Watch Dogs & Misleading Game Trailers - The Point

I felt this needed a thread because I agree 100% with the video.

As time go's on in the gaming world gamers are getting more involved with the development of games. So ill be the first person to be happy when miss leading game trailers and gameplays come to a end. We do see them a little be less then we use.

So here is my question since every thread needs one.

How much longer do you think it will be until miss leading trailers/gameplay comes to a end and how do you think it will impact games.

The video below was made by Gamespot/Danny and I highly recommend watching it before replying. Also "Not to advertise I do recommend watching his other The point Videos" I personally think they are the best thing Gamespot is doing right now.

Also don't let your hate for Gamespot pre-judge this video

Another thing in the video I agree with is that these miss leading trailers/gameplays are false avertisement and I feel companys should have to pay for it. Sadly at this time they don't look what Sega/Gearbox got away with when it comes to ACM.

Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    This trailer reminded me of how movie trailers sometimes reveal too much of what happens. Tbh Video game trailers should give us some gameplay but not blatantly show us off everything. Showing us too much will make it(Non MMO games) not as desirable. At least to me.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    This trailer reminded me of how movie trailers sometimes reveal too much of what happens. Tbh Video game trailers should give us some gameplay but not blatantly show us off everything. Showing us too much will make it(Non MMO games) not as desirable. At least to me.
    I agree 100%. There is game trailers out there that do reveal a bit more then they should.

I like simple gameplay trailers or just CGI is ok. But if you pull a ACM 'Will post video below" you should have ur game removed/shutdown. The thing with watch dogs I can get why people got mad by at lease it isn't 100% different then the ACM video.

I get companys need to spice up there videos a little "Like the difference in watch dogs 2012 and now" but when its on the scale of ACM then as I said the game should be forced to shutdown due to false avertisement.

But in truth I wish they wouldn't spice up there videos at all and just let the game sell itself.

To me there is a line and Ubisoft dam near crossed it with the recent Watch Dogs videos. But Watch Dogs still looks amazing and fan and because its not as different as night and day im ok with it so far.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Deleted
    I don't really get what point he is trying to make, he says that publishers show stuff that isn't from the games themselves, but that this is happening less and less now anyway because the consumer is getting pissed off with it. The problem does seem to be sorting itself out so what's the issue? Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticpaddy View Post
    I don't really get what point he is trying to make, he says that publishers show stuff that isn't from the games themselves, but that this is happening less and less now anyway because the consumer is getting pissed off with it. The problem does seem to be sorting itself out so what's the issue? Am I missing something?
    Like I said the problem is slowly sorting itself out but like I asked how long will it take.

MMO's are a really good example of showing off ZERO of what the game really is. Look at all the trailers for ESO and yet look at the gameplay. Then you get games like Duke Nukem Forever/ACM both showing really good "Gameplay" but the end product is crap.

I get CGI trailers like ESO dose but companys should also be forced to show off Gameplay trailers while at the sametime not reveal any major content/spoilers.

Like I said how long do you guys think it will take for it to finally end.

If a game is good it will sell itself in my opinion and because of that there is no reason to spice up Gameplay Videos/Trailers.

If you still have a TV in your house turn it on an look at the advertisments. To this day, they keep showing of fake shit in their advertisments. It will never change, unless there is a law that cracks down so hard on the marketing guys that they all have to start doing honest work or live in cartbox if they don't.

Actually, the PC previews of Watchdogs have shown that it'll have the same kindof visual fidelity that the trailers have shown. The consoles will have the downscaled graphics.

Huge surprise, I know, to have the trailers depicting it running on the most technologically powerful platform.

Now, if you want to talk about deceiving gameplay trailers as far as graphics go, I'll point you straight to Dark Souls 2, which had its entire gorgeous lighting system completely gutted and removed. Said lighting system will not be included with the PC version when it releases next week, either. That's not going to stop me from playing the SHIT out of it, but that's beside the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Actually, the PC previews of Watchdogs have shown that it'll have the same kindof visual fidelity that the trailers have shown. The consoles will have the downscaled graphics.

Huge surprise, I know, to have the trailers depicting it running on the most technologically powerful platform.
    Trust me I get that 100%. But you would think "Hey we are at a expo that reveals games that are mainly console so we should show off console graphic games and not power house pc's"

See thats where the line is. I get PC's are better if you drop the money in them and I get Watch Dogs will look that way on PC. But when all your trailers up to a couple months before the games release show PC graphics and yet none of your trailers say this then its miss leading and false avertisement.

Each trailer should state "PC Graphics X Setting or Console X Graphics"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    If you still have a TV in your house turn it on an look at the advertisments. To this day, they keep showing of fake shit in their advertisments. It will never change, unless there is a law that cracks down so hard on the marketing guys that they all have to start doing honest work or live in cartbox if they don't.
    I agree and as a consumer I feel there needs to be laws in place to put a end to the flase avertisements.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Trust me I get that 100%. But you would think "Hey we are at a expo that reveals games that are mainly console so we should show off console graphic games and not power house pc's"

See thats where the line is. I get PC's are better if you drop the money in them and I get Watch Dogs will look that way on PC. But when all your trailers up to a couple months show PC graphics and yet none of your trailers say this then its miss leading and false avertisement.

