Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why challenge mode armor confuses me.

Something has always bothered me about the challenge mode armor. All of the sets look really good. Given, some aren't as good as others, and some people don't like some of them, but I think it can be generally agreed that the entire challenge mode "tier" was above average, and hit more marks than just about any other tier.

And thats the problem.

Challenge mode armor shows us that blizz knows how to make really good armor sets. They set out to make really awesome stuff, and they did. Why is it then, that after making the challenge mode gear, they then proceeded the bumble around MoP making, in general, very below average armors with the occasional gem (rather than all gems)? Did they lose some art staff? Because MoP, imo, was below average for an expansion as a whole (and this is from someone who loves Pandaren). Simply put, what happened?

Subjectivity happened
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

For one thing you're assuming everyone agrees on what makes a set look good. Believe it or not, Challenge Mode sets aren't universally appealing; there's quite a few raid sets I think look much better than the Challenge sets (Kor'kron Shaman set looks so much better than the Challenge Shaman set which only really has the bazooka shoulders going for it).

Quote Originally Posted by Huoyue View Post
    Something has always bothered me about the challenge mode armor. All of the sets look really good. Given, some aren't as good as others, and some people don't like some of them, but I think it can be generally agreed that the entire challenge mode "tier" was above average, and hit more marks than just about any other tier.

And thats the problem.

Challenge mode armor shows us that blizz knows how to make really good armor sets. They set out to make really awesome stuff, and they did. Why is it then, that after making the challenge mode gear, they then proceeded the bumble around MoP making, in general, very below average armors with the occasional gem (rather than all gems)? Did they lose some art staff? Because MoP, imo, was below average for an expansion as a whole (and this is from someone who loves Pandaren). Simply put, what happened?
    To put it quite simply.

The Challenge mode gear isn't based on the raid, it is based on the Class.

People like their gear based on the class, more often then not. This is why TBC gear is so highly praised.

Also, I'd wager because it needs to be based on the raid (why, I dunno) their creative freedom while narrowed, is somewhat limited

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    For one thing you're assuming everyone agrees on what makes a set look good. Believe it or not, Challenge Mode sets aren't universally appealing; there's quite a few raid sets I think look much better than the Challenge sets (Kor'kron Shaman set looks so much better than the Challenge Shaman set which only really has the bazooka shoulders going for it).
    That's probably why he said there was outliers.

Also Dark Shaman isn't a tier set.

And thats the problem.

First off, it's meant to be a lasting reward to reward those who ACTUALLY value challenge over just loot/stat grabbing. Honestly I respect more people who have a full set of that gear + phoenix than I ever do with somebody in the full latest tier set with Mimiron's head.

Secondly, you paint yourself into a corner by doing all sets like that. First off, those clearly had a lot more work done to them than others (particularly modeling and animation), then you have to consider how outlandish they are... and people will continue to want not just more - but BETTER - of that each and every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandapuncher View Post
    there's quite a few raid sets I think look much better than the Challenge sets
    Show me where I called it a Tier set. Then show me how you can get the Kor'kron set without doing the raid.

That's because you can't

Quote Originally Posted by Pandapuncher View Post
    To put it quite simply.

The Challenge mode gear isn't based on the raid, it is based on the Class.

People like their gear based on the class, more often then not. This is why TBC gear is so highly praised.

Also, I'd wager because it needs to be based on the raid (why, I dunno) their creative freedom while narrowed, is somewhat limited

- - - Updated - - -

That's probably why he said there was outliers.

Agreed. I really wish they'd go back to the old style of doing things; making sets truly Class-specific, in that only that class uses its appearance, and it's designed around the *Class*, not the drop-location. It's why many T2 sets still hold up, even today (and why I feel the TBC recolors are remembered less fondly, as well).

I mean, I get that the CM gear has a *little* more detail than "normal tiers", such as the skill-based particle effects. The designs, though, should always touch on the core values of the Class itself, otherwise... well, what the point of having Sets at all?

10+ Year Old Account
    CM gear wasn't limited by the theme of a tier.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Half the CM gear looks shit, Half looks good.
    Half the Tier Sets look shit, Half looks good.

Personal opinions reign supreme!

Pretty much what has already been said. Honestly, I only really like four of the sets (Druid, Paladin, Monk, Priest), the others are nice but just not my thing. Frankly that statement alone pretty much covers it, people like what they like.

The CM gear is also the culmination of an entire project of higher tuned dungeons and the reward is justifiably more detailed. Frankly, my guess would be (as to why it has so much more detail and appeal then tiers) is that it just received more time relative to the development of challenge modes. A raid tier needs to have encounters developed, a instance environment developed, multiple difficulties designed and recolors implemented. Challenge modes just need retuning and testing to determine appropriate times, then the challenge mode gear is designed.

Or perhaps:

It just boils down to the fact that from the beginning challenge modes were designed such that the "look" of the armor is the reward, were as flat power increases are the selling points of tier items. That is obviously not to say that the tier isn't appealing, but i think ya'll see were i'm going with this.

But that's just my best guess.
    Last edited by Cheekun; 2014-04-19 at 08:01 AM.
    Amazing Signature by Yoni

Looks good? I dont anyone who likes the paladin set that shit is terribad

Some looks amazing (warlock, mage) the rest is just kinda meh

Quote Originally Posted by Mooshelle View Post
    I like it, now you know of someone who does. Tastes differing, amazing huh?

Opinion vs. Opinion. WHO WILL WIN!?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooshelle View Post
    Seeing about a hundred of those guys with the set running around the Shrine seems to indicate, that people think differently.

I for one am just bummed out that the bonus effect of the Rogue set (the puff of smoke) is just limited to one attack that is only available to one of the specs, while the other classes get to enjoy their special bling bling with every skill.

Ah well.

They only made it cool so that they could tell returning players FUCK YOU, too late.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

shaman chal mode is one of the best sets in tthe whole game. (esp shoulders)
    other than that, Ithink the sets looks pretty good, but they'refar from perfect (and far from best-of-respective-class)

Actually I returned to wow after i saw one of these sets. Now I have 3 new geared chars.

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    They only made it cool so that they could tell returning players FUCK YOU, too late.
    you only need 463 gear which is farmed in a day to get chal modes done ...
    it's not too late now.

And thats the problem.

Most of the CM sets look like shit to me (lock/warr/monk/hunter/mage/Druid).

The only ones I really like are paladin/death knight (both of which I have) and shaman (but I hate the shaman class).

The point of this? Just because you don't think a certain tier set is a "gem" doesn't mean others don't love it. Just like I think the majority of the CM sets blow, yet you think they're "gems".

One of my professors in college used to always say "music is perceived, never achieved." This is of course not music we're discussing, but it's art, and all art is ultimately subjective.