Page 1 of 2
LastLast

So will garrisons be a gold sink or not?

This is the only quote I can find regarding Garrisons and gold: "Garrisons have their own resource, more on this soon!"
    https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/446808409736634368

But if you check the screenshots from PAX East, you can see that upgrading costs gold. Like this: http://media.mmo-champion.com/images...nWoWRAD013.jpg

Very confusing.

The screentshot in question was actually from BlizzCon and was just a mockup of what the garrison UI might look like. MMO-champion just reused it when they put together their comprehensive garrison preview last Saturday.

Actual garrisons will have their own resource apparently called "materials" from what we've seen in the game files. If there is a gold cost attached to upgrading/constructing buildings, I seriously doubt it would be anywhere close to 10,000 gold for upgrading a single building.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

if they make it gold it would be trivial for many players and a pain in the ass for the rest

so probably better not to

Goldsink? No. Cashsink? Probably.

I'm bracing myself for the inevitable letdown that will be Horde garrison designs. It'll end up being the Northrend iron keeps but with updated textures, just watch.

Of course, blizzard wil let you use other factions buildings, as long as you pay them a fee in the blizz store. Can't wait for the QQ to come when that happens.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nëgï View Post
    I'm bracing myself for the inevitable letdown that will be Horde garrison designs. It'll end up being the Northrend iron keeps but with updated textures, just watch.
    The Town Hall looks like Grommash Hold, so it's not Black Iron style.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably not. As Falrinn said, that screenshot is old mockup from Blizzcon. The screenshot is just an example of what the garrison UI could look like.

On the other hand, I'm sure someone could figure out how to make mountains of gold with garrisons if the right cards are played.

Quote Originally Posted by ClixxHeals View Post
    This is the only quote I can find regarding Garrisons and gold: "Garrisons have their own resource, more on this soon!"
    https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/446808409736634368

But if you check the screenshots from PAX East, you can see that upgrading costs gold. Like this: http://media.mmo-champion.com/images...nWoWRAD013.jpg

Very confusing.
    Check the screenshot and you see a green icon with a number in the lower left corner. That is the material currency for Garrisons probably. the reason you see a gold currency on the building might be because the currency wasn't implemented yet.

The picture you linked is from Blizzcon, not PAX. At Blizzcon they said gold would be the resource but obviously plans changed since then and we're yet to see the garrisons resource or any information on it.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Things will cost gold, but we are not planning for it to be some crazy gold sink. The feature is for everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Things will cost gold, but we are not planning for it to be some crazy gold sink. The feature is for everyone.
    I wonder if they can keep this word. I mean its very hard to resist a temptation to add extra items for real money (garrison upgrades).
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nëgï View Post

Agmar's Hammer in Dragonblight is basically the Horde version of a garrison imo. Quite sad.

I'm sure you'll be able to buy Blood Elf buildings in the Blizzard store for the low price of $25.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    The Town Hall looks like Grommash Hold, so it's not Black Iron style.
    GH is the black iron style. They updated it after Wrath with the buildings from Northrend.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I'm worried that "crazy gold sink" here means hundreds of thousands, and the actual will be tens of thousands.

With tons of upgrades, I think the costs will be reasonable. It's going to take a lot of time either way.
    Last edited by Callace; 2014-04-18 at 02:29 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    GH is the black iron style. They updated it after Wrath with the buildings from Northrend.
    The old Grommash Hold, not the new one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    The old Grommash Hold, not the new one.

Ooooh. Ok. I didn't realize that was the original name.

I bet using garrisons on a basic level will be pretty cheap.
    However if you want to max it out and everything, then you will be looking at lots and lots of gold

Deleted
    wasn't it gonna have its own resources?
    if it's gold -> i'm out. the major feature i'm looking forward to can be ruined in a second if they decide to make it gold dump.

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hypetrain View Post
    wasn't it gonna have its own resources?
    if it's gold -> i'm out. the major feature i'm looking forward to can be ruined in a second if they decide to make it gold dump.
    Yeah, that's exactly how i feel about it. I can barely maintain over 10k. It'll seriously suck if they decide to make things very costly. Making gold is one of the harder things for me to do. I have better luck with RNG on rare drops rather than selling something on the AH.

I don't see where they wouldn't be at some point. The economy on most realms is ridiculous. Seriously, non-transmog gear and beginner flowers going for 10's and sometimes 100's of gold. No bueno for the people who don't buy heirlooms, or the rare genuine newb that shows up. But at the same time I seriously doubt it'd be a huge gold sink. Not everyone has the patience to earn 1k on a daily basis.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what they've said you'll be able to fairly easily create and 'level' a garrison without being rich. If that's all you care about then I think most of us will be fine (obviously if you can't keep more than a few hundred gold you'll be hurting but that's an issue with the player since gold is stupidly easy even without focusing on it).

I wouldn't be surprised if there are gold sink items in the garrison though - a mount vendor that sells a pricey mount, etc. So it could be that garrisons aren't a gold sink in their basic form but provide some gold sink items when they're max leveled.