10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third

Major problem need help

K so today i went to my brother in laws to get ram put in, got it put in turned it on everything worked great all the ram was added up everything was there. There was a problem with my nephews computer so i was going to check his graphics card if it failed or not so i unplugged mine but i didnt take it out or anything because he got it working at the last second before i took it out. Anyway, after that i plugged it all back in didnt check it though to see if it worked or not. So i take it home and here comes the worst easter ever, the computer turns on but i have no display image i checked the cords, even took out the ram i added in thinking that was it but it wasnt, checked the graphics card and it was plugged in yet no display image. What is going on?!

- - - Updated - - -

K so i plugged it through the mother board and not through the graphics card and everythings working but the graphics card ports dont work any ideas?
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Im confused. you say you unplugged your video card, but did not take it out? Does that mean you just disconnected the power supply leads, but did not remove it from the motherboard socket? If that is the case, simply checking to make sure that ALL the power leads are connected back to the Video card should solve the problem (most modern vid cards have two seperate power connectors, a large one and a smaller one), check to make sure both are plugged in.

Assuming you never removed the card from the mother board, that should be that. Unless you knocked something around while moving the PC from one house to another.

Cant really see that simply unplugging and re-plugging the power leads to the vid card would kill the card, unless you were not properly grounded when doing so, and managed to give the card a bad enough static electric shock to fry something, but I am pretty sure you would have noticed if you did.

Edit: Just noticed you said you tested through the motherboard and everything worked. This implies that you have Onboard Video on the motherboard? It is possible that the Onboard video is conflicting with / takeing prioritory over your Video Card. You could check your bios settings to see if there is an option to disable the Onboard Video or force the system to use the Video Card rather then Onboard?
    Last edited by Surfd; 2014-04-21 at 05:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Im confused. you say you unplugged your video card, but did not take it out? Does that mean you just disconnected the power supply leads, but did not remove it from the motherboard socket? If that is the case, simply checking to make sure that ALL the power leads are connected back to the Video card should solve the problem (most modern vid cards have two seperate power connectors, a large one and a smaller one), check to make sure both are plugged in.

Assuming you never removed the card from the mother board, that should be that. Unless you knocked something around while moving the PC from one house to another.

Cant really see that simply unplugging and re-plugging the power leads to the vid card would kill the card, unless you were not properly grounded when doing so, and managed to give the card a bad enough static electric shock to fry something, but I am pretty sure you would have noticed if you did.

Edit: Just noticed you said you tested through the motherboard and everything worked. This implies that you have Onboard Video on the motherboard? It is possible that the Onboard video is conflicting with / takeing prioritory over your Video Card. You could check your bios settings to see if there is an option to disable the Onboard Video or force the system to use the Video Card rather then Onboard?
    I have no idea about all the bios settings my brother in law is the computer wiz XD but yea about those power cords there was 2 of them 1 with no numbers on it and another with like 1 2 3 so should i plug them both in?
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    I have no idea about all the bios settings my brother in law is the computer wiz XD but yea about those power cords there was 2 of them 1 with no numbers on it and another with like 1 2 3 so should i plug them both in?
    Both should be plugged in. DO NOT FORCE THE CONNECTORS. The way they are designed, there is only one way the connectors should go into the sockets, and each socket should be different. One should be a large, long connector with probably 8 pins in it (been a while since i looked inside my PC), the other should be shorter, with 4 or 6 pins.

Both of those should be connected to the proper outputs from the Power Supply.

10+ Year Old Account
    K i'll try plugging them both in brb in a few

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Both should be plugged in. DO NOT FORCE THE CONNECTORS. The way they are designed, there is only one way the connectors should go into the sockets, and each socket should be different. One should be a large, long connector with probably 8 pins in it (been a while since i looked inside my PC), the other should be shorter, with 4 or 6 pins.

Both of those should be connected to the proper outputs from the Power Supply.
    I plugged them both in to the graphics card and now they are stuck perfect.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    K i'll try plugging them both in brb in a few

- - - Updated - - -

I plugged them both in to the graphics card and now they are stuck perfect.....
    Did you force them in? It would take a pretty large amount of force to do it. Otherwise, they should come right out if you use the little plastic levers on them.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Got them off, since i added like 12gb think its my power supply thats causing it?

adding more ram to your PC shouldnt have any real impact on your power supply. If the Power Supply Unit you have can power you Motherboard, it can do it with as much or as little ram as your Motherboard will support without even noticing the change.

I would reccomend looking into the possibility that booting your PC without the proper power going to the Video Card caused the BIOS to default to using your Onboard Video. Try checking your bios settings to see if you can disable the onboard video.

And make sure that your video card has both Power Connectors connected.