Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    At this point in time we could not escape. We would have to at least master nuclear power.

I saw a documentary on youtube about this. I think about this stuff all the time. That at some point in the future, there wont be an Earth. That we either need to find another planet or something to live on or the human race, along with everything else, will no long exist. The most likely scenario (as of right now) would be most likely millions of years or so when our sun does what every other star does; come to the end of its life. We'd be long gone before it even died, seeing as how its a pretty long process and very violent. Though this isnt going to happen for millions of years, its probably the most likely scenario and its definitely going to happen at some point, meaning we need to be gone.

That being said, the documentary was very interesting and actually doable. How the people in the documentary talked about was a HUGE space craft capable of carrying hundreds of thousands to millions of people. This, of course, would take a VERY long time, so would have to be started decades in advance. There would need to be space for people to live, to grow food, etc. but the biggest problem people think of when they think of long term space flight is zero gravity. The people in the video had an ingenious idea to deal with this problem. To counter zero gravity, they would have the place the people lived in be a very long cylinder. The cylinder would spin in one direction, thus pushing the people inside to the outside, creating artificial gravity. In the video, they were traveling to another Earth-like planet. The closest Earth-like habitable planet is thousands of light years away. Meaning, the people who first boarded the space craft wouldnt make that journey there. There would be need to a few generations of people living on the space craft, just repeating the cycle, until they made the journey to the new planet.

I know this seems far-fetched, and extremely complicated, but if the Earth does make it to the point were our sun starts to die, or even if we find some sort of unstoppable force (in the video it was a neutron star headed towards earth), I feel this would be one of the few, if only, options we'd have to survive as a race.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TehOccifer View Post
    I saw a documentary on youtube about this. I think about this stuff all the time. That at some point in the future, there wont be an Earth. That we either need to find another planet or something to live on or the human race, along with everything else, will no long exist. The most likely scenario (as of right now) would be most likely millions of years or so when our sun does what every other star does; come to the end of its life. We'd be long gone before it even died, seeing as how its a pretty long process and very violent. Though this isnt going to happen for millions of years, its probably the most likely scenario and its definitely going to happen at some point, meaning we need to be gone.

That being said, the documentary was very interesting and actually doable. How the people in the documentary talked about was a HUGE space craft capable of carrying hundreds of thousands to millions of people. This, of course, would take a VERY long time, so would have to be started decades in advance. There would need to be space for people to live, to grow food, etc. but the biggest problem people think of when they think of long term space flight is zero gravity. The people in the video had an ingenious idea to deal with this problem. To counter zero gravity, they would have the place the people lived in be a very long cylinder. The cylinder would spin in one direction, thus pushing the people inside to the outside, creating artificial gravity. In the video, they were traveling to another Earth-like planet. The closest Earth-like habitable planet is thousands of light years away. Meaning, the people who first boarded the space craft wouldnt make that journey there. There would be need to a few generations of people living on the space craft, just repeating the cycle, until they made the journey to the new planet.

I know this seems far-fetched, and extremely complicated, but if the Earth does make it to the point were our sun starts to die, or even if we find some sort of unstoppable force (in the video it was a neutron star headed towards earth), I feel this would be one of the few, if only, options we'd have to survive as a race.
    Actually "millions of years" is pretty low for an advanced civilisation. Our star has been estimated to no longer support life in around 5 billion of our years.
    Depressing as it may seem, we may just as well live only 50 years longer from now on until we kill ourselves or some cataclysm does it for us, or 50 billion years more, as a species.

What's more sad is http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Can't be done in our lifetimes, it sucks I know but sometimes it is best to get drunk and enjoy the mayhem.
    100% agree with RICH. Just have to sit back and watch the world burn, eh?

10+ Year Old Account
    We have nothing even approaching the technology to survive a fatal event to the Earth, or ever will.

It dies, we die. Some alien intervention could maybe save some, but that would take them overcoming the vast distances of interstellar space as well, which in near completely impossible.

Get an electronic thumb. (and a second vote for buy a beach house.)

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Be prepared to meet your maker would be the only smart approach. Some think in a 100 years our technology would be so advanced we could escape the earth and live in space. Remember the movie 2001? Or some of the other movies prediction of our future and how things may be at that year and date? Pfft.