View Poll Results: Should mirror image be a talent?

Voters
142. This poll is closed
  • Yes

51 35.92%
  • No Way!

45 31.69%
  • Dont care on the matter

46 32.39%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    Surprise twist ending: they still are, you just don't agree with their ever-changing game design.

Also, I agree with that other poster on the last page. Give this ability to warriors as they deserve it more considering its origins.
    erm, no, not even slightly, i agree with changes that not only make sense, but are arrented, i don't agree with lazy and stupid changes that make no sense and are unwarrented, with regard to the part of my post you quoted, hearthstone, i was lucky enough to get a beta key of a mate who either works, or used to work at blizzard back in august last year, when the game first entered public closed beta, and there are bugs from that first initial public release phase, that are still breaking the game today, many of which i have personally experienced, and are yet still not even close to being fixed, the official release of the game came out of nowhere, and wasn't expected at all, it felt not only rushed, but pathetically badly put together as a whole, many spell effects and other things were missing and patched in after "release", and game breaking glitches and bugs are still very prevalent as of writing this post, blizzard of yesteryear would not have released such a shoddy game in such a poor state, and expected to make money out of it, it would have been delayed with the customary "sorry guys not quite ready yet, working on the finishing touches, will be released soon.TM" instead of a random middle of teh night no warning "oh hey guys we officially launched this game for everybody to play even though it is totally fucked up in many ways", really sounds to me like they are still striving for top quality products /sarcasm

as to your second point, i truly hope you are being sarcastic because if not, then i really have to wonder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    My points were in discussion of people complaining about leveling with MI and losing that ability, I have always argued that MI is an awful CD in raiding, but it should be a talent with its current power Blizzard is giving it, otherwise it would be too strong as a regular ability.

And the 90 Talent Tier is fine now. RoP will most likely be the best at this point, and with WoD Raiding minimizing movement compared to MoP raiding, it will be fine. And RoP is perfectly viable in current tier even with all the movement, it is just annoying and Invocation can prevent getting RNG locked from your Rune. Mirror Image is there for any burst needed, Incanter's Flow could probably be altered a bit but it is there again for people who don't want to be stuck in the rather large radius RoP gives you now.
    Are they minimizing movement in raids? From what I've read they're only taking away caster mobility, not toning down the movement needed.

Just from personal experience I will never be using RoP again, I rolled with it as I tasted arcane but the RNG hits you in the face way too hard if the gods want you to suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    erm, no, not even slightly, i agree with changes that not only make sense, but are arrented, i don't agree with lazy and stupid changes that make no sense and are unwarrented, with regard to the part of my post you quoted, hearthstone, i was lucky enough to get a beta key of a mate who either works, or used to work at blizzard back in august last year, when the game first entered public closed beta, and there are bugs from that first initial public release phase, that are still breaking the game today, many of which i have personally experienced, and are yet still not even close to being fixed, the official release of the game came out of nowhere, and wasn't expected at all, it felt not only rushed, but pathetically badly put together as a whole, many spell effects and other things were missing and patched in after "release", and game breaking glitches and bugs are still very prevalent as of writing this post, blizzard of yesteryear would not have released such a shoddy game in such a poor state, and expected to make money out of it, it would have been delayed with the customary "sorry guys not quite ready yet, working on the finishing touches, will be released soon.TM" instead of a random middle of teh night no warning "oh hey guys we officially launched this game for everybody to play even though it is totally fucked up in many ways", really sounds to me like they are still striving for top quality products /sarcasm

as to your second point, i truly hope you are being sarcastic because if not, then i really have to wonder.
    The thing about MI going to warriors stems from the spell's roots as a Blademaster spell in WC 3, which falls squarely under the warrior archetype and if I'm not mistaken its other spells that are in WoW are warrior abilities too. Blink oddly enough was also a warden ability which would probably be a rogue or hunter in WoW. But there's virtually 0 chance of blizz taking them away from mages at this point, especially blink.

Quote Originally Posted by Northem View Post
    During the life of WoW has been normal that certain talents have become baseline spells available for all the mage specs. For example that happened with [Evocation], [Ice Block] or [Dragon's Breath] in the past.

