Deleted

A proper tank for raid?

Hey guys. Been thinking lately about start tanking in SoO (raids in general).

I have never tanked at max level before, so this will be the first.

What sounds best in this current patch, prot paladin or guardian druid?

+/- with both these would be prime, thanks in advance.

How about you start by helping those helping you, rather than asking vague and subjective questions?

Do you already have a raid group? Are you planning on raiding 10 or 25? Are you hoping to do heroics (if no there's no reason not to take any tank)? Do you already have 90 pally/druid (why no DK, Monk, War)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Prot paladin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryve View Post
    How about you start by helping those helping you, rather than asking vague and subjective questions?

Do you already have a raid group? Are you planning on raiding 10 or 25? Are you hoping to do heroics (if no there's no reason not to take any tank)? Do you already have 90 pally/druid (why no DK, Monk, War)?
    I only have a 90 mage atm, thinking of buying instant 90 and i want to tank, no i don't aim for HC, at least aiming for normal 25.

Deleted
    Here is a list of tanks who can tank everything in MoP:

- Blood Death Knight
    - Brewmaster Monk
    - Guardian Druid
    - Protection Paladin
    - Protection Warrior

In short, everything with a tank spec can tank everything.

Warriors and paladins might be some of the best tanks when it comes to very stable damage intake overall. But this pretty much shifts every patch and there isnt a single tanking class that is just straight up lacluster compared to the others.

Personally i cnat play the monk as a tank. I've tanked on every class that has a tank spec, and i've tanked since vanilla. But the Monk i just cant get to work. I know all the mechanics, i just still find myself to be to squishy, especially in situations with a lot of adds.

Like all tanks Warlock tanks are getting their raid utility reduced but are still a good choice.

Play whatever you have the most experience with, or find the most fun.

Yea, I would agree. I have seen all the tank classes do well if played properly. And they all have little hang ups that can make you bad if you don't play them properly. I have a prot paladin and a BM monk. The only thing I can say against the prot paladin is their AOE threat generation seems to get trumped quite often by other tanks. But, the prot paladin's survivability is threw the roof. I can take so much dmg with my prot paladin. The only problem I seem to have is in situations where there is a lot of adds that need picked up. Even with consecration and hammer of the righteous if the other tank is using his AOE threat abilities they steal agro almost everytime. AND YES RIGHTOUS FURY IS UP!!! ( troll awareness) My BM monk no problem at all. Throw dizzying haze anywhere you need it and it will pull agro off of almost anyone and anything. My prot paladin even with consecration down and spamming hammer of the righteous if the other tank is a BM monk and they throw a dizzying haze...oh yea I just lost agro. However, the prot paladin can live threw almost anything. You have so many life saving Cooldowns that you can just keep going. BM monks do not have that many Cooldowns to save there ass. But, their passive avoidance abilities make up for there lack of CDs. I mean with shuffle buff up and elusive brew up. What is there to worry about.

Even though I haven't personally played any of the other classes. I have seen Dks, warriors and guardian druids all play well.

Pick my class threads are against forum rules.

That said, I find Guardian Druids are more consistent (though Prot is more fun to play imo).

Deleted
    Im main tank for out guild 6/12 HC with a Brm tank but i got all tankingclasses as alts and cleared most of normal SoO with em, got around 550 on all of them.

Brm is really fun right now, topping dps and snapaggro, kinda shame we dont have many CDs to play around with.

Palla tank is all about healing. You probably wont top DPS but you can top healing meters quite easily. Real nice raid CDs and regular CDs to play around with. This one can be a bit tricky at first since you must maximize your uptime on shield of the rigtheous and that requiers you to actaully know the abilites youre facing.

Guardian druid is quite good on DPSing and can be really versatile. You want more dps? go incarnation talent.
    Want more healing? throw in a natures vigil or dream of cenarious.
    Its all about using abilites with a fixed CD to reset the CD on mangle, so you basically press like 4 diffrent abilites and press a 5th one in between em.

