Poll: Do video games make people violent?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Thumbs down Bill O'Reilly thinks Super Smash Bros is making kids violent.

Recently, there was a Nintendo Direct about Super Smash Bros. If you don't know what it is, think of a cross between Street Fighter and Mario.

Anyway, Bill O'Reilly thinks that fighting characters from your favorite E to T rated games will make children more violent than if they were to play M rated games.

He said:
    “Kids these days play first person shooter games because they know they aren’t real. They understand that these games with highly advanced graphics and extreme violence aren’t to be emulated in real life. That’s the reason they’re made to look so realistic: so we know we don’t have to do this when we turn the TV off. However, when you put a bunch of cute, colorful characters in a boxing ring and have them swing laser swords at each other, what message is that going to send to our little ones? Many of us learned valuable lessons from Looney Tunes growing up, or Garfield the Cat. Now, with Super Smash Bros., kids will want to throw bombs at each other and “smash” peoples’ heads in. At least Call of Duty doesn’t have “Smash” in the title, it’s an honorable name that pays tribute to all the soldiers in the past who served their country.”
    I decided to make a poll as well. Do violent video games make people violent?
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    I get violent when I play it with my friends. Maybe he has a point?
    You're a towel.

Deleted
    They tried to ban the Original Mortal Kombat because it made people into serial killers, things never change.

Chelly
    And Pokémon makes kids try out dog fighting.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    They tried to ban the Original Mortal Kombat because it made people into serial killers, things never change.

I remember the uproar about that game. Only made me want it more :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Recently, there was a Nintendo Direct about Super Smash Bros. If you don't know what it is, think of a cross between Street Fighter and Mario.

Anyway, Bill O'Reilly thinks that fighting characters from your favorite E to T rated games will make children more violent than if they were to play M rated games.
    You put 'Bill O'Reilly' and 'thinks' in the same sentence.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    How to get attention, make an outrageous statement and experience great success!

I wouldn't value too much what come out such people their mouth they are paid to draw attention so their opinion is automatically devalued for that reason. We all know that the only anger caused by games is caused by the frustration of being bad or feeling hindered by clumsy controls and what not, all the rest is hogwash.

Kids get angry and start throwing pieces if the lose a board game, it's the same thing some can stand losing others can't
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Where's the "Who Gives a Shit What Bill O'Reilly Thinks?" option?

10+ Year Old Account
    Is this just another 'bash Fox News' thread? He's not alone in having that opinion.

In the latest work to address the question, published in the journal JAMA Pediatrics, scientists led by Craig Anderson, director of the center for the study of violence at Iowa State University, found hints that violent video games may set kids up to react in more hostile and violent ways.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.
    Video games don't make people violent. Violent people are violent.

10+ Year Old Account
    And other studies show the opposite results, when delivering studies one musts follow the money trail of such studies first. In this day and age studies are ordered to proof or disproof whatever you like as long you are paying they'll be claiming.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    Is this just another 'bash Fox News' thread? He's not alone in having that opinion.
    Even though it's about Bill O'Reilly, I thought it was hilarious to claim that Super Smash Bros is some sort of "worse" violent game than other violent games.

I am sure there are people who have mental issues and when playing a violent video game may get an idea to act out in hostility, but there is an underlying issue there.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Who are they kidding Tag was the most dangerous game I have battle scares from my youth.

Super Smash Bros makes me want to ask people to show their moves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Super Smash Bros makes me want to ask people to show their moves.
    It makes me want to strangle the people that play Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

So things that are less grounded in reality people are more likely to emulate? Getting headshots in a first person shooter with guns that exist in real life is less likely to perpetuate violence that a game that has no basis in real life with cute characters "smash"ing eachother around.

First of all both games are probably releasing a lot of violent tension rather than instilling it, secondly I think Bill O'Reilly says some of the dumbest shit in the world just so that more people will talk about him. He's also gunning for angry old man "get off my lawn" half senile man of the year, seriously I wonder if when people played cowboys and indians in the 1920s when he was a young lad if he wondered if it perpetuated violence.

The only reason smash bros incites violence is because the kids are pissed they got a wii u and not a ps4.

10+ Year Old Account
    ban all video games immediately. bill o'reilly has spoken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pro Tip: If you're quoting Bill O'Reilly, there's about a 99.9% chance he's talking out of his anus. That's kinda why Fox News pays him. His job is to stir up outrage in the American religious right. Great thing about that job, you don't have to be intelligent nor correct to do it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Esdese View Post
    And Pokémon makes kids try out dog fighting.
    And breeding with Pokémon!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    ban all video games immediately. bill o'reilly has spoken.
    Just hope he doesn't start speaking truth and telling parents they make actually have to teach their kids stuff instead of blaming video games that have the violence akin to the likes of my little pony.