What is not so normal is the opposite: making that some baseline spells become talents. In fact, that only occurred with [Scorch], but shortly after, it returned to be a baseline spell for the fire mages.

What mages cannot allow is that from an expansion to another, some baseline spells available to all mages such as [Mirror Image] or [Alter Time] become talents. Is absolutely intolerable!

The laziness and lack of imagination by the part of Blizzard are not enough reasons to commit the stupidity of fill the talent's gaps with spells that have been baseline. It's an outrage!
    With the amount of millions of dollars that each year earns Blizzard is unworthy that instead of creating new talents, they intend to make us settle for spells that we already had...

That is why we must oppose that Blizzard presents us spells that currently are baseline as new talents. They intend to steal spells we already have and then try to "sell" them to us as new talents... That is a crude hoax!
    Blizzard should think that mages are stupid! Although seeing the results of this poll it seems that Blizzard is not going very badly misguided...

[Mirror Image] and [Alter Time] should again be baseline spells immediately!

At best, we could accept that a new talent similar to [Greater Invisibility] that improves some baseline spell was created, but without "steal" the basic spell to anyone.

So I plead for the following:

Keep [Mirror Image] and [Alter Time] as baseline spells and, for example, for the level 90 talents create a new talent called [Greater Mirror Image] that enhances the [Mirror Image] spell for the mages who choose it, without having to steal the basic spell of the other mages who do not choose that talent.
    No, no and no. It's called balance. Which Magi will finally feel as they had all the tools all the time, maybe try how other classes feel when they need to chose their tools and not have a counter for everything.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raqubor View Post
    No, no and no. It's called balance. Which Magi will finally feel as they had all the tools all the time, maybe try how other classes feel when they need to chose their tools and not have a counter for everything.
    There...uhhh, there really wasn't anything in the game that MI countered.
    BfA Beta Time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Swizzlington View Post
    There...uhhh, there really wasn't anything in the game that MI countered.
    In PvP it gives you 30s snares on basically everyone attacking you, in PvE it works as a 30s long agro reset.

Edit: In PvP it also drops agro off pets and guardians, until they get killed of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Deztru View Post
    until they get killed of course.
    Which is usually after 1-2 seconds.

Does this mean I can resub to exploit the T12 set bonus that seemed to be a low dps gain, but an excellent way to have random proc mirror images attack/pull trash mobs half a room away?

What Elites do you solo leveling between 49-90 that actually require effort and do not have a gimmick? Most world elites have been removed from the game or nerfed to a normal mob, besides and MoP/Cata do not have any elites that NEED to be killed for any reason, other than to make leveling seem more dangerous. Also, again you get Alter Time at level 30 now, 19 levels before MI that lets you kite up to 15 seconds and then teleport back at full HP, which honestly is possibly more effective health than Mirror Image gives you if you can kite worth a damn.
    talking about MOP type mobs that can't be rooted. combine MI wit AT and makes solo play much easier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by amarrite View Post
    talking about MOP type mobs that can't be rooted. combine MI wit AT and makes solo play much easier.
    Okay, but during questing please give me a hard quest boss that actually requires brain input other than spam frostbolt and use quest item. The only things would possibly be Arena quests, but those are made for group play (or get a level 90 friend to carry you like 80% of all players). Even during MoP there isn't anything really difficult unless you pull too much, and if you pull too much those are mob types that can be stunned or rooted and dealt with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, but during questing please give me a hard quest boss that actually requires brain input other than spam frostbolt and use quest item. The only things would possibly be Arena quests, but those are made for group play (or get a level 90 friend to carry you like 80% of all players). Even during MoP there isn't anything really difficult unless you pull too much, and if you pull too much those are mob types that can be stunned or rooted and dealt with.
    Only one comes to mind actually, in Zul'Drak where you fight the Drakkari in the end of the Drakkari quest line. You need to avoid the voidzones he throws at you. Pop MI and he just throws at them and they don't even take damage as it is AoE damage.

