Poll: How do you prefer to explore in this game?

10+ Year Old Account

Question Exploration of Azeroth: How did YOU do it?

In another thread, on a separate forum, there was an interesting comment about Exploration. One party contended the majority of exploration in the game was done on the ground, while another stated it was likely primarily done from the air. So it got me wondering:

When you explore, do you do it on foot, on a ground mount, on a flying mount... or not at all?

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well there is a poll option missing for "both" so I can't vote I'm afraid, But I do it with both flying and ground.

Did it before cata so i had to do it the old fashion ground mount way. Though me and my friend switched out who explored the zone by using 2 seated ground mounts and switching drivers every couple of zones :P.

EDIT: Thought you meant the world explorer achieve lol. Probably should of read the post =s. In this case, on a flying mount.

I've got to give it to you, I don't think i've ever seen someone quite as dedicated to you for the flying cause.

Anyway I did it on ground pre-flying in azeroth.

EDIT: Thought you meant achieve

Now as the top level game is bases around flying, I do it by flight obviously.

Stood in the Fire eldritchforeshadow's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I first started playing WOW back in BC, it was on foot. I tried to explore as much as I could even in zones where my item level was too low to venture forth lol. It was fun getting chased by angry demons and monsters and getting killed lots of times trying to explore; I loved it! It scared me and put that sense of adventure and danger in me. And of course once I got a ground mount, I did the rest of my exploration riding on my wolf.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've said this before, and I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but MMOC is a very poor litmus for popularity. Because the average player never touches the forums. If Afrasiabi (sp?) says it's split 50-50, then I am either inclined to believe him or that he is exaggerating in his favor.

Got the explorer title prior to flying mounts in Azeroth. The idea that you can fly around with the zone map full screened, and just steer your way to a zone explore achievement says all that it needs to about the player involvement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    I've got to give it to you, I don't think i've ever seen someone quite as dedicated to you for the flying cause.
    Just not interested in Blizz removing a component of my Character Class in current content.

But we all know about that thread.

As for this thread, the first time I explored was on foot, in TBC, until I got my ground mount. Once I had a flying mount in Wrath, I completed my World Explorer title from the sky. Every zone since then has been cleared from the sky.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Got the explorer title prior to flying mounts in Azeroth. The idea that you can fly around with the zone map full screened, and just steer your way to a zone explore achievement says all that it needs to about the player involvement.
    If they are only just clearing it for the achievement... sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    On foot, like it was meant to be done !

Both. When levelling through a zone, by ground, but after that I'll often explore places I noticed while flying around.

Is this another attempt to justify/unjustify no-flying on WoD?

In your poll there is no option to answer "all and any ways", which makes it fail.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well mine is a bit of both, but I guess most of it is discovered when I quest in the leveling-up process. Back when I was new to the game I played on my sister's account and I had an urge to discover all the hidden parts of the map, so I explored every nook and cranny (Which clearly wasn't every sub-zone when the achievements hit in WotLK). It's always best to do so when you level because you can get the XP bonuses, and those little bits really do help!

Flying definitely does help with some areas that are hard to get to. Ranazjar Isle involved swimming from the mainland and back. At least you have to use the ground mount for the TBC starting zones, and some of those sub-zones are quite annoying to discover. At least we get achievements for the effort now.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

10+ Year Old Account
    I picked up explorer on two characters with ground mounts back in Wrath, before we had account-wide achievements. It was a lot of fun.

Now I ground mount wherever I go unless I'm heading to raid or our team's challenge modes; they wouldn't be too happy waiting for me to show up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I picked up explorer on two characters with ground mounts back in Wrath, before we had account-wide achievements. It was a lot of fun.
    I did that too as a lowbie by using exploits and dying a lot! Once was enough for me though. It was very amusing at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Dreamer View Post
    Is this another attempt to justify/unjustify no-flying on WoD?

In your poll there is no option to answer "all and any ways", which makes it fail.
    And yet others appear to be answering without issue. You are correct, there is a fail, but it is not what you think it is.

I don't have the title, never bothered to get it and if I did it would be with flying because I'd just be achievement hunting. On Draenor I'll likely get that ticked next to "Pandaria/Cataclysm" in the compilation box because I'll want to do so. Not being able to fly will just make it more exciting for me.

I'll look at a shack on the side of a mountain and think "How do I get there?" and start actively thinking rather than pushing "mount dragon" and float no-clip style directly to it.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

i used both, though i still have to finish outland and i think pandaria.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

15+ Year Old Account
    Got the achievements (exploration and loremaster) before Cataclysm. Cataclysm was designed around flying so I did those zones with flying, but all the other expansions have had flying restricted up to max level, so you'd explore on the ground as you quested.

Exploration is more fun on the ground. Then when flying unlocks, you get to go to places that were previously out of reach.

Much more fulfilling than giving you flying right away, IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both, first on food then by flight when I was able.

Nothing really beats the exploring when you're new to the game though. Forget leveling, half the time I was climbing every damn mountain and junk out there. lol

P.S. You forgot swimming. I once swam most of the way around the Eastern Kingdoms...