Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hellboyy View Post
    arrakoa is an a inspiration/rip-off from the bird people in the movie dark crystal.

That was the first incarnation of the Aarakoa in Burning Crusade. And even then, it was just the physical design. Their culture is FAAAR from that of the Skeksis.

Clearly these Aarakoa are having a whole different form of inspiration back them up in this expansion. The focus around Chakra is really all you need, nevermind the rest...

Also, in before an NPC Spirit Elekk named "Gadesh'ra" or something similar. :P

Deleted
    Well that explains why their zone literally looks like India, even Sri Lanka is represented as an island south of it.

For the most part, names aren't really much to go on. They might even be placeholder, for all we know. Other than those few names there's no real indication as to what they're based off of, aside from The Dark Crystal movie and a few various other speculated medium.
    Check out my expansion concept, World of Warcraft: Whispers of Madness
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Brittle Bones now has a 50% chance to turn the target into a purple-wearing supervillain.

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    DO not forget what they praise!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellboyy View Post
    arrakoa is an a inspiration/rip-off from the bird people in the movie dark crystal.
    D&D had bird people before this movie.

Movie came out in 1982, D&D had them in 1981.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...A%29#Aarakocra

The Arakkoa are based on more than just this goofy movie.

@the OP: I really hope they do make them playable too. GW2 have the Kenku, but I think I'd prefer WoW do a bird race (playable) first.
    Last edited by Blufossa; 2014-04-18 at 02:59 AM.

Blackwing Heroine BlackwingHecate's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Blue Bear View Post
    D&D had bird people before this movie.

Movie came out in 1982, D&D had them in 1981.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...A%29#Aarakocra

The Arakkoa are based on more than just this goofy movie.

@the OP: I really hope they do make them playable too. GW2 have the Kenku, but I think I'd prefer WoW do a bird race (playable) first.
    Last I checked, you could not (alas) Play as a Tengu in GW2.
    Nostalgia is the hollow remnants of memories long gone.

-Kaito Kumon (Kamen Rider Baron)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    nope, i did too xD

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly would have related them to more middle eastern, muslim culture. Think the whole Hindu/Indian culture could be used in a more cool way, that isn't crazy bird people trying to summon gods of mass destruction. Maybe another skinny, multi armed blue race people from another world.
    If you talk about a difference of Middle East (Muslim culture) and India / Hindu, it becomes a little trick. Persian and Hindu culture are both heavily influenced by the Vedic / Pre-Vedic civilization. It is nicely seen in the similarity of Persian and Indian architecture, traditional music as well as the language (there is a lot of similarity between Persian, Arabic and Sanskrit). And that is also where the Muslim culture intermixed since the Arabs have a history with the Persians.
    There might be different religious believes by now, but their common origin is undeniable the same: Vedic civilization.

So iam looking at the boss name and ability's and they all have references to ancient indian history and indian mythology (the Mahabharata etc) and words from Sanskrit (ancient indian language, Latin would be a directly comparable reference for it).

I for one think its about time we got more ancient cultures into the mix.

Ancient india had MASSIVe trading going on during that part of the world. a lot of other cultures languages rubbed off on India (and back).

Especially Persia, Persia has had MASSIVe influence on ancient indian culture. The Moguls were persian in origin and were rulers who owned big swaths of india for AGES until the british came along . They're considered part and parcel of india.

So yeah, all this talk about things being more "persian" is quite irrelevant if you're trying to say its not ancient indian.

"Rukhsha" sounds like rakhsha, which means "to protect".

Also, the names are as likely to be placeholder about as much as the names of the Warlords (Grom is actually Snuggy Snow Puff in the final release btw). They're way too specific, unique and tie in with other stuff in the abilities etc.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2014-04-18 at 12:35 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaani View Post
    There might be different religious believes by now, but their common origin is undeniable the same: Vedic civilization.
    Iranians and Indians don't look the same at all, you can easily tell them apart. Indians are far more dark-skinned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Go dammit blizzard, make it playable. I want a toon with an awesome accent and awesomer customabilty and the awesomely civ ever existed.
    ill trade pandas for these and jiynu

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Iranians and Indians don't look the same at all, you can easily tell them apart. Indians are far more dark-skinned.
    Not true. Indians come in almost every color except for pale white skin. You'll see people with dark brown skin and then you see some fair skinned which look pretty close to Iranians, Egyptions and even spaniards.

I really hope they make some great looking Indian themed armor and weapons.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Wait a minute... gale force wind with chakra? Playable Arakkoa with monk class confirmed.

Deleted
    Pffft, we sunwalkers praised the sun before it was cool.

Arakkoa would make me role an alliance so hard.
    Warrior, Paladin (sun worshipper), hunter, mage, monk, priest

Not sure about warlock with the whole nobility thing, not sure about shamans, druids wouldnt be right would they? Apart from raven flight form.

Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    Isn't Hindu-ish stuff already implied slightly with the Draenei?
    Oddly the art kind of does in a way, and also the elephant type mounts they use, but the whole worshipping the light is nothing like Hinduism.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Oddly the art kind of does in a way, and also the elephant type mounts they use, but the whole worshipping the light is nothing like Hinduism.
    And Sun-Worship is?

Anyhow, the Light really is an odd sort of thing. Some people in Warcraft seem to treat it as if it's a God or something to be worshiped and paid tribute to, but that's not what it actually is at all.

It's not a power that comes from outside from some deity, but one that originates from oneself and their connection to the universe.
    Last edited by KrakHed; 2014-04-18 at 04:21 PM.

And Sun-Worship is?

Anyhow, the Light really is an odd sort of thing. Some people in Warcraft seem to treat it as if it's a God or something to be worshiped and paid tribute to, but that's not what it actually is at all.

It's not a power that comes from outside from some deity, but one that originates from oneself and their connection to the universe.
    Idk. If that's the case then I guess there is maybe a connection, but I'd need a link where you got this connection to the universe info from. Also Paladins which are synonymous with the Draenei resemble holy warriors, crusaders. Which is obviously more Christian related. It might just be a mish-mash and not technically resemble one more than the other. Though to me they seem more like zealots.
    Last edited by Stonecloak; 2014-04-18 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Idk. If that's the case then I guess there is maybe a connection, but I'd need a link where you got this connection to the universe info from. Also Paladins which are synonymous with the Draenei resemble holy warriors, crusaders. Which is obviously more Christian related. It might just be a mish-mash and not technically resemble one more than the other. Though to me they seem more like zealots.
    It's mentioned in various places, though a lot of it was in the RPGs.

Anyhow: http://wowpedia.org/Holy_Light_%28religion%29

It's mentioned in various places, though a lot of it was in the RPGs.

Anyhow: http://wowpedia.org/Holy_Light_%28religion%29
    Seems like a mix honestly, but imo in no way does that scream Hinduism. Only similarity would be the connection to the universe.