With this said, and what i think is the most important for you to make a wise choice said, i would recommend going druid.

You should roll Druid if you have never tanked. In their current state, once you get a decent ilvl (like 510 or so) you can pretty much just go afk after getting aggro. Alternatively, if you feel like sitting at your keyboard the whole time, then you can just macro Savage Defense and Barkskin into Mangle. It's especially effective once you get the 4-piece. Seriously, it's what many 14/14H druid tanks do.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzhoof View Post
    You should roll Druid if you have never tanked. In their current state, once you get a decent ilvl (like 510 or so) you can pretty much just go afk after getting aggro.
    Then a Brewmaster Monk runs in and Keg Smashes.

*Changed Target*
    *Changed Target*
    *Changed Target*
    *Changed Target*
    *Changed Target*
    *Changed Target*
    *Changed Target*
    *Changed Target*
    *Changed Target*

My biggest problem with Guardian Druids is just how passive their mitigation feels and how little impact you feel you have.

On my Blood DK for example, I'll get hit for half my HP, I'll Death Strike it back, get hit again, Rune Tap, etc You feel you have a lot of control over your own HP and playing badly could get you killed very quickly.

Then I log my Guardian Druid. Stand still, watch your HP go very slowly down. Press buttons to watch your HP go down even slower. Crap your on low HP, RIP.
    Last edited by Anzen; 2014-04-22 at 10:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both the classes you listed are nice, guardian probably a little more relaxed. Downside is you can't see your gear. And to the poster above, guardian definitely has tools to self-heal, renewal, proc healing touch, frenzied regen etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    Both the classes you listed are nice, guardian probably a little more relaxed. Downside is you can't see your gear. And to the poster above, guardian definitely has tools to self-heal, renewal, proc healing touch, frenzied regen etc.
    Whilst there's no debate Guardian Druids do have self heals (Frenzied Regen, Healing Touch if specced DoC, Renewal if specced), none of them seem to have a great impact (with the exception of Renewal, but a lot of people don't use it).

You should roll Druid if you have never tanked. In their current state, once you get a decent ilvl (like 510 or so) you can pretty much just go afk after getting aggro.
    I will add that if you decide to tank with your paladin. You should be aware that paladins are gear reliant. The Prot. Paladin in order to be a good to great tank is dependent on your Haste level and all that haste comes from gear. So, a prot paladin really won't be that effective on Normal until you get a haste of about 30 percent. if your Below that you need to start farming LFR. BrM monks are not gear reliant. At all. Most of there avoidance is a passive static statistic. Meaning elusive brew gives the same amout of dodge with an ilvl of 496 that it does with an ilvl of 570 and Shuffle buff is the same way. Now, that doesn't mean that gear doesn't effect your game play on the BrM. But, you will find it easier to tank SoO n with junk gear rather than a Pally tank. It sounds like guardian druids are also not gear reliant. So, if your looking to slide into SoO with a questionably low ilvl prolly might want to avoid prot paladins. But, if your willing to run LFR for a few weeks it's really not that difficult to get enough haste out of a your Pally to pull it off. I used to tank normal with Timeless token pieces and did it well enough. I'm not saying I was the best in the gear that I had but I was able to get threw the first 2 wings no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Pick my class threads are against forum rules.

That said, I find Guardian Druids are more consistent (though Prot is more fun to play imo).
    Tankadin is great fun to play but aoe snap threat is an issue but hopefully getting fixed somewhat in WoD with ability changes.

I find druid tanking much easier then pala or brew master, but really enjoy the mobility and usefulness of my warrior tho.

Ps... hey anzen lol

Deleted
    You're not even gonna do heroic world first progress, you can play absolutely any class you like mate, simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lince View Post
    You're not even gonna do heroic world first progress, you can play absolutely any class you like mate, simple as that.
    Cheers for clearing this up for the OP. There is no doubt in my mind the OP was confused into thinking he was doing heroic world first progress and was forced to play a specific class.

It's lucky you posted to be honest.

I still vote Guardian for consistency.

Yoo Mike.