Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    If anything, not having to own a car increases your freedom. You don't have the costs associated with it, so you can spend it on other stuff. I probably spend around $320/month on my car right now. I could afford a killer vacation after a few months of not paying that, including renting a car if need be.
    I do own a car though... with my bf. I'm just never driving it, he is . That doesn't mean I make him drive me everywhere though. I'm quite dependant on public transportation. Luckily, by living in a town, I avoid the massive crowd when using it though.

oh how I miss you, my dear Zermatt..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    oh how I miss you, my dear Zermatt..

Is that Matterhorn, where Africa meets Europe?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I live in a suburb of 1,5 million city, but my house is quite close to it's end. So it doesn't really feel like i'm in big city, you can walk 20 minutes and enjoy the forest.

But wouldn't mind to live in a small city or village that has water, internet and a good food store, that's all I need. I work at home anyways, and don't care about things like clubs, fashion shops, bars or cinemas, quiet place and being close to nature is much more important for me.
    Life is short Glory is eternal

15+ Year Old Account
    I am so very confused o.O

I think you are thinking of Gibraltar?

It does look nice though, I think I could live in a small town like that if the internet was really good (like... FIOS)

Generally I'm a big city person: Vancouver, NYC, Tokyo, London. I don't need a ton of space to live comfortably, I like having everything available at all hours of the day, and I generally walk everywhere (which is usually effective only in big cities or small towns).

I hate suburbia.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post

It does look nice though, I think I could live in a small town like that if the internet was really good (like... FIOS)

Generally I'm a big city person: Vancouver, NYC, Tokyo, London. I don't need a ton of space to live comfortably, I like having everything available at all hours of the day, and I generally walk everywhere (which is usually effective only in big cities or small towns).

I hate suburbia.
    Nah, the Matterhorn mountain is where the Eurasian tectonic plate and the African one meet. The top half of the mountain is African and the bottom is Eurasian.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

That is the Matterhorn, yes, that is correct.

My mother was born in a village near the Jungfrau though.

- - - Updated - - -

I hate suburbia.
    Do you even have american-like suburbs in London?

15+ Year Old Account
    Nah, the Matterhorn mountain is where the Eurasian tectonic plate and the African one meet. The top half of the mountain is African and the bottom is Eurasian.
    Hmm, I want to say I learned my lesson of the day from Gen-OT here, but all the tectonic plate maps I find look like this. Mind pointing me to where you found that?

Country-Side. A little bit more peaceful. Tired of constant car noises.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post

Do you even have american-like suburbs in London?
    Oh, I'm not from London - I'm just living here for ~6 months while I finish off a degree. I've lived in New Orleans, Aberdeen (Scotland), Vancouver, Los Angeles, and Paris though And I've travelled a lot of other places

I like cities. I like Rural. Not a fan of Country, though don't ever mind visiting country. Currently in Rural North Idaho.

Cities though, I'd like to make a little bit clear... I can't stand the HUGE cities for living in, such as New York City, LA, San Fran, San Diego, St.Paul, Stockholm..

I do like the smaller-ish cities though, like Seattle, Portland(Oregon), Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Honolulu, Gothenburg... Amsterdam, I'd say may be my limit for a large city that I'd tolerate.

The small towns, though. No too fond of, but my family enjoys them, so, I'm stuck until I move / transfer. :P

There is on other exception: Tokyo. I'd love for a chance to not only visit, but live. I don't care if it's the largest city, it's freakin' Tokyo.

City for sure. Its really nice to spend a week or two at my parents summer home/ranch in the summer or a weekend or so going hunting but more then that I tend to get bored, all you can do is basically chill by the ocean, going out with the boat, water sports(skiing, wakeboarding, diving) etc or go hunting/shooting guns lol, the internet is still good but not many activities in the immediate area, closest small town is like 20 km away, closest bus stop 10 km(so car is good to have). I have been gifted a lot on the land they own so will have my own vacation home built there eventually.

The area is lovely though and all the small towns on the west coast are really buzzing in the summer, full with people like myself or tourists so lots of partying to be had. Lots of germans and norwegians lol

This is the closest village.

Last edited by Jackmoves; 2014-04-20 at 09:57 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Hmm, I want to say I learned my lesson of the day from Gen-OT here, but all the tectonic plate maps I find look like this. Mind pointing me to where you found that?
    According to wikipedia, a part of the African plate broke off and is now part of the Alps. Sauce
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Forgot to mention cost benefit off living inn a small city (if it wasent cause off commuting for some people working far away, driving).

Anywho if you lived inn Århus or Copenhagen inn Denmark a 1 room apartment nothing fancy is easly 800 dollars inn rent. One off my cousins lived inn Århus together with a friend, and the bath included bathing over the toilet etc...you get it.

Inn my city I live proboaly the cheapest possibely; 1 room apartment, decent condition inn a fine area (from my pov anyway) at its about 350-400 dollars rent, not included electricity since thats liberal inn Denmark, aka you can choose your own power company.

So yea...If you can live with commuting small cities are cheap. I pay about 50 dollars a month for train card thingie.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    According to wikipedia, a part of the African plate broke off and is now part of the Alps. Sauce
    Oooh neat - so it's not the african plate of today - but it is originally from the plate

The More You Know! .--*

Deleted
    sewers ,my suggestion

- - - Updated - - -

based on tree

10+ Year Old Account
    If the countryside had good internet i'd move lol.

Oh, I'm not from London - I'm just living here for ~6 months while I finish off a degree. I've lived in New Orleans, Aberdeen (Scotland), Vancouver, Los Angeles, and Paris though And I've travelled a lot of other places
    oh... well, where do you live then? I mean.... most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    wall of text
    Don't you live in Gothenburg anyway?
    I don't think it's a big city, at least I didn't seem so when I visited.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    My ideal would be in the country ~30m - 1 hour from the city. Easily doable around SF, but I don't quite have the financial resources to afford what I'd like quite yet. I enjoy parts of the city, there being things to do and a wide array of types of people to do them with is much nicer than small towns or countrysides where you're often surrounded by people of similar means and ethnic makeup..at least where I grew up it was that way.

Small town for sure. I can't stand cities, too many people. Countryside is really nice and peaceful, but usually too far from cities to get proper internet service and the like. Small towns are right in the middle.