighting tirion 3 times

and he gets bubbles and i get ashbringer so i always win if i get these cards place right *assume he is anot a gay ass OP priest with Mind control or shadow word death
    Hex/Poly/Sylvanas/Silence/Kill the Paladin until turn 8

Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    Tirion beats them all

Tirion... is that the 0/1 frog with taunt that paladins keep playing against my shaman?
    Is this where the header goes?

i play casually and i've gotten legendaries. i have enough to craft certain cards if i truly wanted.

it's not strange that lots of players have rag or <insert card you hate here>

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcbert View Post
    Tirion... is that the 0/1 frog with taunt that paladins keep playing against my shaman?
    The *8 mana* 0/1 frog =D

Between two hexes, two ES and a Spellbreaker, it's always nice when a pally plays a Tirion against me. I do love it when they flat out waste a late-game turn.

Tirion-Redemption seems like a good idea, until you ressurect the frog he turned into or the 1/1 token I purposefully killed after silencing off his DS/Taunt/battlecry.
    Last edited by Nikkaszal; 2014-04-17 at 04:28 AM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Three words: Big Game Hunter.

He's my Anti-Bullsh...er...I mean Anti-Ragnoros card.

Even better against Deathwing.

The one and only card for whom I'll break my class themed decks.
    Last edited by De Lupe; 2014-04-17 at 04:22 AM.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Three words: Big Game Hunter.

He's my Anti-Bullsh...er...I mean Anti-Ragnoros card.

Even better against Deathwing.

The one and only card for whom I'll break my class themed decks.
    I put him in my "marksman" deck with only traps/weapons and dwarf rifleman type cards, works out nicely

Deleted
    Rag is a bit silly I agree, but that's exactly why these people craft him to begin with. Hard to stop that unless Blizzard suddenly decides to actually balance their game properly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Castozor View Post
    Rag is a bit silly I agree, but that's exactly why these people craft him to begin with. Hard to stop that unless Blizzard suddenly decides to actually balance their game properly.
    Rag is only tough to deal with if you've already lost board control or if it's super late where you're just flipping cards off the top of your deck (but in that case even a mid common like a Yeti becomes dangerous.

Other times he's removed right away, with the chance of him shooting an inconsequential minion (or to face if what you really need is to kill a minion threat), or you flood the board with weenies until you can deal with it. 8 mana is not very well spent if all it does is kill a totem.

Well, he is nearly always two-for-one no matter how you look at it, or one-for-one + fireballast to the face. Likewise Ysera, but she is slower when Rag 'pays' for itseft at end turn already.

Deleted

How is that a surprise? If you're new and you have a legendary, it's not likely you're going to have multiple legendaries or epics, since you either got lucky and got the leg in an arena, or dusted things to craft it - in which case you wouldn't have a lot spare to throw around on other things.

As far as legendary cards go, I don't think it's a surprise to see Rag as one of the first ones a lot of casual players craft - he's pretty solid due to an instant effect and he's more flashy than Cairn, so if you're playing for fun he's pretty solid.

I keep 2 of everything I get and only dust extras, but I wouldn't blame anyone for disenchanting a load of the complete garbage cards like secret keepers / farsight etc for a good card.

If they're playing for fun, I'd argue crafting a fun card like Rag is more use than a load of murlocs and farseers.

I got Sylvanas from one of my first arena runs, just live and let live - it's be pretty boring if average players with average decks never had anything to spice it up with.

Rag is just awesome, so people will want him around a lot. Seen him a lot recently too, yesterday being one such time where he was lucky enough to hit me three times in a row, rather than my minions. When I finally got Equality and was 1 turn away from winning the bugger pulled out Leeroy, and if my Knife Juggler had just hit Leeroy both times (the Whelps cause the Knife Juggler effect) then all would've been good.

But it was a fun match either way. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Rag is only tough to deal with if you've already lost board control or if it's super late where you're just flipping cards off the top of your deck (but in that case even a mid common like a Yeti becomes dangerous.

Other times he's removed right away, with the chance of him shooting an inconsequential minion (or to face if what you really need is to kill a minion threat), or you flood the board with weenies until you can deal with it. 8 mana is not very well spent if all it does is kill a totem.
    He's a bit random in his sucess, yes. But he is still a bit too powerful compared to regular cards or even most other legendaries. Make his effect a start of turn effect and all would be well. I disagree also that he's only though to deal with if you have already lost boardcontrol, if you are about equal/slightly ahead and he pulls out a Rag when you have no removal around you are toast. He's easily a 2-for-1 a lot of the time and at times a 3-for-1.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Castozor View Post
    He's a bit random in his sucess, yes. But he is still a bit too powerful compared to regular cards or even most other legendaries. Make his effect a start of turn effect and all would be well. I disagree also that he's only though to deal with if you have already lost boardcontrol, if you are about equal/slightly ahead and he pulls out a Rag when you have no removal around you are toast. He's easily a 2-for-1 a lot of the time and at times a 3-for-1.
    Which is why you don't waste hard removal on smaller things =) By the time he's played you've had a fair amount of draw and on average you should have seen at least one of your removals.

Or carry a BGH specifically for monster threats.