Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flam View Post
    And I was, I just didn't care for his reasoning ..."pull over so I can go faster".
    Why do you assume that was his reasoning for pulling you over?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    i got a 200 dollar ticket for going 6 mph over the limit at 6:30am going to work where there was NO ONE on the road...
    It's almost like your were speeding.

And I was, I just didn't care for his reasoning ..."pull over so I can go faster".
    Like I said, it's more, "pull over and use the right (pun) lane so I do not have to take illegal options to go about my business".

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a pro tip, its called context.

Speeding in the context of deserted road, or just you and the cop, will get you a ticket.

Speeding in the context of traffic, with lots of people also going 4mph over, means you're largely ignored.

The smarter you are, the better you are at making sense of context.

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Eh, increasing the speed limit by 5 doesn't mean the equipment suddenly becomes flawless. Atleast, I assume that's the regulation over there aswell.
    Danish police go by equipment flaw to measure a +1.86 mph(3 km/h). I'm sure you American police don't have that bad equipment that it can't measure as accurately as the Danish.
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

So on the way home the other day, I was pulled over for 'sitting' in the left hand lane (fast lane) and for 'speeding'. The Sheriff did say that this was just a warning but also added that 'it was frustrating that you sat in the left lane and didn't merge into the 'slow' lane. Now... there was zero traffic on the freeway when he was behind me, normally most peoples reaction so it get out of their way ASAP, but for some reason I just wanted to see what happened if I didn't. I got my answer... but it got me thinking.

I wanted to be a smart ass and ask him 'If I was speeding, and you wanted me to move over, wouldn't that mean you would be exceeding the speed limit as welll'? But, after paying Uncle Sam, and buying a new phone, and paying rent... I held my tongue and got out of there not having to pay $200+ traffic school fees.

I seriously doubt if he DID give me a ticket that it would of stick or not, probably could of gotten it thrown out, but still... even tho it was just a warning, was he a dick for pulling me over?
    Maybe you shouldn't speed? 4mph over is still over. And the road is a dangerous place. While I doubt 4 miles per hour would put you at any real great risk, it still COULD, and when you're gambling with your life, and the lives of others on the road, why would you exercise anything less than 100% complete caution and respect for the road's rules?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooperz View Post
    Like I said, it's more, "pull over and use the right (pun) lane so I do not have to take illegal options to go about my business".
    Passing on the right is also illegal....he was willing to exceeded the speed limit beyond what I was doing already, so why not just pass on the right? lol I just didn't care for his reasoning... gratful it was only a warning but still... if he left out the 'frustrating' part Id probably be more accepting of his reasoning of 'watch your speed and don't sit in the left lane'

He did ask for my license, asked if I had ever been arrested (nope) looked at the license, went on his marry way.

Ah, it seems that I am wrong about the 5 MPH thing. Honestly, I'm pretty sure I learned something like this in my DMV handbook over 10 years ago. I did some research below.

Source: http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/30000/30100/30132/810826.pdf

Searching through the document above, these common two fine systems seem to occur:

Deleted
    Passing on the right is also illegal....he was willing to exceeded the speed limit beyond what I was doing already, so why not just pass on the right? lol I just didn't care for his reasoning... gratful it was only a warning but still... if he left out the 'frustrating' part Id probably be more accepting of his reasoning of 'watch your speed and don't sit in the left lane'

He did ask for my license, asked if I had ever been arrested (nope) looked at the license, went on his marry way.
    You're sounding way too entitled here mate, that's why so many of us find issue with it.

....that's literally what I said. Why are you forcing others to enact illegal measures just because you are? THAT'S a crap mind set, is what I also said. He's making sure you're not forcing others to make bad options just because you made one yourself. I agree, getting pulled over sucks for anything, even fi you're knowingly in the wrong and just got caught, but put yourself in their shoes and their job, and stop fearing the boys in blue.

Deleted
    [QUOTE=Kanegasi;26510248]Snip/QUOTE]

Fair play, few people here admit to being wrong :P

Here in Belgium it's around 10% error margin, but that also means that if you get a fine for doing 54km/h where you are allowed to do 50 km/h that you were doing 60km/h but the difference is already deducted.

Quote Originally Posted by DPA View Post
    Danish police go by equipment flaw to measure a +1.86 mph(3 km/h). I'm sure you American police don't have that bad equipment that it can't measure as accurately as the Danish.
    Everyone still seems to be arguing with you despite what you have said. You are correct. You are allowed +10% but can argue an additional ~1% for officer radar errors. That gives the OP at least ~7mph.

It's really more of a safety concern. Not letting the person behind you pass you on a two lane road is a huge safety hazard for you, the driver behind you, and any other drivers/pedestrians nearby, even if that driver is speeding. Having one lane always being clear is much safer for everyone on the road, especially when emergency personnel need to get somewhere quickly.

If I show up to contest, and he does not, it's automatically thrown out. Either way... giving someone a ticket for going over 4MPH over is just retarded. To clarify, I showed nothing but respect to the officer and even pulled OFF the freeway for his safety. (seen one too many near misses of officers being mowed down on the net)
    you admit you broke the law (4 mph over is still over) and you're upset you got pulled over wow self-entitled much?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DPA View Post
    It has nothing to do with equipment. It has more to do with how US traffic laws are written and the opportunity costs of enforcing traffic laws.
    Basically in the US speeding fines are progressive in relation to your speed over the posted limit.
    The fines for going 1-9mph over the limit are marginally low. They barely cover the officer's time for writing you up. Unless that officer has no other ticket opportunities (ie late at night, deserted road).

Traffic enforcement wait for bigger speeders because it means more money. Or their other favorite tactic... waiting. They'll follow you for a few miles, racking up all the minor infractions you commit, adding up to an over all larger fine. There are almost hundreds of minor traffic laws most lay people are not even aware of.

So if a cop is on your ass, its in your best interest to get him off of said ass. Move to the right... slow down etc..

So you admit to breaking two laws? Deal with the consequences. He let you off with a warning.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    you admit you broke the law (4 mph over is still over) and you're upset you got pulled over wow self-entitled much?
    Self-entitled? lol not even... it was his explanation I have issue with, nothing else.

I also find it very amusing that probably everyone here is also guilty of going over the speed limit, at some point and probably more then 4MPH.

Deleted
    Self-entitled? lol not even... it was his explanation I have issue with, nothing else.

I also find it very amusing that probably everyone here is also guilty of going over the speed limit, at some point and probably more then 4MPH.
    You're really not helping your case here.

This much whining over a warning? The few times that I've gotten warnings I've driven away thinking positive thoughts about the officer who graciously let me off without a ticket.