Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    would anyone prefer a casting time for traps as opposed to travel time?

    for the trap launcher.
    just curious if anyone ever thought about that.

  2. #2
    Epic! Arcanimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Posts
    1,599
    Only for Freezing Trap, and only if it activates instantly on the TARGET, and not on the ground.
    Otherwise, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

  3. #3
    Travel times are fine. They should just not be visible (or at least, not entirely) by your targets in PVP. And the Flare's one has to be as fast as the other traps' ones.

  4. #4
    It's the same thing, though, isn't it? Except your potential PvP opponent can actually see that you're throwing down a trap which will just give them the advantage. Traps are looking to be hard enough to pull off in WoD, please no! ;P

  5. #5
    I am Murloc! Volitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victory Road.
    Posts
    5,247
    Imo they should just make Freezing trap like sheep, yeah I know homowhatever blah blah, if we don't have scatter trapping is a nightmare.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Brawl Pub
    Posts
    4,218
    Trap with an interruptible cast time would require the trap to be player-targeted, imo, like someone said up above. Once you finish the cast, done, they're CCed, unless they have an immunity up.

  7. #7
    I think that defeats the whole purpose of a trap.. it should require a bit of skill to put down. I wonder how it'll feel in WoD with the automatically working changes


    WHU Admin~7/7 Mythic~
    #TeamHunter

  8. #8
    no, we dont need more fears/sheeps/cyclones etc

    trap is unique, never change it. Just improve the mechanics behind it, which they are doing.

  9. #9
    Mechagnome Littlepinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    no, we dont need more fears/sheeps/cyclones etc

    trap is unique, never change it. Just improve the mechanics behind it, which they are doing.
    I agree with this. I think if they do the instant activation right, we will be just fine.

  10. #10
    The Patient Sharde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    311
    what i would like:

    make wyvern sting baseline with 1,5 sec casttime and remove frost trap. i don't think there is a need for 2 frost type traps.

  11. #11
    I would love that.
    Targetable, no cooldown, 1,5sec cast befoure haste, interuptable.
    The fear/sheep type cc is so much stronger than regular freezing trap.
    Wyvern would have to be cut down to 4sec to make it fair tho.

    Harder to cc while focused that is true, but you can actually take controll of a game.
    Re casting dr cc at a clutch moment, spam ccing different dps to save a team mate ect.
    And as interuptable it would greatly contribute to a higher skillcap.
    It would benefit good hunters tremendusly, poor hunters would suffer for it = perfect change.

    Can always make it a minor glyph for the die hard trappers to use an old travel time freezing trap.
    *but back on instant, 30 sec cd back, non targetable naturally.
    Might even be worth to switch to vs certain comps when you kno you will be focused.
    Wouldnt be gamebraking tho, you would still suffer the gimped wyvern.
    Last edited by Ettan; 2014-04-16 at 05:46 PM.

  12. #12
    Trying to trap with Oceanic ping is going to be a nightmare anyway, but having a cast time/insta trap is only going to make it harder to land trap, as there would still be exactly the same delay between press the trap and it being active on the ground, however with a cast time it just becomes easier for opponents to see what you're doing and avoid it
    Log Reviews @
    Nnug#6921-Twitter-Stream

  13. #13
    Mechagnome Littlepinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnug View Post
    Trying to trap with Oceanic ping is going to be a nightmare anyway, but having a cast time/insta trap is only going to make it harder to land trap, as there would still be exactly the same delay between press the trap and it being active on the ground, however with a cast time it just becomes easier for opponents to see what you're doing and avoid it
    I thank the internet gods for my 40 ping =D

  14. #14
    Casting time for traps would make sense.

  15. #15
    Trapping and flaring is an art.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryfhus View Post
    Travel times are fine. They should just not be visible (or at least, not entirely) by your targets in PVP. And the Flare's one has to be as fast as the other traps' ones.
    That remains to be seen, travel time + visibility = major failure.

