Page 1 of 2
LastLast

LARP and LARPing

So I was at Comic-Con FanX in Salt Lake City this weekend. Completely awesome! Got a photo with Patrick Stewart! Anywho, I dabbled in some LARPing back in the day with my little brother and had a blast. While I was there I came across the booth called LARP the movie and they were raising money via kickstarter for their film. Now I have seen a lot of projects on Kickstarter and backed a handful that showed promise, but I felt the need to come and tell you all about it on here because to be quite frank, I was blown away by the content that they showed me.

The biggest draw for me was not necessarily that it was about LARP, but how they were going in the direction of showing all geek/nerd culture as being complete bad asses. I rarely get this enthused about a project I see on Kickstarter, but this thing is awesome. I backed it and I wanted to share it everywhere that I could. So to all my fellow mmo-champ people I strongly suggest that you at least check this out. Especially if you ever LARPed or wanted to try it.

www.larpthemovie.com

I really hope these guys reach their goal.

I'm not going to lie. I admire what they're doing, but this looks pretty bland. I watched both videos including the pitch video, and while I understand this is supposed to be an adventure comedy, I think it's going to be funny in the wrong places.

Hopefully these guys can make the actual thing pretty awesome, but if the final product is anywhere near as cheesy as what's in the pitch (and that includes the fight choreography), I don't think it'll be that good. But then again, I'm not their target audience. So maybe I'm just an asshole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hail Xanthia!

I just can't take LARP'ers seriously.

It sounds fun, but I don't think that I could ever LARP. I am too shy in public.

I clicked the link but still don't know what "LARP" is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post

Enough Said.

Live Action Role Playing.

Instead of playing dungeons and dragons in a table top with a small plastic figurine representing your character in the game you play it in a field/park/wide open space and you are physically representing the character you are playing. Just don't go trying to summon any succubi.

Last edited by Cernunnos; 2014-04-20 at 10:04 PM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

cringe as fuck
    Choptimus
    <Prime>
    10man #18 EU
    25man #76 EU

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post

Enough Said.
    Beat me to it lol
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    [video=youtube;KZ04mfAY2BU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ04mfAY2BU[video]
    Enough Said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    Live Action Role Playing.

Instead of playing dungeons and dragons in a table top with a small plastic figurine representing your character in the game you play it in a field/park/wide open space and you are physically representing the character you are playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Live action roleplay

People go dress up as knights or whatever and smack each other in the park with their fake swords.
    Thanks for the explanation. I'm not quite sure how to respond further.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Live action roleplay

People go dress up as knights or whatever and smack each other in the park with their fake swords.
    there are some serious LARPERs with actual weapons/shields/armor and they go all out crazy in war. my friend went and he came back with a broken leg/arm...said it was well worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to stuff like that when I was in... fourth grade. My friends and I would make up little characters and we'd play-fight each other in a corner of the playground field during recess.

Video games superseded my interest in that, though.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Think of it like kids playing but with adults and more items than just wooden sticks.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    okay fair enough

- - - Updated - - -

well hello

Rofl, I joined the LARPing club but my friend and I got kicked out because we didn't realize the point was to disable the arms/kill them and we beat the shit out of our opponents. I threw my shield at my "enemy" aka another freshman's face, and then roundhouse kicked the poor guy, then picked up his claymore and legit owned that guy while he was down, which is all illegal (minus throwing the shield). The club leader like ran at me going WTF ARE YOU DOING ARE U RETARDED.

Yeah, it was fun though . Long live Ajax, the bengal beast.

There is a voice in my head that screams at me "Chris, that shit looks fucking awesome!" Unfortunately I am not nearly secure enough in my nerdness to actually ever do it.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    That was hilarious.

Deleted
    Nothing will ever convince me Larping is cool, I play tabletop wargames and read trash ScyFy but Larping takes it to another level.