Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Academic interviews with dedicated WoW players

Hello and good morning,

As part of a seminar on virtual property (final year of law school), I'm looking for dedicated (how you define dedicated is completely up to you) WoW players who would be willing to give a written interview (via whatever viable medium they prefer). The interview will only use the name of the WoW character provided (nothing else - no names, no email/facebook/etc), and will focus on the Personhood Perspective and Labor Theory, i.e. how players view their characters (who as we know, technically belong to Blizzard), who they think the characters should belong to and why, and how they would feel if they were stripped of those characters.

The interview won't be long - I assume it would take about 15-20 minutes to answer the questions.

Oh, and of course the reason - I will be claiming that the players themselves should be the owners of the virtual property (in this case the account and all its characters), since the work that is put in along with the "relationship" they have with the characters dictate so. Having the interviews would go a long way towards helping me ascertain this claim.

Those who are interested can PM me here to work out a method of communication.
    Thanks in advance (firstly for reading, then some more if you choose to assist)

Liara

Edit - As per Gimlix's suggestion, here are the questions (if you respond, please provide the name (no armory links needed) of your character of choice - otherwise I'll use the MMOChamp username by default):

1. How many hours have you put into your characters (overall and roughly)?

2. Do you feel there's more to the connection between you and your characters than just "puppeteer" and "puppet"?

3. Who do you think should be the legal owner of the characters (i.e. the current situation where Blizzard owns all accounts, should the player be the owner, etc.)? Why?

4. If you were to receive a message that your account has been deactivated due to *random reason*, would you feel as though your work was taken?

5. If you were to receive a message that your account has been deactivated due to *random reason*, would you feel as though a small part of you has gone missing?

6. How do you view your characters? (e.g. an extension of yourself / a product you have worked on / etc.)

Thanks again to all who choose to assist!
    Last edited by Liara; 2014-04-20 at 08:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Put down question list on here, people will response faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

10+ Year Old Account
    Name: Gimlix

If i do /played on all characters it would match to a total of: 200 days (in total of 3 years time) 200x24 = 4800 hours total

2. Do you feel there's more to the connection between you and your characters than just "puppeteer" and "puppet"?
    Yes over the years you grow into your character and don't want to lose it, because you have been through things in real life and through game life and things you dealt with by playing your character(s), so yes i feel connected.

3. Who do you think should be the legal owner of the characters (i.e. the current situation where Blizzard owns all accounts, should the player be the owner, etc.)? Why?
    The legal owner should remain the person who owns the account.

4. If you were to receive a message that your account has been deactivated due to *random reason*, would you feel as though your work was taken?
    I would feel upset and sad because i spent so much into my account but i will move on in time.

5. If you were to receive a message that your account has been deactivated due to *random reason*, would you feel as though a small part of you has gone missing?
    Yes, my childhood would dissapear.

6. How do you view your characters? (e.g. an extension of yourself / a product you have worked on / etc.)
    A piece of art i worked hard on over my childhood.

Hope i gave you the information that you needed.

Thank you Gimlix!

How many hours have you put into your characters (overall and roughly)?
    I'm at least at 2 years /played I don't care to know beyond that

I'm not really sure what you're asking here. My character is a puppet, but I love my character, just like how puppeteers care for their puppets, and how their puppets have personalities. Hell, I consider [most of] my stuffed animals to be living things basically.

I dont know. I accept blizzard has control, I don't think accounts should be sold, but at the same time I don't really care either way. I play by the rules, so I dont see any harm

Id probably go insane. Cry for weeks, be unable to eat, work. Id slip into a huge depression, one I don't think I could recover from for a very long time. I would feel like my work was taken, Id feel like a part of me died, because it would have.

Small? No. Large.

Extension of myself mostly. Its my second life.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Name - Titân

I have put in total of 8615 hours of my toons I have played over the course of 6 years which equals out to 358.9 total days played plus the AFK time however much that is lol

I do, I have made friends over the years that I still talk to this day. Some people only know me as my gnome or as my orc over the years we have raided/pvp with each other.

3. Who do you think should be the legal owner of the characters (i.e. the current situation where Blizzard owns all accounts, should the player be the owner, etc.)? Why? I agree Blizz should be the owner of my characters on my account it is there servers we play on we agree to thier terms of service with them as well so why wouldn't they be the owners?