    Now if the trap launch operation is invisible to the enemy, it would be a refreshing mechanism.

    Put a casting on launcher would take our mobility and make the trap location more predictable. Since hunter class always required mouse skills, they just nerfed the requirements over the years to make the new class, huntard (let's not forget BM making to the top spec).

  17. #17
    Mechagnome Littlepinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetHydrant View Post
    Trapping and flaring is an art.
    Great Flaring is truly an art. That damn thing flies so slowly you have to be a fortune teller to hit a stealthy with it.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    I would love that.
    Targetable, no cooldown, 1,5sec cast befoure haste, interuptable.
    The fear/sheep type cc is so much stronger than regular freezing trap.
    Wyvern would have to be cut down to 4sec to make it fair tho.

    Harder to cc while focused that is true, but you can actually take controll of a game.
    Re casting dr cc at a clutch moment, spam ccing different dps to save a team mate ect.
    And as interuptable it would greatly contribute to a higher skillcap.
    It would benefit good hunters tremendusly, poor hunters would suffer for it = perfect change.

    Can always make it a minor glyph for the die hard trappers to use an old travel time freezing trap.
    *but back on instant, 30 sec cd back, non targetable naturally.
    Might even be worth to switch to vs certain comps when you kno you will be focused.
    Wouldnt be gamebraking tho, you would still suffer the gimped wyvern.
    It just makes it into the same thing everyone else has got. I like traps how they are, you can strategically place them and you can aim them.

    How would it make it a higher skillcap? Fake casting is incredibly easy, guaranteeing a trap in todays arena environment when everything is mobile and able to eat traps is a nightmare.

    It would make bad hunters like bad mages, stand in one place casting trap. Good hunters will do exactly the same thing except they will be harder to interrupt.

    Tell me: how much difference is there from a good mage sheeping to a bad one? Not very much.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    It just makes it into the same thing everyone else has got. I like traps how they are, you can strategically place them and you can aim them.

    How would it make it a higher skillcap? Fake casting is incredibly easy, guaranteeing a trap in todays arena environment when everything is mobile and able to eat traps is a nightmare.

    It would make bad hunters like bad mages, stand in one place casting trap. Good hunters will do exactly the same thing except they will be harder to interrupt.

    Tell me: how much difference is there from a good mage sheeping to a bad one? Not very much.
    Well yes it would make things equal, that is the whole point.
    Without this pvp balance is much harder to achive. Still we cannot have everything the same, that would indeed suck.
    But variations of the same mold? I have no problem with that.

    Tell me: how much difference is there from a good mage sheeping to a bad one? Not very much.

    ... not a thing in my posts indicated an answer to this?
    If you cannot grasp that I would advice you to look up high rated mage/lock streamers and study how they use their cc, good mages/locks will use it well both defensivly and agressivly and can controll a game.
    The lack of cd on fear/sheep in particular enables them to do this.
    Hunters can only agressivly trap.
    He may defensivly trap, but it would just get dispelled into a cd on trap.
    You could use them defensivly if forced ofc, but it wouldnt be any good. Befoure mop you could grant your traps 50% dispell protection by spamming mark on it. But it was not exactly vidly used for defensive traps back then, it was mostly used to counter sp's dispelling a trapped healer (dispells had no cd only gcd).
    A lock/mage however could sheep/fear one dps and either dr fear/sheep or swap to the other dps forcing out a cd or granting a full sheep/fear.

    Nothing against your person Illana, but I must confess that I keep you on ignore.
    This due to your post history, I find some of them so stupid it hurts my brain.
    They are almost trollish, but I for one think you are genuine.
    Last edited by Ettan; 2014-04-16 at 11:13 PM.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepinch View Post
    Great Flaring is truly an art. That damn thing flies so slowly you have to be a fortune teller to hit a stealthy with it.
    I remember back in the day when it was instant!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •