Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

World of Warcraft 2?

As the title says, is there actually a World of Warcraft 2nd generation in development? (Not a new Expansion)

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome one View Post
    As the title says, is there actually a World of Warcraft 2nd generation in development? (Not a new Expansion)

I'm willing to bet anyone on this.

You will never see a world of warcraft 2.

Deleted
    Really? How come?

weve had countless threads about this before there will never be a wow 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kaldriss View Post
    weve had countless threads about this before there will never be a wow 2
    Do you not understand the definition of the word 'never'? It's is all encompassing. In the year 3021, World of Warcraft 2, or some variation of the name in a similar universe can happen. I don't think you seriously understand how that word works.

Right now? No, I doubt it is in the works. In the future after WoW's inevitable death, (it is already super old for an MMO.) After Warcraft IV and Warcraft V? Yes, I believe that 12 years from now, Blizzard will announce WoW 2, still Horde v Ally probably same races plus a few, with like 2-3 neutral races, and a lot of what we did would be caverns of time stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt it very much. There is no reason to create a new version of what is such an ever-changing world.

Deleted
    Really? How come?
    Because it's too much work for too much risk. There are two routes that a WoW2 could go down:
    a.) Closely replicate original wow.
    b.) Significantly change the formula.

In the case of the former there would be little point in entirely remaking the game if it's going to be very similar. In the case of the latter you risk estranging your already established playerbase. That's another issue - wow already has that playerbase and a sequel would have to do an awful lot to garner more subs than wow does currently. After all it would carry all the same connotations as wow so even with a vastly different formula it would probably never get the 12 million plus subs wow had in Wrath.

Expansions are a much safer, easier and more profitable format. I won't say we'll never see WoW two but it won't be for decades yet, long after wow has died and after Warcraft 4 (and maybe 5) have been released.

Deleted
    But seriously, why? WoW went to shit when they introduced LFR IMO since then they have managed to screw up all sorts it's really disappointing that I used to be almost addicted and now I can barely motivate myself to buy a subscription to go back and talk/have some fun with guild mates, why do you think blizzard don't listen to the community? At one point the worlds largest MMO and now i'm sure per day more people cancel their subscriptions than buy them. So why don't they look at these posts and see people demand a new improved game instead of an anticipated expansion that flushes over £30 down the shitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I doubt it very much. There is no reason to create a new version of what is such an ever-changing world.
    We'll eventually reach a point where Blizzard will want to make core changes to gameplay that simply can't be done in WoW. Stuff like the removal of hotkey/icon combat in favor of something more action-oriented, community content, removing/combining classes (or even having classes at all), or more dymanic world maps.

10+ Year Old Account
    So why don't they look at these posts and see people demand a new improved game instead of an anticipated expansion that flushes over £30 down the shitter?
    Probably has something to do with the fact that this game has earned them hundreds of millions of dollars and will continue to do so with proper care. So they should do what, exactly? Abandon WoW, alienate millions of their subscribers, and make WoW 2.0 when they've already got the golden goose in their pocket?
    Look! Words!

Deleted
    But seriously, why? WoW went to shit when they introduced LFR IMO since then they have managed to screw up all sorts it's really disappointing that I used to be almost addicted and now I can barely motivate myself to buy a subscription to go back and talk/have some fun with guild mates, why do you think blizzard don't listen to the community? At one point the worlds largest MMO and now i'm sure per day more people cancel their subscriptions than buy them. So why don't they look at these posts and see people demand a new improved game instead of an anticipated expansion that flushes over £30 down the shitter?
    Oh ok. Now I see. You're one of those. WoW is still world's largest MMO and will be so for many years to come.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sure in 2024...

A Cataclysm style rebuild is as close to a completely new game as I think we will get. Why would they knock down and restart what is the most successful mmo ever and risk losing what they have. Imagine how pissed off the player base would be if they lost what they have worked on for years. If they didn't shut down WoW then why make WoW2 and compete with themselves and divide the player base?
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I can see it in maybe 20-30+ years. After an entire generation has gone past. In that time frame the platform it would be played on would of course be rather alien to us now, so who knows what or how it will look. There is one thing that will always help drive entertainment, nostalgia. The wee little kids of today will one day look back and say "hey, why dont we remake WoW" and poof you have wow 2.

It will most likely happen at some point. However i seriously doubt it would happen 'today'. Such a thing could draw more people into the game, but it can also alienate the current and previous players. They will all poke and prod at every detail, saying it was better the way wow 1 did it. Long as WoW 1 is still turning a profit they will continue to support its growth and changes. Once its past its day, they will shut it down or lower support and updates to it till it does die off.

I do however think blizzard will certainly try another MMO game at some point. What universe... who knows. Most people point at Starcraft, dunno if that would work. More likely better off in something new, using similar over all framework wow uses(not technical side, just how the game feels and such).
    ^^Everything said above is purely the opinion of the person who posted it. Nothing said is to be taken as fact unless otherwise stated, and even then only taken into consideration as fact, and not an actual fact, as it could be wrong or in other ways misinformed.

Deleted
    But seriously, why? WoW went to shit when they...
    Do you think your opinion is relevant? Even if hundreds of thousands think the same, it is not enough of a reason for them to make a sequel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    Probably has something to do with the fact that this game has earned them hundreds of millions of dollars and will continue to do so with proper care. So they should do what, exactly? Abandon WoW, alienate millions of their subscribers, and make WoW 2.0 when they've already got the golden goose in their pocket?
    I'm not saying alienate them, i'm saying they should develop from the current WoW and what the community see as faults improve in an all new game which may have more realistic graphics as a bonus to everybody and begin from a new chapter at the end of which ever expansions before they begin development also I never exactly said screw current WoW and shut it down but I meant BEGIN development and leave current WoW up

Replace "Expansion" with sequel.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Deleted
    I'm not saying alienate them, i'm saying they should develop from the current WoW and what the community see as faults improve in an all new game which may have more realistic graphics as a bonus to everybody and begin from a new chapter at the end of which ever expansions before they begin development also I never exactly said screw current WoW and shut it down but I meant BEGIN development and leave current WoW up
    That can be achieved perfectly in an expansion though. For all I know they could even redo the engine in an expansion and I think they'll do that long before a Wow 2. If you're looking for hope that LFR will be removed well you're in for some disappointment. It's been very successful and would continue to stick around even in Wow 2. And again, even if Blizzard did want to remove it that doesn't require a brand new game. The most we'll get is an expansion which acts as a large revamp for the game's content and systems. Cata was their first attempt at that and it failed rather hard, but it's not out of the question for the future.

Really? How come?
    cuz every expansion revamps fundamental game mechanics, essentially making it a new (but similar) game.