Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ...
    Guys let's be real, Cata changed the old world for the better. Not saying the raids/arenas/bgs/dungeons were better but the actual leveling, making it a dynamic world that changed as you progressed. Which, I for one loved. Leveling is my favorite part of the game (1-58 then skip to 68-80 cause BC leveling is garbage, Cata and Mists areas are too repetitive.)

Scarab Lord
    Can't wait until people still hate Cata in WoD and people try to claim "it was only 2 expacs ago, people didn't start to like TBC until MoP". The word nostalgia should be banned on this forum, it just stifles any form of useful debate.

I feel a little nostalgic about cata, even though I have played since launch. But I had a long break during it, and I didn't have an active guild and didn't raid, so I don't have those special memories that I did in pervious expansions. I guess I'm most nostalgic about the music, which was great, and the fact that I could roll a tauren pally which is my main today. I guess I can be nostalgic about the old world, but I prefer the remade cataclysm world. Maybe people here can't remember how shitty leveling used to be unless you had done it 500 times before.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    Can't wait until people still hate Cata in WoD and people try to claim "it was only 2 expacs ago, people didn't start to like TBC until MoP". The word nostalgia should be banned on this forum, it just stifles any form of useful debate.
    I would say that ignoring nostalgia as a factor when people talk about the evolution of the game makes it impossible to have a useful debate. Some people just aren't able to take a step back and watch the game as a whole without fond memories clouding their judgement.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by Tnfstc View Post
    Guys let's be real, Cata changed the old world for the better. Not saying the raids/arenas/bgs/dungeons were better but the actual leveling, making it a dynamic world that changed as you progressed. Which, I for one loved. Leveling is my favorite part of the game (1-58 then skip to 68-80 cause BC leveling is garbage, Cata and Mists areas are too repetitive.)
    In your opinion, maybe. But Cata changed the old world for the worse. There is really nothing redeeming about 1-58 now. Even the practically unchanged Silithus isn't as good as it once was, because they completely removed any quests involving the AQ raids, as well as the NPCs associated with the raids. Sure, the first playthrough wasn't bad, but after that it lost all its enjoyment. I had more fun leveling pre-Cataclysm than I have afterwards on any new alts. I also enjoy those characters I leveled through the old world than I do the new.

Why is there never any "nostalgia" talk of Cataclysm?

Reply: Because, Dragon Soul was the last thing on player's minds, they don't remember how amazing Firelands was, or BoT.

Firelands and BoT are in my top 5 raids, they're simply amazing.
    “It is either easy or impossible.” - Salvador Dali

WoW characters:
    Blitzo[Warrior] -Rex[Hunter] -Jax [Warlock] -
    Gluttony [Mage]

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    When the Wrath and BC eras respectively ended, people always went on about how fun and epic they were, the good times and all that jazz. Cataclysm on the other hand receives no positive reminiscing, and when I do talk to some people about it, its usually contempt for the PVP and Dragon Soul.
    No one really has memorable events of the expansion that they can't repeat today. Mop feels more like an extension of cataclysm. I don't feel like anything has changed except the health pools got larger and there's more places to go. The "game" is still the same, therefore there's nothing to be nostalgic about.

That isn't the case for vanilla -> tbc -> wotlk, each of which introduced pretty dramatic shake ups and improvements to the game.

No one is saying "ahh, remember that time when I got invited back for 10 days free membership in 4.3 and went from level 81 to level 85 and pugged deathwing on lfr difficulty all within 5 days of casual play?" Apologies if that sounds like I'm trolling, I'm not, that genuinely was my experience. I remember the time, yes it was reasonably fun, but it didn't keep me playing for very long. After I'd killed deathwing I saw little point in repeating the experience in normal or heroic, especially as I was not socially involved in the game. It kind of trivialised the experience for me.

However, having said that, it is likely that I would never have killed deathwing anyway. That didn't necessarily bother me, I haven't killed Garrosh either because I'm not subbed.

So I suppose on one hand, I did get to see the encounter thank to LFR. On the other, I didn't need/want to see it anyway.

For one thing, Cataclysm is not that old yet. We're only like a year and a half past it. Most players who have been around for a while are going to think of much older content when they think of nostalgia.

It's kinda like how I'm almost 30, so most "nostalgia" talk about gaming in general for me is going to be about SNES/N64 games instead of XBox 360/PS3 games.

Personally I really liked the first half of Cataclysm (I stopped playing shortly after Firelands). Content was innovative, fresh, and most of all CHALLENGING. Of course this upset the entitled generation of WoW because they had to actually work for their achievements....

I'm sure players that started playing WoW in Cata have nostalgia talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    When the Wrath and BC eras respectively ended, people always went on about how fun and epic they were, the good times and all that jazz. Cataclysm on the other hand receives no positive reminiscing, and when I do talk to some people about it, its usually contempt for the PVP and Dragon Soul.
    It's hard to be nostalgic about the worst expansion (from raids to leveling content) so far.
    No child these days ever gets to hear those all-important, character building words: "You lost, Bobby! You lost, you're a loser, Bobby!" They miss out on that. You know what they tell a kid who lost these days? "You were the last winner." A lot of these kids never get to hear the truth about themselves until they're in their twenties. When their boss calls them in and says "Bobby, clean the shit out of your desk and get the fuck out of here, you're a loser."

Quote Originally Posted by Tnfstc View Post
    This loved leveling 1-58, lots of alts on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    For one thing, Cataclysm is not that old yet. We're only like a year and a half past it. Most players who have been around for a while are going to think of much older content when they think of nostalgia.

It's kinda like how I'm almost 30, so most "nostalgia" talk about gaming in general for me is going to be about SNES/N64 games instead of XBox 360/PS3 games.
    I don't know, I am almost 33, and I have nostalgia of PS2 games, and reaches as far back as the Atari 2600 (not SNES as I didn't have one). Cataclysm isn't "not old enough yet", and there was nostalgia talk of Wrath only a few months into Cataclysm. There should have been nostalgia threads/posts about Cataclysm for a year now, but there isn't. Only nostalgia talk is about the release difficulty, despite it actually being a bad thing for the game. The game has yet to recover from the crap expansion.

And I am sure once the XBO and PS4 are more widespread, there will be nostalgia about PS3/XBox360