Strange internet connection problem

Some background info: Recently upgraded to windows 8.1 a few days ago, I am posting this through my phone, and I've lived in my college dorm for a few months with no internet problems before.

Today I booted up my computer like normal to discover I have no internet on my 3 web browsers. Except skype works just fine and I can connect and play with other people on tf2 like normal. I think the problem lies in my firewall but I've tried turning it off and on in addition to rebooting my computer and all that jazz.

Any idea how I could fix this problem? I'm also sorry if internet problem threads aren't allowed here.

can you ping google?

I don't believe so

How to ping.

Open up cmd press Windows button and search for cmd. Right click and open as administrator. When in cmd type ping www.Google.com

Take a screen shot and post it here.

Ping request could not find host www.google.com. Please check the name and try again.

Other than that I can't take a screenshot.

Try to Ping 74.125.224.72 (One of Google IP range. If you put that into a browser it will go to google.)

IF the Ping works, try sticking that into your browser. if you pull up google, ut still cant pull up google by typing in www.google.com, you could have a DNS problem. In which case you can just use googles DNS server

1) Click on Start --> In search box, type cmd --> Then "CMD" will be displayed in

the search --> Now right-click on "CMD" ---> Select "Run as administrator".

2) Now enter this command

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Press "Enter".

3) Reboot your computer

Sorry pwellzor but that didn't work. Blindman however I think you are onto to something I was able to get a google page open that could perform searchs but those last addresses don't seem to work

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Some background info: Recently upgraded to windows 8.1 a few days ago, I am posting this through my phone, and I've lived in my college dorm for a few months with no internet problems before.

Today I booted up my computer like normal to discover I have no internet on my 3 web browsers. Except skype works just fine and I can connect and play with other people on tf2 like normal. I think the problem lies in my firewall but I've tried turning it off and on in addition to rebooting my computer and all that jazz.

Any idea how I could fix this problem? I'm also sorry if internet problem threads aren't allowed here.
    Delete your cookies and clear your history on all three browsers and then restart you comp and try to load them up.

Sorry pwellzor but that didn't work. Blindman however I think you are onto to something I was able to get a google page open that could perform searchs but those last addresses don't seem to work
    If you tried to use those last addresses in your browser (8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4), they won't work because those are Google's DNS servers. However, if the other pulls up Google search (74.125.224.72) and typing www.google.com won't, then it sounds like your isssue is with DNS. I'm out of time so I can't explain or help further. Sorry.

in your cmd line type "ipconfig /all" and tell us what the ipv4 address is. So we can make sure you are pulling an ip address

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    in your cmd line type "ipconfig /all" and tell us what the ipv4 address is. So we can make sure you are pulling an ip address
    OP is able use Skype and TF2 so sounds like the connection is there.

Is there an IT support number you can call for your school? Ask them if they changed something.

Also one thing that works for me sometimes is to delete the network adapter in Device Manager, and let Windows reinstall it. Odd fix, but it works.

Well a few day later and I am still having this same problem and it seems like no one has heard of this specific problem before. I still think it's a DNS problem but I've tried a ton of fixes related to that, many in command promt, now I wonder if I am making my computer worse.

Everyone else on my college's internet is working just fine, I even took it into our IT center for help and they couldn't find out with it is.

Does anyone think this could be a driver problem? If so, where can I go to download a driver onto a USB for my computer?

Well a few day later and I am still having this same problem and it seems like no one has heard of this specific problem before. I still think it's a DNS problem but I've tried a ton of fixes related to that, many in command promt, now I wonder if I am making my computer worse.

Everyone else on my college's internet is working just fine, I even took it into our IT center for help and they couldn't find out with it is.

Does anyone think this could be a driver problem? If so, where can I go to download a driver onto a USB for my computer?

Just a quickl dummy suggestion, but i have heard of certain programs still being usable if your link speed is set wrong. make sure thats right.

I'm confused what you are referring to by link speed. I also didn't change any settings between the period of when my internet did work and the period it didn't besides a shut down for a Microsoft update.