Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Icathian View Post
    Now, bare with me as English isn't my 1st language, so maybe there's a hidden reason for it that I just might not know about.

Why say words like "heck" and "gosh"? I understand that you're trying to not say the real words because of respect or some other reason, but why not just say something different instead?

Like instead of heck yeah why not say "Oh yeah!" or "That's right!"? Instead of gosh why not say "Oh my!" or any other word really as some people like to use it to begin sentences like "Gosh, I love that car!"

It just feels..a bit silly. Like you're trying to NOT say those words, but you gotta make up a lighter version of the word so that you can say it anyway...?
    ...don't take this as an insult, but you got WAY to much time on your hands if you worry about that. Why do we say such things? Because someone said it and other people caught up on it till we did i guess. I don't know what language your first one is, but i am 100% sure that there are just as many word-cuttings or replacements in whatever tongue it may be. I know that there are plenty in mine for example. German has so many strange sayings and word-replacements, its beyond funny. Especially since we got a quadrillion of different accents as well, even tho few people from outside really know how many.
    Last edited by SoundOfGuns; 2014-04-20 at 06:59 PM.
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azgraal View Post
    I think that isn't an english exclusive trait. For example, in portuguese, one can say "carago" (usually if from the north of the country), "caraças" or "caramba" instead of the stronger "caralho" (a cursing word for penis; or a very bad place). The lighter versions of it lose the first meaning though, only meaning a bad place or simply used as an interjection.

Words have the strenght and value we give them. For some people, curse words are sort of a taboo, so the need for other words to convey the same emotions without sounding vulgar arose.
    I understand intensity, like saying poop instead of shit, but I feel that heck and hell are a bit different, like a make-up powder made of taboo is over the words.

Also, saudações amigo tuga :P

10+ Year Old Account
    what the heck is this?
    You forgot to mention Friggen...

Synonym for "fucking"...... This is friggen hilarious.. This is fucking hilarious.

People just try to be polite I guess, and resort to words that are as close to the cussing, yet still are considered clean language.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Maybe it it because there is nothing smaller than a Portuguese penis, or there is no small penis in Portugal.... you make the choice!
    They say words strike harder than swords. With those right there you might either get in serious trouble or hear a portuguese cheer, it all depends to whom you say them to :P

Also, saudações amigo tuga :P
    Saudações cá do norte o/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    what the heck is this?
    You forgot to mention Friggen...

Synonym for "fucking"...... This is friggen hilarious.. This is fucking hilarious.

People just try to be polite I guess, and resort to words that are as close to the cussing, yet still are considered clean language.
    Friggen? What kind of frikkin/effin accent is that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Friggen? What kind of frikkin/effin accent is that?
    Friggin: About 2,710,000 results
    Friggen: About 1,370,000 results
    Effin: About 875,000 results
    Frikkin: About 749,000 results

All the same meaning... The search results appear to reflect their common usage quite good I guess...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Friggin: About 2,710,000 results
    Friggen: About 1,370,000 results
    Effin: About 875,000 results
    Frikkin: About 749,000 results

All the same meaning... The search results appear to reflect their common usage quite good I guess...
    Frak this.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

apparently in some parts of the US the word "hell" is considered a swear word and so they use the word "heck" as a replacement. "gosh" is just a mild exclamation of surprise

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    apparently in some parts of the US the word "hell" is considered a swear word and so they use the word "heck" as a replacement. "gosh" is just a mild exclamation of surprise
    Heck. Gosh. Geez.
    Hello?
    You know why it (or their equivalents) isn't used?

Quote Originally Posted by Araron View Post
    "Gosh" and "heck" are more of an everyday-use type of words. Nobody,except in cartoons,says "Oh my!" anymore. Its just a personal preference,but a lot of people today use them. Though I admit,I do find "Gosh" a bit annoying.
    you sure about that?

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

15+ Year Old Account
    When I say heck, I never intend it as hell. I say heck because I find "heck" to be fitting. It sounds good. We have the same thing in my language. I've chosen what words I like, which at the same time gives my sentences that extra "push" I feel they sometimes need.

Quote Originally Posted by Araron View Post
    Nobody,except in cartoons,says "Oh my!" anymore.
    I do .

It is the usual hypocritical way of using words to replace profane language, even though we actually are thinking the replaced profane word or even muttering it under our breath. We are basically all guilty of this either because people are trying to be polite or trying to be PC (Which I can't stand, PC can kiss my ass)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarG View Post
    It is the usual hypocritical way of using words to replace profane language, even though we actually are thinking the replaced profane word or even muttering it under our breath. We are basically all guilty of this either because people are trying to be polite or trying to be PC (Which I can't stand, PC can kiss my ass)
    Actually, the "replacement words" are so built into the language by now, that many of us aren't thinking of the origin of it. Honestly, I didn't even know heck replaced hell. I've always known hell could replace heck, but I never knew heck actually came from hell. Heck is strong enough on it's own.

What I do know though, is that I have intentionally replaced the word Gud(God) in my own language with just "Gu" or "Guri". The reason for that is that religion gives a bad taste in my mouth, so saying the name of the main person just makes me aggressive inside.

Besides that, I just pick the words I like the sound of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now, bare with me as English isn't my 1st language, so maybe there's a hidden reason for it that I just might not know about.

Why say words like "heck" and "gosh"? I understand that you're trying to not say the real words because of respect or some other reason, but why not just say something different instead?

Like instead of heck yeah why not say "Oh yeah!" or "That's right!"? Instead of gosh why not say "Oh my!" or any other word really as some people like to use it to begin sentences like "Gosh, I love that car!"

It just feels..a bit silly. Like you're trying to NOT say those words, but you gotta make up a lighter version of the word so that you can say it anyway...?
    But, they're just equally as much of a word than any other word, so in that case why say anything at all then.

"Heck yeah," is kind of a more polite version of "Hell yeah." Adding the hell/heck in there is more expressive of feeling than simple "Oh yeah." And especially in writing where an "Oh yeah" can be taken more than one way.

The people who think heck and gosh sound silly tend to replace them with swear words that escalate the feeling, not go the reverse.

You want to sound silly, add "golly" to it. And maybe start talking like Ned Flanders in general.

Oh my golly gee wiz. Let me go find a poodle skirt and we'll go down to the corner diner and get milkshakes and play the jukebox.
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2014-04-20 at 09:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the 7th commandment:

"You shall not take the name of the lord your God in vain, for the lord will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain."
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post

"You shall not take the name of the lord your God in vain, for the lord will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain."
    Exactly. It's worse than swearing (according to them).
    But I'm sure that God wouldn't be too happy about workarounds they're using.

I've never understood it. I kind of snicker when I hear people use them instead of the real thing. Go big or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post

but gods name is yahweh O-O
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    but gods name is yahweh O-O
    or Jehova...

10+ Year Old Account
    i say some variation of oh my goodness all the time what's the big deal.