1. #1

    Do you get narrow focused on topping healing meters?

    As healer, I from time to time, get tempted to narrow focus on topping meters instead of doing my assigned responsibilities .

    I find myself many times instead of focusing on keeping people alive, using CDs wisely or on rotation, getting tempted to use CDs and healings, just to maximize my healing stats on meters and that's what I'm caring the most recently when healing. How often you get tempted to cheat to get top on healing meters for better attention from raid leaders? or you always care about team success and keeping ppl alive and doing your assigned healings? It has been hard for me not to focus on meters only recently...

    Edit: yeah many times being top on meters goes hand in hand with being an active, quality and good healer but sometimes lets say for example , raid is on low HP, you feel like there is no imminent thread to other raid members but instead of saving few ppl on danger, I'm like oh time to heal raid up and focus on healing raid lol. and bam important ppl die. or I use CDs in 25 man settings when I shouldnt have lol. damn in, being top on meters is so damn important for me, I cant stand being less than others lol
    Last edited by Xjev; 2014-04-23 at 03:54 PM.

  2. #2
    Brewmaster Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    1,310
    Anyone who chooses to top meters, at the expense of doing their job, is playing badly at the expense of others. I don't care what you do when the boss is on farm, but that stuff'll get your group killed in progression. If I was a healer, I wouldn't, and if I caught one of my raid group doing it on purpose, I'd drag them aside for a chat.

  3. #3
    Depends on if it's a fight that we always down successfully, and even on top of that if I have another CD available just in case.

    But honestly, usually I don't. But then again, resto shaman, so all my smart heals kind of do this for me anyway, as long as there's decent damage going out, otherwise druid HoTs tick too fast and keep up everyone too high.
    My shaman I guess if you want to see it or something.
    "It’s not what you have, or what you can do. Just being born, living your life… before you know it, you’re already special to someone."

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    32,512
    I used to when I used to measure myself against everyone else but I learned to get over it as a raider over the years. Now I don't bother when healing or dps-ing. As long as we're downing the boss in good speed and not messing up mechanics (or dying) it doesn't matter.

    That doesn't mean that I don't do my best to improve myself by analyzing my logs, just that I don't purposely mess things up to get a high number.



  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I just that I don't purposely mess things up to get a high number.
    Sometimes, I stand in the fire on heroic Galakras a bit longer than I should, for the healing.

    I'm kidding, that's what chain heal is for with all the footmen and Varian. Although I don't rush out of the fire if I'm midcast, unless I'm under like 65% already.
    My shaman I guess if you want to see it or something.
    "It’s not what you have, or what you can do. Just being born, living your life… before you know it, you’re already special to someone."

  6. #6
    I don't do much proper raiding so my only real measurement of a healer in LFR is my pure output on each encounter. At least as far as LFR goes, blowing everyone out of the water on recount usually translates to a wipe-free raid. But that's LFR where you don't really need to take advantage of the specialities of each healer, everyone pretty much just does everything.
    One cannot simply quit wow his way into Mordor.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    As healer, I from time to time, get tempted to narrow focus on topping meters instead of doing my assigned responsibilities .

    I find myself many times instead of focusing on keeping people alive, using CDs wisely or on rotation, getting tempted to use CDs and healings, just to maximize my healing stats on meters and that's what I'm caring the most recently when healing. How often you get tempted to cheat to get top on healing meters for better attention from raid leaders? or you always care about team success and keeping ppl alive and doing your assigned healings? It has been hard for me not to focus on meters only recently...

    Edit: yeah many times being top on meters goes hand in hand with being an active, quality and good healer but sometimes lets say for example , raid is on low HP, you feel like there is no imminent thread to other raid members but instead of saving few ppl on danger, I'm like oh time to heal raid up and focus on healing raid lol. and bam important ppl die. or I use CDs in 25 man settings when I shouldnt have lol. damn in, being top on meters is so damn important for me, I cant stand being less than others lol
    As long as people are not dying and the meter you looking at does not include overhealing its fine.

  8. #8
    Scarab Lord Grubjuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Spook central
    Posts
    4,137
    the purpose of playing a game is to have fun
    are you having fun?

    if yes... no problem.
    .


    When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

  9. #9
    Doing mechanics properly doesn't have to make your healing suffer. It's all about planning where to move your character ahead of time and which spells you're going to cast while moving. It takes quite a bit of practice to get really good at this; and it's what creates the massive discrepancy between an excellent players and an average one. I recommend watching some streams of players that are in top 100 world guilds; because most of them are aware of this concept.

    "Remember your ABC's: Always be Casting" Sparty -> http://www.twitch.tv/spartysmallwood

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    the purpose of playing a game is to have fun
    are you having fun?

    if yes... no problem.
    Unless you are causing wipes. Then thats either 9 or 24 other people not having fun, which makes you an asshole. Like others said, most people wait until farm to do dumb stuff to top meters. Dont do it on progression, and if you guys are struggling because of healing.. go back to playing correctly and move on. Dont waste everyone else's time.

  11. #11
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    Posts
    11,204
    Not in real raids.

    Sometimes I pad the heal meters in LFR by just mindlessly spamming AoE heals, but that's mostly because it's fuckall boring healing LFR and beating the other heals is like a minigame to entertain myself.
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxArleeSimcaElysiaZaelsino

  12. #12
    That's the problem with healing right now. The only fun to be had from healing (from my own personal experience), is being competitive on meters. Rarely is there ever organization anymore on selective healing as heals/CD's are so strong that it's too easy to top people off, the only real coordination for healing on most fights is raid CD order. Hopefully they get it right this time on healing in WoD and tone down healing/smart healing a bit so the gameplay isn't so boring.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •