Should I be concerned about my dog?

Right, so my dog(not a puppy) has suddently become very overprotective of a toy I bought him last week, he didnt really care that much about it untill earlier today where he suddently took it outside(into the garden) and just walked around digging a hole, dropping it to hide it, afterwards he just stood there looking for good 10-15 seconds & decided that it shouldnt be dug down right there so he took it somewhere else to dig it down, is this normal? Ive only had him for a few weeks(got him from a shelter) and I'm not sure who the owner was and if he did anything wrong, am I just overreacting or is there something wrong? My friends dog has never done this even though they're the same breed.

Your dog likes his toy and is protective. Nothing to be worried about imo, my dog does this with single bits of food. Yet he'll let you take his entire food bowl.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathias View Post
    Right, so my dog(not a puppy) has suddently become very overprotective of a toy I bought him last week, he didnt really care that much about it untill earlier today where he suddently took it outside(into the garden) and just walked around digging a hole, dropping it to hide it, afterwards he just stood there looking for good 10-15 seconds & decided that it shouldnt be dug down right there so he took it somewhere else to dig it down, is this normal? Ive only had him for a few weeks(got him from a shelter) and I'm not sure who the owner was and if he did anything wrong, am I just overreacting or is there something wrong? My friends dog has never done this even though they're the same breed.
    Dog isn't being overprotective of the toy he just deems it a high reward and will bury it for later when he chooses to play with it. My dogs have buried bones and other toys in places around the house for later use also buried things in the yard to eat later as well. Some dogs value things differently then other dogs some dogs might not care about the toy as much as your dog does.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Is he being aggressive over it or digging holes where he shouldn't be?
    He's not letting me anywhere near his toy unless I'm sitting near him for a while, as if he wants to make sure I wont do anything towards him & just play along.

He's not letting me anywhere near his toy unless I'm sitting near him for a while, as if he wants to make sure I wont do anything towards him & just play along.
    If that is the case I would try and nip it in the butt before it escalates any further then what it is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Yami View Post
    If that is the case I would try and nip it in the butt before it escalates any further then what it is right now.
    (Actually had to look up what "Nip it in the butt" ment), but I guess, how though?

(Actually had to look up what "Nip it in the butt" ment), but I guess, how though?
    Well you can always try and trade toys with him or give him something that is higher value so he gives you back the toy you just gave him for the higher reward. Like a treat or something and also try and teach him a command or trick to give you back the toy when you want it.

Deleted
    As has been said before, if your dog doesn't allow you access to the toy, then you need to put him in his place. Your dog owns nothing. You do. In fact, every human being should have access to that toy. That's the pecking order.

Take it away from him while he can see you doing it. Don't hide it or sneak it. Show him you are the boss. Establish early that you are the master and that item or food protectiveness stops when it comes to you and your family. You don't want that behavior taking hold and growing.

Nothing to worry about, natural behaviour. However, if he's not allowing you near the toy, you really need, as others mentioned, to "nip this in the butt" before it grows worse (and it will).

In light of how you worded your question and your seeming inexperience about dogs, I'd highly suggest you get a book or a site and read up about dogs. I think that will save you a lot of headaches and worrying moments later. Do yourself and your dog that favor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Take it away from him while he can see you doing it. Don't hide it or sneak it. Show him you are the boss. Establish early that you are the master and that item or food protectiveness stops when it comes to you and your family. You don't want that behavior taking hold and growing.
    That's really bad advice. You don't know this person or the dog or the situation and it can escalate in a bite and it wouldn't even be the dog's fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing you need to worry about is if he's possessive aggressive. In that case, you should get him training and if that fails, euthanize him. Possessive aggressive dogs are problems waiting to happen... Dogs need to know that you're the master and all the power is yours, not theirs. Try to use a broom and take the toy away, or step on it and stress your dominance. If he doesn't do anything and backs up, that means he knows you control the power, if he turns aggressive and starts biting the broom/foot, then you have a problem that will cost a couple thousand in dog training.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    The only thing you need to worry about is if he's possessive aggressive. In that case, you should get him training and if that fails, euthanize him. Possessive aggressive dogs are problems waiting to happen... Dogs need to know that you're the master and all the power is yours, not theirs. Try to use a broom and take the toy away, or step on it and stress your dominance. If he doesn't do anything and backs up, that means he knows you control the power, if he turns aggressive and starts biting the broom/foot, then you have a problem that will cost a couple thousand in dog training.
    That's bullshit too, thank goodness. Couple of thousands? Come on. Euthananize? WHat are you, trying to scare him? Possessiveness will always lead to aggression no matter the species or situation. A child will hit the other child if it wants to take his toy. So will the dog. Unless taught or shown otherwise. If he's not (trying to be) aggressive during his possessiveness, he's not being possessive.

In general, advice that comes down to "show him you're boss" is always bad advice, as I said in my previous post. None of you are qualified dog trainers and none of you know this guy or his dog, you have no way to guarantee the guy or the dog's safety. Best thing OP can do is read up, because his knowledge about dogs is very limited. That alone will likely help him tons. He should also ask his veterinary or a trainer for advice.

Good grief people, the saying is "nip it in the bud".

Anyway, it's natural behavior but it needs to be controlled. Practice taking the toy off him and making him sit and stay before giving it back. He needs to learn that you are the boss, but also "good behavior = I get nice things".

Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    That's really bad advice. You don't know this person or the dog or the situation and it can escalate in a bite and it wouldn't even be the dog's fault.
    It's the only good advice. If you think otherwise you have no business owning or being around a dog.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    In general, advice that comes down to "show him you're boss" is always bad advice, as I said in my previous post. None of you are qualified dog trainers and none of you know this guy or his dog, you have no way to guarantee the guy or the dog's safety. Best thing OP can do is read up, because his knowledge about dogs is very limited. That alone will likely help him tons. He should also ask his veterinary or a trainer for advice.
    Please stop talking, because you haven't a clue about dog psychology or how one trains the animals.

The internet is thataway should you choose to educate yourself and come back to participate.

My dog goes crazy over socks, if I'm putting my socks on she will grab one and run out the doggy door into the backyard with it. It pisses me off, so I have to be careful when putting on socks.

Moderately concerned. It should be your toy, and it should be you who allow him to play with it - this is generally thought to be a healthy relationship between a man and a dog. You need to be the pack leader, the alpha male.

Best you can do is to ask veterinaries or consult any dog trainer in your area, for an more accurate & educated opinion.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance