Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How to kill goblins as melee?

The question maybe looks silly but its real problem for me. If Im lucky and goblin will stuck somewhere (corner, some walls etc) then I can kill them without any problem and even without using big cooldowns (like bombardment on crus or wrath on barb). But most of the time they just run around so fast that I can hit them only when they stopping for a sec and later when they open portal I just dont have enough time to kill them because they are almost at 100% hp.

When I play on ranged its so easy to kill them, when Im switching to melee its just frustrating to see all this goblins just run through portal. The worst thing is when I meet goblin packs in rifts. At moments like this I just want switch to ranged and dont look back

So any advice how to kill them as melee?

cc makes it easy

either swap skills/runes or have special gear in bag

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    cc makes it easy
    They are immune to a lot of CC...at least as a Crusader. For example, they are immune to blind.

I guess the best you can do is find out if any of your CC works. If so, use it, if not try to keep any of your mobile abilities ready (like Epiphany for monks). It's just going to be really hard on higher torment levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    cc makes it easy

either swap skills/runes or have special gear in bag
    The most ridiculous thing is that cc on ranged skills like black hole works on them (even when ranged have 0 problems with kiling goblins) but most of the melee cc (if not all) just does not work.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    The most ridiculous thing is that cc on ranged skills like black hole works on them (even when ranged have 0 problems with kiling goblins) but most of the melee cc (if not all) just does not work.
    PLay with range ! my main is range and i love to play with a melee, while he hold them, i dont need to kite.

I feel your pain. I play as a Crusader and if I don't find the goblin in a corner, I don't even bother with it. I used to have a better chance when I was using The Mortal Drama (doubles bombardment procs) with the single blast bombardment, with lots of crit hit/damage, and all my pieces that could have %bombardment damage on them had it. Could double crit for 27mil each. My gear and spec have grown past that spec though and as I said, I just ignore them now unless that are already trapped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tbh after the damage buffs I get more down than I lose. Generally I used Shield Bash(Shield Cross), Punish(Roar), Condemn(unleashed) and Akarat's Champion (Rally).

Then as soon as you see them DROP ALL THE COOLDOWNS, use Shield Bash for damage and the dash, spam condemn on CD and hope that the increased resource gen from AC allows you to stay in range with him, and the CDR from Rally allows you to spam enough instant Condemns to get the fucker down .

FAR from a flawless plan, but it's worked for me so far.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Stuns and knockbacks work wonders for goblins. Most of the time I find myself trying to just burst through them with all of my cooldowns and not allowing them the chance to run. Often they will run in the opposite direction you are, so if you're in an open area and manage to spot one before it sees you, clear things around it, and attempt to get it to run where you want it to.
    Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

--Auron, Final Fantasy X

If you can't kill a Goblin your gear is to bad for the difficulty. There are several "walk through" skills for all melee.

On my barb I use Avalanche with the frozen glyph thing, last I checked it will freeze them. And slows work I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Herd it into a corner.
    Slow it.
    More DoTs.
    Equip your burstiest skill loadout, do what you can to it until it begins casting its last portal and then fire all ze missiles.
    Leave it alone and look for a Power/Speed/Conduit Pylon.
    Last edited by Frumpy Frumpy Frak; 2014-04-18 at 05:01 AM.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

Frost damage. You will see how effective is that. kinda hard with a crusader, definitely doable with a Barb.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well since you used a crusader as an example:

- Justice/Smite
    - Shield Bash/Blessed Shield/Fist of the Heavens
    - Heaven's Fury/Falling Sword
    - Steed Charge/Phalanx:Bowmen
    - Judgement

Are all spammable/short CD/med CD abilities that can be used to make life killing goblins easier.

never ever had problems killing goblins as melee, sure they seem annoying but just click on the damn gob and dont let go. ur toon will keep following, the problem is if u let up on the chase. pop a few cds if u reall yneed to.

followers can slow them, i know templar and scoundrel can.

I don't have much problem on my Crusader or Monk, but on Barb I pretty much can't kill it w/o WotB unless it gets cornered.

As barb I just run after them and hit em with Hota they die 90% of time for me on T5. Sounds like a lack of dps or single target dps. Having the belt that gives 33% extra runspeed on warcry makes it even easier.

Deleted
    slow from Rend does work

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    The question maybe looks silly but its real problem for me. If Im lucky and goblin will stuck somewhere (corner, some walls etc) then I can kill them without any problem and even without using big cooldowns (like bombardment on crus or wrath on barb). But most of the time they just run around so fast that I can hit them only when they stopping for a sec and later when they open portal I just dont have enough time to kill them because they are almost at 100% hp.

When I play on ranged its so easy to kill them, when Im switching to melee its just frustrating to see all this goblins just run through portal. The worst thing is when I meet goblin packs in rifts. At moments like this I just want switch to ranged and dont look back

So any advice how to kill them as melee?
    For single goblins just wait until your burst is off cd and hit them hard. Try to predict their running pattern. thats what I do.

For rooms of goblins. Pray your follower doesnt Leeroy them and get other people into the game to help. It really pisses me off that blizz didnt think a head of time and put protection perimeters in for followers just powering into goblins. I have lost a lot of goblin rooms cause of it.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Deleted
    Judgment + 80% extra crit chance rune
    Law of Valor + 100% more crit damage rune
    Bombardment + one giant big ass projectile rune
    Ayy 4th skill of your choice, personally i use Shield Bash + pound, but Akarath's Champion with Rally could be handy if you really want that Goblin dead.

Deleted
    You have to burst them, wait for them to stop then burst them again. If you keep hitting them as they run they will just keep going and going.