Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally don't like any in-windows overclocking tools. I'd do it all by BIOS.

You likely need to disable the option to keep it at 3.4. I would look up 'overclocking guides for Z68-D3H-B3"
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Buy SSD and overclock the CPU. 2500k @ around 4,5Ghz still delivers first class gaming performance. For GPU upgrade, I would go for R9 290 or GTX 780 or not upgrade at all. And that is more GPU demanding games in mind.
    Last edited by mmoc58ad131b44; 2014-04-20 at 09:29 PM.

For the GPU, I'd recommend taking a look at Tom's Hardware GPU rankings (just put those words in Google).

Like samthing said, if you don't go at least GTX 780, it is probably not worth upgrading at all.

Borrowing the topic (with OP's permission) since I'm facing the exact same problem.
    I'm playing Diablo 3 & WoW and I'm having too low fps even with all settings tuned to low. This occurs expecially in Diablo 3.

My current setup is:
    - Corsair IV Formula (motherboard)
    - AMD Radeon HD 5870
    - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4,0GHz
    - 8Gb DDR3
    - 120Gb SSD(where Win 7 64bit & games are installed)

So I was thinking should I try and just buy a new GPU or do I need to upgrade the whole thing for the sake of good fps.

edit: Playing with 1920x1200 resolution.
    Last edited by Raveniah; 2014-04-21 at 04:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raveniah View Post
    Borrowing the topic (with OP's permission) since I'm facing the exact same problem.
    I'm playing Diablo 3 & WoW and I'm having too low fps even with all settings tuned to low. This occurs expecially in Diablo 3.

My current setup is:
    - AMD Radeon HD 5870
    - 8Gb DDR3

So I was thinking should I try and just buy a new GPU or do I need to upgrade the whole thing for the sake of good fps.

Turn vsync on, get msi afterburner. Play some D3, go back to MSI Afterbuner, watch the GPU usage, if it stays under 99%, it's CPU problem, if not then it's GPU problem.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Deleted

My current setup is:
    - AMD Radeon HD 5870
    - 8Gb DDR3

It's possibly time to upgrade. The order that you upgrade depends almost entirely on following Cyrops' advice.

Deleted

My current setup is:
    - AMD Radeon HD 5870
    - 8Gb DDR3

Phenom 2 just isn't that great anymore, especially if you run lots of addons in WoW. Try switching recount for skada if you use the former.

Upgrading CPU and motherboard won't let you use much higher graphical settings, but your minimum fps should increase a lot. Then again, upgrading GPU lets you use higher graphic options but your minimum fps will be about the same as now.

Tried what Cyrops suggested, running the game with vsync on with MSI Afterburner. Looks like it's not the GPU issue after all, since the gpu usage were around 50% and core temp around 70-80C. The fps spikes a lot, and I was wondering could it be SSD failure? For example if I toggle any extra screen open on game (inventory etc) it spikes or freezes for a split second.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tried what Cyrops suggested, running the game with vsync on with MSI Afterburner. Looks like it's not the GPU issue after all, since the gpu usage were around 50% and core temp around 70-80C. The fps spikes a lot, and I was wondering could it be SSD failure? For example if I toggle any extra screen open on game (inventory etc) it spikes or freezes for a split second.
    Opening inventory sends request to server, so it's most likely your internet connection, I have same freeze when opening inventory in D3, but my internet sucks, 0.5mbps upload -_-
    FPS spikes with Vsync on? That's not good.
    Vsync is supposed to lock your FPS at 60 (or whatever your monitor supports, I believe).

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    Opening inventory sends request to server, so it's most likely your internet connection, I have same freeze when opening inventory in D3, but my internet sucks, 0.5mbps upload -_-
    FPS spikes with Vsync on? That's not good.
    Vsync is supposed to lock your FPS at 60 (or whatever your monitor supports, I believe).
    Have "tried" this fix now. Old internet connection was 8/0.4 and now I'm having 90/4 (dl/ul). It might have helped a bit but not really. Still the same constant framerate drops. I noticed when monitoring CPU usage that one core was peaking at high usage while others were low. Is this something it should be, or can you trigger D3 to use cores differently?

10+ Year Old Account
    Have "tried" this fix now. Old internet connection was 8/0.4 and now I'm having 90/4 (dl/ul). It might have helped a bit but not really. Still the same constant framerate drops. I noticed when monitoring CPU usage that one core was peaking at high usage while others were low. Is this something it should be, or can you trigger D3 to use cores differently?
    One core will be higher, the one that syncs packets. Can't really multi thread that process as you will get synchronization problems.
    Still I don't believe it is possible to have frame rate spikes with vsync on, are you using some sort of software to monitor the FPS? Perhaps the vsync is not turning on.

On another note, we are mixing different issues into one. Having lag while opening inventory - internet/CPU, having lag while running around - GPU.