Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Except Conan.
    The redhead talk show host or the barbarian?

Edit: Damnit obdigore
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I CAME FIRST!

Phrasing, BAM!
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    Better to not have a section on Finland than a few pages of useless stereotypes. It's not as insulting as it is confusing.
    But there were no stereotyping there, just culturally relevant and probably most well known brands from US that are world wide. How many thick skulls does this thread have? x.x
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

That's pretty hilarious and shows how much contempt people have to "outsiders". I don't think stereotypes that specific belong in teaching books, but there are a lot of overweight americans. (Some even have daily visits. The more adventurous eat there 3+ times a day.) While not usually in textbooks, stereotypes are around because they are largely true. (or previously were, ie americans-fast food, blacks-crime, Europeans-arrogant and largely American haters, Brazilians-largely awful at games, etc.)

Also, I get a feeling this was cherry picked. And yes I'm American, but unfortunately not obese.
    Stay salty my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Krommm View Post
    That's pretty hilarious and shows how much contempt people have to "outsiders". I don't think stereotypes that specific belong in teaching books, but there are a lot of overweight americans. (Some even have daily visits. The more adventurous eat there 3+ times a day.) While not usually in textbooks, stereotypes are around because they are largely true. (or previously were, ie americans-fast food, blacks-crime, Europeans-arrogant and largely American haters, Brazilians-largely awful at games, etc.)

Also, I get a feeling this was cherry picked. And yes I'm American, but unfortunately not obese.
    This wasn't cherry picked. It was intentionally misled by OP and everyone got the bait.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted

Slacker! Go eat some Big Macs and respect your traditions!!

Deleted
    Its either english school or english lesson, but there is not that kind of stuff on history or geographic lessons.

Ironically, people in NZ who vacation in the US (or come here to study or work or whatever) are all told they are going to get fat because:

1) Food is cheaper
    2) Portions are bigger
    3) Drinks are more alcoholic
    4) We use cars to get everywhere because the majority is so spread out
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Deleted
    Ironically, people in NZ who vacation in the US (or come here to study or work or whatever) are all told they are going to get fat because:

1) Food is cheaper
    2) Portions are bigger
    3) Drinks are more alcoholic
    4) We use cars to get everywhere because the majority is so spread out
    Sorry I might have missed a point, but why would that be ironical?

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Sorry I might have missed a point, but why would that be ironical?
    Because so many people are like 'US ISN'T THE FATTEST'? I mean, everything I listed is true and does go to our obesity rates.

Its ok, all the other western nations obesity rates are climbing as we export our shitty fast food franchises and delicious beers to you :P
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    You've got the exchange backwards. Them having an impact on us ===> them being significant. We don't just automatically delegate one nation as significant, and than suddenly they become a major economic, societal, cultural, military, or whatnot influence on us.
    That's the backwards attitude. You don't consider anyone significant until you are forced to. It's a bit like the debate of whether the world is round or flat back in the days. The nay-sayers were stubborn in their view until they were forced to accept the fact due to the huge pressure throughout the globe that the world is round. Just like Americans are stubborn in their America-centric view of the world.

I used this example earlier, but I'll say it again:
    Men didn't care about women's opinions until very recently. Men didn't care, because they didn't need to. Men considered the opinions of women insignificant. Men were stupid, selfish and wrong. When the pressure for freedom of women became high enough, men had to change their views. Men opened their eyes and acknowledged that women are equal and their voice matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuax View Post
    *snip*
    Obviously stuff about Finland shouldn't be taught in American schools. They should be taught to be open and curious about other countries - America is not the center of the world.

The US history isn't that much different from Finland - it's actually shorter and consists some more wars mostly due to American actions after WW2 (Korea, Vietnam, Middle East).

Although I find the video more funny than anything else, I am very surprised and disappointed that the Finnish have a section dedicated to this. Seems like a waste of taxes and time, just can't see any practical use to it. Still, there are worse things to be represented by than The Simpsons and Ronald McDonald.