Each trailer should state "PC Graphics X Setting or Console X Graphics"
    That would be pretty unwise marketing though. They'd be downplaying themselves. If anything that would be huge, huge negative press for something that is, as you say, apparently supposed to cater to a console-centric crowd. Generally though, a smart consumer should be able to say to themselves 'this is a preview for a game coming out on both pc and consoles. Chances are I'm looking at the pc version in this trailer.'

Unless a trailer specifically says it's being run on a console, it's pretty much always being run on a PC. Hell, even console-only games typically have their trailers rendered on developer's PCs, though their devkits.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2014-04-19 at 08:01 PM.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree and as a consumer I feel there needs to be laws in place to put a end to the flase avertisements.
    Most countries do have laws, but like most laws they were made in ancient times and either give way to much leeway in the interpretation or they don't apply to this, because they are only apply to posters nailed to the towns notice board by the local bell man.

Unless a trailer specifically says it's being run on a console, it's pretty much always being run on a PC. Hell, even console-only games typically have their trailers rendered on developer's PCs, though their devkits.
    Thats why I think its BS. If its a console only game like for example Zelda then it should show console graphics.

I get it isn't smart marketing but false avertisement isn't good for them ether. We here in the US "Don't know about other countrys" need better consumer laws and it should clearly state on any trailer that its being ran on X system at X settings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Most countries do have laws, but like most laws they were made in ancient times and either give way to much leeway in the interpretation or they don't apply to this, because they are only apply to posters nailed to the towns notice board by the local bell man.
    Yep and thats why the laws really do need to be updated.

10+ Year Old Account
    MMO's are a really good example of showing off ZERO of what the game really is. Look at all the trailers for ESO and yet look at the gameplay.

I get CGI trailers like ESO dose but companys should also be forced to show off Gameplay trailers while at the sametime not reveal any major content/spoilers.
    To be fair ESO and most MMO's in general show off plenty of gameplay before they are released. There's a difference between companies releasing fraudulent information and people making uninformed purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    To be fair ESO and most MMO's in general show off plenty of gameplay before they are released. There's a difference between companies releasing fraudulent information and people making uninformed purchases.
    True I may be wrong on that example. What I was getting at was the trailers of the game and yet no gameplay revealed until about 2 months before its release.

Now, if you want to talk about deceiving gameplay trailers as far as graphics go, I'll point you straight to Dark Souls 2, which had its entire gorgeous lighting system completely gutted and removed. Said lighting system will not be included with the PC version when it releases next week, either. That's not going to stop me from playing the SHIT out of it, but that's beside the point.
    Not quite as deceiving when the company goes on the record stating when and why it was removed, several months before release.

True I may be wrong on that example. What I was getting at was the trailers of the game and yet no gameplay revealed until about 2 months before its release.
    There was gameplay well before that. They showed a dungeon at QuakeCon which was in August of 2013, like 8 months before launch. There was video of gameplay before that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    There was gameplay well before that. They showed a dungeon at QuakeCon which was in August of 2013, like 10 months before launch.
    K ill give them that then. I wasn't trying to put ESO on the spot just mainly using it was a example I guess I picked bad.

I personally knew of QuakeCon but I didn't know anything about it or what it showed so that would explain why I missed that viewing.

My point was just showing CGI trailers for a long time without gameplay trailers or gameplay trailers that are spiced up is shitty.

Companys should show the product for what it is and let it sell itself.

Trust me I like a CGI trailer and live action one as much as the next person but when it comes to gameplay trailers let it be 100% of what the product is.

Edit: But don't just show CGI trailers and promis the world.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2014-04-19 at 08:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    MMO's are another beast altogether IMO. MMO's usually are a ever lasting purchase. Single gmaes like Watchdog are another thing.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't be held legally accountable for "false advertisement" in a trailer... that's just insipid. "Showing you" something isn't promising you something. Many video game trailers have events in cinematics that never happen verabatim in game... see, WoW, Bioshock, Assassin's creed, etc, etc. There aren't any crash-test safety ratings or FDA standards that video games have to conform to and inform you of.

As for the subject at hand, you have the complete ability to read reviews and gauge how good a video game is before you buy it. Sure, a company can make a "misleading" game trailer, but if you're blindly buying games based on the merit that they just came out, well, then... can't really say it's anyone but your own fault for buying it without knowing what you're buying.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The recent PC trailer doesn't look anything close to the 2012 E3 demo which is what people are comparing it to when they talk about graphics downgrade.

The rest of the trailers are all running on ps4 dev kits with tools used to touch up the image quality with extra AA and what not as is the norm in ubisoft trailers.

As far as games looking like their trailers on PC, sometimes but it's rare. In most situations trailers are touched up in video editing programs to the point where you would struggle to get the same image quality on a high end build.