4. If you were to receive a message that your account has been deactivated due to *random reason*, would you feel as though your work was taken?I would feel that I have wasted a massive amount of time with my life on this game and have nothing to show for it. So I think I would feel like my work would have been robbed from me if I didnt commit the infraction.

5. If you were to receive a message that your account has been deactivated due to *random reason*, would you feel as though a small part of you has gone missing? I would not feel as if a part of me is gone, I can walk away from the game for extened peroids of time and did not feel like something was missing in my life.

6. How do you view your characters? (e.g. an extension of yourself / a product you have worked on / etc.) I feel as if my characters are a extention of my personality, even more so with which mounts I like to use titles and how you can choose to dress them. Same with chosing the name of character.
    Last edited by timtim89; 2014-04-20 at 09:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warning for next time, please do not bump your own thread.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhm.. My current main? ~10 days /played. All my mains added up? 3-400 days.

My character is, to me, an extension of myself.

I accepted that the character is Blizzard's the moment I made it. They are in their right to do whatever they want with it, and I, as a consumer, is in my right to stop paying them if I don't agree with what they do.

I'd feel cheated yes, and I'd most likely try to appeal it as I don't feel like throwing away what is essentially a year of 24/7 work, and several 100 euros.

As I said, my character is in some way an extension of myself. So yes.

Already answered this. (It's also extremely similar to question 2, to the point of being basicly the same question)

Name: Amanitroll

215 days 17hours, over 6 years.

yes, this is not the only mmo I play, and I feel the same conecction with my characters from other games too.

I am the owner, I've already payed for them.

of course, and I've had this problem before with blizz, my account was hacked once some years ago while I was on vacations, when I came back my account was already banned by Blizz, it was a big problem to restore it an unbann it.

of course, is time and effort spent.

extension of myself.
    OBEY THE PUG!

Many thanks to everyone who replied, you have all been a tremendous help.
    Feel free to keep answering, the more the merrier

You can pm me with the questions as well and I'll answer. I'm a lawyer myself, and though I don't practice in IP law I obviously have a vested interest as an online game player for 2 decades now.

Name: Memorize

Across all characters roughly 9936 hours, or 414 days

Yes

I don't like the idea of just renting the account from Blizzard like it is now, but I don't think it would work out too well if the player was the owner.

Definitely, considering the amount of time I've put into the game and everything I achieved I would be very upset.

Yes, although I don't know how to explain it

An extension of myself

I am in need of some clarification. The "random reason" stated in these questions sounds a bit ambiguous. Do you literally mean the reason for deactivation would be random, or do you mean 'for whatever reason'. If the second, you misformulated your questionnaire so suggestively your research is completely invalid.

The focus isn't the reason for the loss, so much as the loss itself and what impact it would have on the player (even if the loss came from a completely legitimate reason).

1. How many hours have you put into your characters (overall and roughly)? I don't know I canceled my sub, so I have no way of knowing.

2. Do you feel there's more to the connection between you and your characters than just "puppeteer" and "puppet"? I am the puppet master

3. Who do you think should be the legal owner of the characters (i.e. the current situation where Blizzard owns all accounts, should the player be the owner, etc.)? Why? Blizzard, it's their game.

4. If you were to receive a message that your account has been deactivated due to *random reason*, would you feel as though your work was taken? Playing a game recreationally isn't work, it's play.

5. If you were to receive a message that your account has been deactivated due to *random reason*, would you feel as though a small part of you has gone missing? No, because the game is still in my memory.

6. How do you view your characters? (e.g. an extension of yourself / a product you have worked on / etc.) a product
    Last edited by muto; 2014-04-21 at 11:32 AM.

I am a jurist myself and I am interested on your approach on the topic. I would like to help, but I can't answer the questionnaire because my subscription is currently inactive and I can't answer to the first question.
    Last edited by Memory; 2014-04-21 at 01:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Liara, i am happy that people are responding. The best luck with your project!

200 days on my Main, around 60 assorted days on my alts.

No.

Doesn't matter to me.

No, though I would feel that my time has been somewhat wasted.

No, I would just play League of Legends or something.

A product that has been polished over the years.