Then again, that guy in the video has been accused of fraudulent practices in his documentaries for years. No one has been able to replicate his results from "Supersize Me" for one. Wouldn't be surprised if this video was a farce.
    It's an English language course. Not history/geography/social studies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Yep. I think Finland needs to take a note from the United States and try and emulate the section in US textbooks about Finland and how they approach them.

Oh wait, the US doesn't have a section for Finland, because... no one in the US gives a shit about Finland.
    ^One more example of Murica right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    Because so many people are like 'US ISN'T THE FATTEST'? I mean, everything I listed is true and does go to our obesity rates.

Its ok, all the other western nations obesity rates are climbing as we export our shitty fast food franchises and delicious beers to you :P
    Oh I see it now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Better to not have a section on Finland than a few pages of useless stereotypes. It's not as insulting as it is confusing.
    It was an English language course.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    It was an English language course.
    UR AN ENGLISH LANGUAGE COURSE!!!!!

Seriously though. The 'Double Down' is back at KFC. Wanna talk getting fat?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    ^One more example of Murica right there.
    Tell me I'm incorrect.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

15+ Year Old Account

Where in that video was Americans being overweight mentioned? You heard the words "McDonald's" and "Pepsi". Who is the one drawing stereotypes here?

By the way, not everyone who eats a hamburger or drinks Pepsi is overweight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Tell me I'm incorrect.
    You aren't, and that exactly is the problem. Not about Finland per se, but other countries as a whole.

- - - Updated - - -

UR AN ENGLISH LANGUAGE COURSE!!!!!

Seriously though. The 'Double Down' is back at KFC. Wanna talk getting fat?
    Umm, what?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Except if it were negative stereotypes being taught in school, such as the ones in that video, like bad dental hygiene and alcoholic tendencies you would take issue.
    Like everyone know that Finland has the most suicides commited every year? We like to kill ourselves in Finland.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Who's obsessed with your culture? Europeans don't give a fuck about you as long as you stay far away from them.
    THIS! murica tends to push their troops everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebinnaattori View Post
    Like everyone know that Finland has the most suicides commited every year? We like to kill ourselves in Finland.
    I thought that honor goes to Japan while Finland being a close 2nd.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the backwards attitude. You don't consider anyone significant until you are forced to. It's a bit like the debate of whether the world is round or flat back in the days. The nay-sayers were stubborn in their view until they were forced to accept the fact due to the huge pressure throughout the globe that the world is round. Just like Americans are stubborn in their America-centric view of the world.
    " the quality of being important : the quality of having notable worth or influence"
    Let's just stick with the actual definitions. You don't randomly ZOOP and get the attention of an entire country. This has nothing, not a god damn thing, to do with thinking the world is flat. Do you have a major cultural, economic, societal, or military influence on the USA? No? Then you are not significant in relation to the USA. It's really not a difficult concept. It has nothing to do with "American-centric" views, it has everything to do with your nation's ability to influence in some way or another, which is minimal, and you've done nothing to show that it isn't.

I used this example earlier, but I'll say it again:
    Men didn't care about women's opinions until very recently. Men didn't care, because they didn't need to. Men considered the opinions of women insignificant. Men were stupid, selfish and wrong. When the pressure for freedom of women became high enough, men had to change their views. Men opened their eyes and acknowledged that women are equal and their voice matters.
    I never said we didn't care, I said you're not significant. There is a very large difference. You could be significant in a bad way you know, which is where the oppression of women first started in cultures. Control your woman, control your line. Yada yada.

Didn't say your voice didn't matter. I said it doesn't have much of an influence on us. We treat you as a respected sovereign nation, but activities and policies your nation/population engages in does not ripple across the Atlantic. You have a minimal impact on us. I'm still unsure why this is a difficult concept to grasp. I'm really not insulting your nation, it's just a statement of fact that your country does not influence ours very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).