10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb I wonder if this would work..

..or would probaly explode into my face:

Anyway its a railgun cut on half. In the middle is a plasma generator that forces atoms going up and down by magnets (very powerfull ones). The right part is pretty much the same as normal guns.
    You shut a bullet---bullet hits a hot atoms---instanty gets hot to 2000*C and then it goes out at speed faster than sound. It would probaly look like lazer from star wars

Don't sweat the details!!!

How do you get it up to 88mph to get the 1.1 jiggawatts of electricity?.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    How do you get it up to 88mph to get the 1.1 jiggawatts of electricity?.
    With some advanced battery (wich stil needs to be massproduced). Micro fuel cells would work:

They already use them in some telephones.

Its mostly due to a fast refill. You only need Methanol.
    http://www.mtimicrofuelcells.com/technology/how.asp

Its also easier to carry. So you can have more--) more --) more energy
    Last edited by Yunru; 2014-04-19 at 07:46 PM.

I don't think it would work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by catbeef View Post
    the 1.21 jiggawatts is to power the flux capacitor, the 88mph speed is all about resonance
    It's not "jiggawatts."

It's gigawatt.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-b...2.wav=gigawatt

Look, if it's in the goddamn dictionary, pronounced the way it is, then you better damn believe it's right.

Anyhow. conventional bullets are here to stay for a very long time. They work. They are simple. They require very little materials. Operating and maintaining a conventional firearm is something that you can pretty much train anybody to do. You can build a gun out of old pipe fittings if you are in a pinch. They have a relatively short production cycle.

If the reds landed on the shores of the US right now, the government has the option of going around and handling out surplus assault rifles to men women and children and asking them to shoot any communists that come rolling by.

A super complicated ancient aliens plasma rifle does not give you that option.

Depends on what the ammunition is. Most of the time, though, bullets are cheap.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Another consideration of rifle warfare is the fact that 99.99% of shots fired are either missed shots or covering fire. The slugs that a 'rail gun' shoots might look simple, but they have to be uber precision machined. Which means lots of labour and high tech equipment to manufacture. Which means very costly to produce. And like the guy above me says, bullets in most cases are pretty cheap. 3 cents per shot if you buy surplus ammo on ebay. I'm sure the government gets theirs for less than a penny a shot thanks to the economy of scale.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2014-04-19 at 08:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Another consideration of rifle warfare is the fact that 99.99% of shots fired are either missed shots or covering fire. The slugs that a 'rail gun' shoots might look simple, but they have to be uber precision machined. Which means lots of labour and high tech equipment to manufacture. Which means very costly to produce. And like the guy above me says, bullets in most cases are pretty cheap. 3 cents per shot if you buy surplus ammo on ebay. I'm sure the government gets theirs for less than a penny a shot thanks to the economy of scale.
    The problem with normal bullets is that they cant penetrate that much (unles you go on some huge caliber). Plazma however gets over everything (new bazokas work a similar way) + you can use this weapon in rapid fire. Now think of a enemy soldier morale when the plazma penetrates a wall and burns his comrade, killing him instantly. Or where a single plazma shot knocks out a tank and even explosion prevention shield wont work.

Probaly those kind a weapons would be banned .