Deleted

AMA Teacher Edition

I'm currently completing a skills conversion Master degree in BiS, hopefully to further my teaching career.

At a meeting today with some colleagues, and seniors, the subject of my profession came up. And quite literally we spent 30-40 minutes off on tangents of what it's actually like to be a public school teacher.

So after reviewing the forum rules I didn't see a ban on AMAs.

Ever wondered something about teachers? What we actually do in staff rooms, actual hours of work for a class?

Who knows, might be fun!

Bonus info: Male, mid twenties, hetero (applies for obvious reasons), teaching English and Sociology.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Why does your sexual orientation apply for obvious reasons? It has no bearing on your ability to teach, nor should it have any on your interactions with students...
    I think the relevance has to do with old teachers are female tropes. Men who do traditionally female occupations (which teacher in some way still is) are looked down on as somewhat less than manly.

It's dumb. I know...but it IS starting to change.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    Why does your sexual orientation apply for obvious reasons? It has no bearing on your ability to teach, nor should it have any on your interactions with students...
    The paranoia around male teachers is prevalent. My first day I, and my other new male colleagues,were told point blank to never, under any circumstances, be alone in a room with a student. Even with an open door etc., my female colleagues weren't given the extra talk.

Homosexual male teachers sometimes find it more difficult to work in public schools. Especially lower end schools, where they sometimes face open hostility from parents.

What attracted you to English and Sociology?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    The paranoia around male teachers is prevalent. My first day I, and my other new male colleagues,were told point blank to never, under any circumstances, be alone in a room with a student. Even with an open door etc., my female colleagues weren't given the extra talk.
    I'd actually be inclined to follow this policy as much as possible even if it weren't a policy. Tis shitty that it's necessary, but I'd rather avoid any circumstances where I could even potentially be accused of impropriety. If the potential for impropriety isn't there, impropriety isn't there.

15+ Year Old Account
    About what page do you expect the ignorant anti-teacher anti-public school brigade to show up?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    What attracted you to English and Sociology?
    My grandfather worked as a stage builder in several major theatres.

He once told me a story about the actors he worked with. He receipted Shakespeare to me in a voice different than when he'd speak normally. We sat in his tiny room, and he'd get me lost in a story. Then he told me I could be just as good as any of them.

Once I grew up a bit I realized it wasn't the acting, but the words, that attracted me.

Sociology is at the heart of all literature, the discussion of society.

I'd actually be inclined to follow this policy as much as possible even if it weren't a policy. Tis shitty that it's necessary, but I'd rather avoid any circumstances where I could even potentially be accused of impropriety. If the potential for impropriety isn't there, impropriety isn't there.
    This. I flight instructed for 4 years. All of it was one on one. Never left myself alone in my office with a closed door with a student.

My grandfather worked as a stage builder in several major theatres.

He once told me a story about the actors he worked with. He receipted Shakespeare to me in a voice different than when he'd speak normally. We sat in his tiny room, and he'd get me lost in a story. Then he told me I could be just as good as any of them.

Once I grew up a bit I realized it wasn't the acting, but the words, that attracted me.

Sociology is at the heart of all literature, the discussion of society.
    That's a delightful story! I smiled.

Deleted
    You realize that talk isn't a homosexual thing right? It's more about adult males being sexual predators more often than females(at least perceived) and you shouldn't be alone with any student because molestation charges are a big deal(even false ones).
    Did you read the second part?

I didn't think it necessary to explain further but here goes.

Ignorant parents think homosexual males are more likely to abuse children. As a result their children are more wary of, and hateful toward, these teachers. It's a horrible reality, but that's what my colleagues face at times.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    This. I flight instructed for 4 years. All of it was one on one. Never left myself alone in my office with a closed door with a student.
    I never do unless in specific circumstances. Not worth potential accusations of disgruntled students.

Administering state exams in special centres, or for resource hours.

- - - Updated - - -

Yet you were alone with students in tight quarters high off the ground... One on one no less.

- - - Updated - - -

And you feeling the need to point out that you're hetero as if it was relevant only reinforces their ignorant views... or maybe you just share them.
    Another poster drew a sensible conclusion earlier, many male teachers are presumed homosexual by associates.

Why be a teacher when you get paid nothing! Be a real man and work in a company!

And please stop baiting. I'm not a bear.

Homosexual male teachers sometimes find it more difficult to work in public schools. Especially lower end schools, where they sometimes face open hostility from parents.
    As a female teacher I've definitely been given that 'talk'. It's fairly standard, I don't know any teachers that haven't tbh. It was pretty well covered for all of us together in my degree as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    So don't wear skimpy clothes getting raped is not entirely out of your control either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    As a female teacher I've definitely been given that 'talk'. It's fairly standard, I don't know any teachers that haven't tbh. It was pretty well covered for all of us together in my degree as well.
    Indeed, but let me just say it was overstressed.

It was also a Catholic school, of which many in Ireland are. Different climate given our chequered past.

Yet you were alone with students in tight quarters high off the ground... One on one no less.
    There is that. Be defensive where you can.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    About what page do you expect the ignorant anti-teacher anti-public school brigade to show up?
    I doubt they will. Most people are neutral to school, some hate it, and some weirdos love it!

Deleted
    I know you're not a bear, you already said you're hetero. My mother is a teacher and not a single one of her male colleagues was presumed gay until proven straight... I like how you're changing your reason for it being relevant though. You must be an amazing teacher.
    You'd be surprised.

It's nearly expected for primary teachers here. Those male teachers who are hetero at primary level, in their early years, are treated with a certain level of ambiguity. Again, keep in mind I'm from Ireland, which has a horrendous past in the case of child abuse.

Coupled with ignorant views of homosexuality, it's not always roses.

But if you want an argument, continue. You're enjoying it by the looks.

Edit: A nice (as can be) article on it.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/gay-teacher...19137-Feb2014/

- - - Updated - - -

That's a delightful story! I smiled.
    I'm collecting them for my kids.

Hopefully I'll do it more justice when I tell it to them!
    Last edited by mmoc5ec8505a9d; 2014-04-18 at 12:48 AM.

What do you feel of the current standard teaching methods?

Personally, I had a horrible school experience up until university. I never had high grades, well except in a few subjects, because I never cared enough to actually try, and I never got bad grades because it was so easy. Basically I relied on my natural abilities, I spent as little time in school as possible, and I never did any school work outside of school.

It's hard to explain, but I felt like the teaching plan lingered too much on everything. For example we did geometry for like an entire term when I was maybe 14, but I had it pretty much figured out the first week, and then I didn't learn anything for the rest of the term because I had already done it. I was never offered any special teaching plans or anything so maybe that's why, but I was extremely bored in school all the time.

I feel like if you gave the kids the opportunity to specialize their learning a bit more, while still following the goals, you'd end up with a much happier class.
    To put it in a perspective that you might understand, teaching english, imagine something like a kid wanting to read more and learn more about philosophy, while another really wants to get into sci-fi and oh, there's someone who really likes history.

Of course, normally you wouldn't look at it that way and just force some boring shit that you think is cool on the class.
    But if you instead formulated the homework or projects or whatever in a way, so that you can pretty much choose what you want to do, and get a deeper knowledge about it, the productivity in your class would skyrocket.

I doubt it'd be so easy to actually change something like that only on the teacher level, but I feel that there really has to be a drastic change in teaching methods.
    What do you feel about it?