I really like Mirror Image as a talent. It was disappointing and it is the kind of spell you expect on a talent tree. On the other hand it's a spell that comes from Burning Crusade and maybe it needs something more than bigger numbers to make it feel fresh and new.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deztru View Post
    Only one comes to mind actually, in Zul'Drak where you fight the Drakkari in the end of the Drakkari quest line. You need to avoid the voidzones he throws at you. Pop MI and he just throws at them and they don't even take damage as it is AoE damage.
    I think one instance in several thousand is not worth complaining about and has no merit to some of the people that want it while leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoros View Post
    I really like Mirror Image as a talent. It was disappointing and it is the kind of spell you expect on a talent tree. On the other hand it's a spell that comes from Burning Crusade and maybe it needs something more than bigger numbers to make it feel fresh and new.
    I still don't understand why they can't copy our spell rotation. It is still a flashy fire-and-forget CD, but I am honestly satisfied with it doing more than 1% of our damage.

I'm in two minds about it copying our rotation, because while it's really cool it's also pretty open to abuse.
    And if you remove the means to abuse it then it might often do less damage than it will if they have their own rotation, for instance if you need to stop casting to move, or use a defensive cooldown, or perform some boss-specific task, or interrupt something.

Something vaguely approximating my normal rotation but not actually literally mirroring the spells I am casting at the time would be the ideal I think.

I hate to bring up Diablo 3 again... but Mirror Images in Diablo 3 can cast any spell you have on your bar at the time and while that's cool as hell it's also completely insane and makes it exactly as easy to tell what is going on as you'd expect to happen when the class with the flashiest visuals in the game suddenly turns into five people, all of whom can cast Black Hole in different places.
    Last edited by Imnick; 2014-04-25 at 10:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I'm in two minds about it copying our rotation, because while it's really cool it's also pretty open to abuse.
    And if you remove the means to abuse it then it might often do less damage than it will if they have their own rotation, for instance if you need to stop casting to move, or use a defensive cooldown, or perform some boss-specific task, or interrupt something.

Something vaguely approximating my normal rotation but not actually literally mirroring the spells I am casting at the time would be the ideal I think.

I hate to bring up Diablo 3 again... but Mirror Images in Diablo 3 can cast any spell you have on your bar at the time and while that's cool as hell it's also completely insane and makes it exactly as easy to tell what is going on as you'd expect to happen when the class with the flashiest visuals in the game suddenly turns into five people, all of whom can cast Black Hole in different places.
    Yeah that is a good point. Maybe just have them programmed to do the base rotation and have like 3 base spells.

Arcane - Arcane Blast/Barrage/Missiles, they Blast 4 times, then barrage and missiles if they get their own proc.
    Fire - Fireball, if they crit they inferno blast and pyroblast.
    Frost - Frostbolt, use Ice Lance/FFB if they get appropriate proc.

Don't know if the game could track giving them buffs like that as a pet. I would imagine so, but alas I am not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoros View Post
    Being anal here, but MI came with Wrath.

Deleted
    I don't see it as a very interesting spell to have as a Talent, but assuming it will actually be a useful spell I think it might be worth a pick depending on the situation. Right now it only serves as an aggro reset and something you use before pull. I never waste a GCD on Mirror Images mid-fight unless I'm running and is unable to cast anything else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezzpify View Post
    I never waste a GCD on Mirror Images mid-fight unless I'm running and is unable to cast anything else.
    in the last fight i checked, 3x mirror images did 1.91M damage.
    Do you call 637k damage a wasted gcd?

Agree with many others, MI had a good flavor but never felt it had the matching impact in PVE, would be happy to see it becomes a real potent CD even if it means it's becoming a talent

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzpify View Post
    I don't see it as a very interesting spell to have as a Talent, but assuming it will actually be a useful spell I think it might be worth a pick depending on the situation. Right now it only serves as an aggro reset and something you use before pull. I never waste a GCD on Mirror Images mid-fight unless I'm running and is unable to cast anything else.
    Agree with this, but I always try and use it when it's up, or I anticipate needing the aggro break (aoe time, etc) or pull. I always saw MI as more defensive than offensive though. I still miss how tankly they once were (before the hp nerf).